The Lake St.Clair Network: FEMA Changed the Flood Maps in the Shores - The Lake St.Clair Network

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FEMA Changed the Flood Maps in the Shores Trying to make up for recent losses

#1 User is offline   Tazzman714 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: SCS My Back Yard
  • Boat Type:1994 Fountain 31TE
  • Boat Name: Here Fishy Fishy

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I am not able to float my boat at this time because the water is so low. But the Goverment wants $2300.00 a year for flood insurance.

My mortgagecompany notified me that due to a change in the flood map for St Clair Shores Ihave to provide proof or buy into the nationalflood insurance program. Is this just FEMA trying to make up forrecent losses elsewhere in the country? I sure don't know... Of course, no one wants to be in a flood plain you don't want to pay thepremiums and it makes your house less desirable when you sell. But if you liveon the lake or a canal in St Clair Shores now, chances are you are in the sameboat as I am. You may not hear anything from your lender, though, especially ifthey are big and you don't do anything to get their attention.
I already have had to hire a surveyor orcivil engineer experienced in this sort of thing to get a certified elevationof my home. To find out that my basement will flood. so $2300 X 100years is $230,000 on a chance that the water is going to come up about 7' to flood my basement.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is online   Barty Time 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

What canal are you on? A friend of mine just bought on LaVon last year because the house had a basement and no flood ins was required. I wonder if he is in the same boat, no pun intended?

#3 User is offline   Mr. Becker 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: GPW Lakefront Park
  • Boat Type:Caravelle Interceptor 232 BR
  • Boat Name: Uncle Louie

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

ommon sense would say if the lake levels have gone down the flood plain should receed no t expand?!? :uhm

sorry to hear.... I'd agree a 7 foot rise in the canal would take a hundred years before we'd see it

FEEMA should go demand flood insurance from folks living behind levees :1eye

Running On Empty

#4 User is offline   canaller 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Algonac Harbour Club, Driveway, Boathouse
  • Boat Type:Chris Craft 281, Starcraft 18', Gamefisher 14'
  • Boat Name: Leucothea, New Adventure

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I am on a canal in Algonac and I got an elevation certificate which reduced my premium. The next year, 2 years ago, they changed the maps and put me in a higher risk zone. My premiums doubled. I just got my letter from FEMA telling me I'm a good citizen for buying flood insurance and FEMA provided the name and number for my insurance agency to help make sure I renew on time. Like I have a choice since Congress mandated that we have to buy flood insurance. Everybody got up in arms about mandated health insurance when the "make 'em buy insurance" pony had long since left the barn with the requirement to buy insurance from private insurance companies as part of the national flood plan.

I will write my annual letter to Candy Miller, complete with FEMA paid for advertising for my insurance company. She won't respond, or do anything for that matter, my premium will go up some more and the sting will slowly wear off until this time next year when the process will start all over again. All this for a house that has never flooded since it was built in 1919. FEMA did tell me I'm a good citizen though for giving my insurance company money for insurance I don't need or want. So I've got that going for me.

#5 User is offline   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

we have records on water levels going back nearly 300 years.. .and pretty good data for over 150 years. From what I can tell, the mid-80's were the peak. Would either of your properties have flooded then? I recall the water being 'really high', but still lower than most of the banks around the lake. Seems like the real need for the temporary dikes they installed was for wave and wake action, or were the levels higher than I recall?

#6 User is offline   Away Point 

• LSCN Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

You guys are using logic, and acting like water levels have anything to do it.

FEMA is hungry, and must be fed. Its for the children...
There are 2 seasons; Boating season, and Waiting for boating season.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Sloppy Saturday 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Boat Type:320 Sundancer
  • Boat Name: Shenanigans

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

That is odd because we were just informed that they revised the flood maps in our area (venice shores) and no longer are required to hold flood insurance. FEMA re-zoned us as "X500" vs. AE. We just got our whole years premium back from our insurance company.

#8 User is offline   sea urchin 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Home Port: North Channel
  • Boat Type:Sea Ray 280ss

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

for those that are paying for flood insurance, i would double check to see if you are still in fact in a flood plain

this information has changed twice in the last 4 years

I was able to get a loma letter not requiring flood insurance

http://www.voicenews...d1747788220.txt

#9 User is offline   Smirnoff 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Flats
  • Boat Type:Offshore, Jet, PWC, Utility, Pram, Hydroplane
  • Boat Name: Boat Name

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Mortgage paid off = No flood insurance!

#10 User is offline   canaller 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Algonac Harbour Club, Driveway, Boathouse
  • Boat Type:Chris Craft 281, Starcraft 18', Gamefisher 14'
  • Boat Name: Leucothea, New Adventure

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postsmirnoff, on 18 March 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Mortgage paid off = No flood insurance!

Almost there.

#11 User is offline   SeaRayShay 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: Lange Island
  • Boat Type:238 Vista
  • Boat Name: BOATWEISER

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostTazzman714, on 18 March 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

I am not able to float my boat at this time because the water is so low. But the Goverment wants $2300.00 a year for flood insurance.

