• You cannot reply to this topic

Dickinson Island

#1 User is offline   yossarian 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Boat Type:2008 Tidewater 1900 F115

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Trucks are rolling back and forth the center of Dickinson Island, What are they doing?
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Tidewater Baymax 1900, F115

#2 User is offline   tcg 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postyossarian, on 05 May 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Trucks are rolling back and forth the center of Dickinson Island, What are they doing?

It has something to do with this.

http://www.miseagran...-fact-sheet.pdf

or they are preparing the landing strip for the spacecraft.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

View Posttcg, on 05 May 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postyossarian, on 05 May 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

It has something to do with this.

http://www.miseagran...-fact-sheet.pdf

or they are preparing the landing strip for the spacecraft.

Must be a year behind schedule....

"and are constructing a third reef in the Middle Channel of the St. Clair River in spring 2012."

I wonder how much this is going to help the water levels in Huron and Michigan... afterall, this project is similar to ones proposed farther upstream. ;)

#4 User is offline   sea urchin 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Home Port: North Channel
  • Boat Type:Sea Ray 280ss

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

they take all the dredging material and move it to the back of the island near fischer bay
barges deliver the dredging stuff and the heavy trucks move it around

#5 User is offline   muciek man 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Boathouse, North Channel, Pearl Beach
  • Boat Type:23' 1957 Custom Cuthberson Super Speeder
  • Boat Name: The Doctors Aweigh

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postsea urchin, on 05 May 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

they take all the dredging material and move it to the back of the island near fischer bay

they are not that far back they are almost directly across from the house about 200 yards upstream from sassy's marina and have been dozing and dumping almost non stop since march. still have no idea what they are doing though.
I'm Not A Complete Idiot, Some Parts Are Missing.

#6 User is offline   sea urchin 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postmuciek man, on 05 May 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

View Postsea urchin, on 05 May 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

they are not that far back they are almost directly across from the house about 200 yards upstream from sassy's marina and have been dozing and dumping almost non stop since march. still have no idea what they are doing though.

I thought I just told you what they are doing..... :)

#7 User is offline   sea urchin 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

If you dont want to take my word>>>

http://www.lre.usace...I/151777-MI.pdf

#8 User is offline   muciek man 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

open mouth insert foot. Posted Image must have missed that on my first skim through,on that note i stand corrected. but i still dispute the dumping area the approximate area the trucks are working is the light patch at the upper right of the photo near the point of dickinson while fisher bay is at the lower left . I am sitting drinking my coffee and watching them work before I have to go to work this morning.unless I'm crazy but thats a requirement at my place of employment.Posted Image Attached File  dickinson.gif (86.53K)
Number of downloads: 30

This post has been edited by muciek man: 06 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

#9 User is offline   sea urchin 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

you are right about the location,, they are staying on this side of the island alot this year,, i can see the trucks from my house also,,, and the workers go out from colony marina every morning on their pontoon boat

#10 User is offline   tcg 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I was working at Colony today and one of the guys from the island came in. I asked him what they were up to and he confirmed that they were indeed building a landing strip for alien spacecraft.

The only reason I am able to report it here is because I closed my eyes when he used the red flashy thing to wipe my memory. I've seen the movie, can't fool me.

The story they are telling everyone else is they are building a dyke for containment of the dredging material from various projects by the Army Corp of Engineers. The dock where they off load is on the middle channel. He said they are wrapping things up this week.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   canaller 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Algonac Harbour Club, Driveway, Boathouse
  • Boat Type:Chris Craft 281, Starcraft 18', Gamefisher 14'
  • Boat Name: Leucothea, New Adventure

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

View Posttcg, on 13 May 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

I was working at Colony today and one of the guys from the island came in. I asked him what they were up to and he confirmed that they were indeed building a landing strip for alien spacecraft.

The only reason I am able to report it here is because I closed my eyes when he used the red flashy thing to wipe my memory. I've seen the movie, can't fool me.

The story they are telling everyone else is they are building a dyke for containment of the dredging material from various projects by the Army Corp of Engineers. The dock where they off load is on the middle channel. He said they are wrapping things up this week.

Is the landing strip going to be able to accommodate multiple operations, or is it one of those satellite sites that can only handle one craft at a time? I really don't understand why they build the satellite strips. When you are going to the bother, why not just build a complete facility? With the price of dilithium crystals funding should not be a problem.

#12 User is offline   TropicAL 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Speaking of Dickinson Island...I was zipping through a cut once at the Northern most tip of the island/marsh area surrounding it and almost smoked a deer. There is a small cut on the North Channel that cuts the corner of where the N. Channel and Sni meet. It is was about a foot deep and only as wide as my ski with about a 30 degree blind turn half way through. I was traveling from the N. Channel on my jetski with another friend behind me on hers. Just as I made the turn a deer jumped out in front of me a landed right in the cut blocking it completely. I nearly sh*t my pants. Just as I was about to bail into the reeds the deer took off.

The next time through that cut I ran aground. Haven't used it since...
Tropic-AL Blog

#13 User is offline   muciek man 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

I know the cut you are talking about and can remember as a kid around 1992-5 running through there on plane in the cruiser having about 4 feet of water and ten feet of width. I can also remember taking the cut from the sni into mud lake around the same time period and dad swearing like crazy because there was a refrigerator in the middle of the cut about 6 inches below the surface he almost hit. not even enough water to float a canoe there now.

#14 User is offline   TropicAL 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Postmuciek man, on 15 May 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

I know the cut you are talking about and can remember as a kid around 1992-5 running through there on plane in the cruiser having about 4 feet of water and ten feet of width. I can also remember taking the cut from the sni into mud lake around the same time period and dad swearing like crazy because there was a refrigerator in the middle of the cut about 6 inches below the surface he almost hit. not even enough water to float a canoe there now.

I was just looking at that cut recently on a satellite view and vowed to try it this year in the Whaler...

I guess I may end up walking through most of it. Good to know about the refer if I ever do make it past the big tree near the beginning of the cut.
Tropic-AL Blog

#15 User is offline   muciek man 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

now is the time to try it, i tried last august in my whaler and the weeds stopped me dead about 20 feet in and my companions decided they wanted to give up. would most definitely try it before the weeds grow up bad again. if you want a partner in crime for the trip let me know, want to try it again myself.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.