My mortgagecompany notified me that due to a change in the flood map for St Clair Shores Ihave to provide proof or buy into the nationalflood insurance program. Is this just FEMA trying to make up forrecent losses elsewhere in the country? I sure don't know... Of course, no one wants to be in a flood plain you don't want to pay thepremiums and it makes your house less desirable when you sell. But if you liveon the lake or a canal in St Clair Shores now, chances are you are in the sameboat as I am. You may not hear anything from your lender, though, especially ifthey are big and you don't do anything to get their attention.
I already have had to hire a surveyor orcivil engineer experienced in this sort of thing to get a certified elevationof my home. To find out that my basement will flood. so $2300 X 100years is $230,000 on a chance that the water is going to come up about 7' to flood my basement.

I live right down the street from you. I am third house on the right on the South side of Lange. I recently received the same letter from my Mortgage company, Wells Fargo. I called and spoke to their insurance department to dispute the recent change in the flood zone. They told me they were going to call FEMA and call me back. Within 24 hours. The next day I received a call stating I was not in any flood zone and insurance was not required. I recommend trying the same thing. Good Luck. Shayne

#12 User is offline   tcg 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

This is how we spent 1984 and we did fill many many sand bags. The water never entered our house(still a cottage at the time). Others in the area weren't so lucky. My dad put a new seawall in that year and raised the yard 18 inches with what was dredged from the canal.

When I tore the house down 18 years ago I raised it up 2 blocks. Had I known what I know now about flood insurance I would have gone one more block. It would have saved me some money on the flood insurance.

Attached File  flood-004.jpg (25.58K)
Number of downloads: 13

Attached File  flood-003.jpg (32.36K)
Number of downloads: 13

Attached File  flood-002.jpg (33.4K)
Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  flood-001.jpg (33.55K)
Number of downloads: 8
Posted Image

#13 User is online   ibdeadeye 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: Algonac
  • Boat Type:Bayliner Capri1950
  • Boat Name: CK' N OUT

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I also live in Algonac, I bought a repo house 2 years ago. When I got my insurance I was told my house was in a flood plain. My reply was I never saw any folding in my area and I'm 63. The house was built in 1900. He went back and shuffled some papers and came back and said it appeared I was correct not a flood area. I'M wondering now, if our area has been included.

View Postcanaller, on 18 March 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

I am on a canal in Algonac and I got an elevation certificate which reduced my premium. The next year, 2 years ago, they changed the maps and put me in a higher risk zone. My premiums doubled. I just got my letter from FEMA telling me I'm a good citizen for buying flood insurance and FEMA provided the name and number for my insurance agency to help make sure I renew on time. Like I have a choice since Congress mandated that we have to buy flood insurance. Everybody got up in arms about mandated health insurance when the "make 'em buy insurance" pony had long since left the barn with the requirement to buy insurance from private insurance companies as part of the national flood plan.

I will write my annual letter to Candy Miller, complete with FEMA paid for advertising for my insurance company. She won't respond, or do anything for that matter, my premium will go up some more and the sting will slowly wear off until this time next year when the process will start all over again. All this for a house that has never flooded since it was built in 1919. FEMA did tell me I'm a good citizen though for giving my insurance company money for insurance I don't need or want. So I've got that going for me.

#14 User is offline   Rocco 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

It gets worse, I live on an inland lake in Commerce Twp and three years ago I recieved a note from my bank requiring flood insurance and if I did not purchase it I would be forced to pay thru escrow for a policy the bank provided. I fought with FEMA for 8 months about this as my neighbors did as well filing all kinds of paperwork etc. I even went as far as getting my property surveyed at a cost of about $1100.00 which showed that my "real property" (structure)was not in the flood zone but a corner of my property was! Your deed will refer to real property and if that is not in the zone you DO NOT require the flood policy according to my attorney.....weeeelll the bank refused to recognize MY surveyors results and they said you have to use a Bank Of America APPROVED surveyor!!!! go figure....I was screwed, so Allstate gave me a policy for 376.00 per year which I paid for over the next three years THEN I get a letter from FEMA (3 years later) stating that "after carerful review I no longer required flood insurance!!!!!!! This is where it gets worse.. I had just renewed my policy at 376.00 so I called to cancel immediately now that it wasn't required right? WRONG AGAIN, FEMA would not allow me /Allstate to cancel and said I have to carry it until the policy lapses!!!! TRUE story, in fact Im still battling with Allstate on this one.

#15 User is offline   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostRocco, on 19 March 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

It gets worse, I live on an inland lake in Commerce Twp and three years ago I recieved a note from my bank requiring flood insurance and if I did not purchase it I would be forced to pay thru escrow for a policy the bank provided. I fought with FEMA for 8 months about this as my neighbors did as well filing all kinds of paperwork etc. I even went as far as getting my property surveyed at a cost of about $1100.00 which showed that my "real property" (structure)was not in the flood zone but a corner of my property was! Your deed will refer to real property and if that is not in the zone you DO NOT require the flood policy according to my attorney.....weeeelll the bank refused to recognize MY surveyors results and they said you have to use a Bank Of America APPROVED surveyor!!!! go figure....I was screwed, so Allstate gave me a policy for 376.00 per year which I paid for over the next three years THEN I get a letter from FEMA (3 years later) stating that "after carerful review I no longer required flood insurance!!!!!!! This is where it gets worse.. I had just renewed my policy at 376.00 so I called to cancel immediately now that it wasn't required right? WRONG AGAIN, FEMA would not allow me /Allstate to cancel and said I have to carry it until the policy lapses!!!! TRUE story, in fact Im still battling with Allstate on this one.

Sure seems like there should be some recourse in situations like this, not only to get your past payments back, but to get the $1100 that you had to pay to prove that you didn't have to pay.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.