• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Perch spearing on LSC Perch spearing techniques

#1 User is offline   rknight1 

• New Recruit
  • Group: Members
  • Boat Type:1976, 20 feet, Crestliner

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Since weíre well past January 1, I thought it might behelpful to start a discussion on perch spearing methods on LSC. Although Iíve done a lot of pikespearing over the years and have always been pretty successful, pike are a lotbigger target, usually hunt alone and I always used a much bigger spear. In comparison, Iíve not done much perchspearing and itís a different game as the spear is usually smaller, they feedin schools, and are a much smaller target. The times when I did get a chance to give it a try over thepast couple of years, Iíve usually ended up missing more than I hit. But I think that part of my problem isthat when I have fish in the hole and a nice one comes in and looks at my bait,Iíll usually spend too much time trying to tempt it into taking my jig. Then, I wait too long to throw thespear because I donít want to chase the school away. So Iíve got some questions about how to improve your successrate that maybe some of the local experts can chime in on and just from my ownperspective, any help would be greatly appreciated. What depth of water is best for perch spearing? Over weeds or sandy bottom? Iíve found that while Iím much moreaccurate in shallow water <4 ft that the perch are often very spooky,whereas in deeper water itís usually easier to get a shot off, but itís muchharder to hit them. Do you need toaim a bit higher or lower to compensate for the refraction of the water? How far should you try to get the speardown into the water before they will notice it and take off? If youíve got some active fish hittingand a nice one comes in but wonít bite, how long should you try to get it tobite before giving up and taking it with the spear and will doing so usuallyrun them all off? If you do spearthe first nice one that comes in, can you usually work them back in again formore or will you have to wait for the next school? Do you use a wooden decoy like a perch or a sucker? If you do spear one should you justleave the spear lay on the bottom until the school moves on or bring it upright away so youíre ready for the next one? These are all I can think of right now, but hopefully some other memberswill also have some comments. Thanx.

#2 User is offline   Dr. Lund 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Validating

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

rknight1 said:

1388866235[/url]' post='1608761']
Since we're well past January 1, I thought it might behelpful to start a discussion on perch spearing methods on LSC. Although I've done a lot of pikespearing over the years and have always been pretty successful, pike are a lotbigger target, usually hunt alone and I always used a much bigger spear. In comparison, I've not done much perchspearing and it's a different game as the spear is usually smaller, they feedin schools, and are a much smaller target. The times when I did get a chance to give it a try over thepast couple of years, I've usually ended up missing more than I hit. But I think that part of my problem isthat when I have fish in the hole and a nice one comes in and looks at my bait,I'll usually spend too much time trying to tempt it into taking my jig. Then, I wait too long to throw thespear because I don't want to chase the school away. So I've got some questions about how to improve your successrate that maybe some of the local experts can chime in on and just from my ownperspective, any help would be greatly appreciated. What depth of water is best for perch spearing? Over weeds or sandy bottom? I've found that while I'm much moreaccurate in shallow water <4 ft that the perch are often very spooky,whereas in deeper water it's usually easier to get a shot off, but it's muchharder to hit them. Do you need toaim a bit higher or lower to compensate for the refraction of the water? How far should you try to get the speardown into the water before they will notice it and take off? If you've got some active fish hittingand a nice one comes in but won't bite, how long should you try to get it tobite before giving up and taking it with the spear and will doing so usuallyrun them all off? If you do spearthe first nice one that comes in, can you usually work them back in again formore or will you have to wait for the next school? Do you use a wooden decoy like a perch or a sucker? If you do spear one should you justleave the spear lay on the bottom until the school moves on or bring it upright away so you're ready for the next one? These are all I can think of right now, but hopefully some other memberswill also have some comments. Thanx.

Michigan out of doors did a segment on it last year. Try finding it on YouTube, I enjoyed watching it.

#3 User is offline   Dr. Lund 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Episode 1311.

#4 User is offline   6667supersport 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: MACOMB
  • Boat Type:04 MONARK 190 KING

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostDr. Lund, on 04 January 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Episode 1311.

Thanx, my son is on a mission to spear one. He will probably do more harm than good, like missing one that would have bit, or scaring the whole school of jumbos off. But as long as he is having fun :lol:.

#5 User is offline   Woody95 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Lac Ste Claire

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Did some today. All I can say is pick one out and aim for the head. You needs prongs in the water, then throw.
Get busy livin or get busy dyin

#6 User is offline   rod holder 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

That show last year was on he spur of the moment. Most of the fish were not up to usual standards as far as size but Jenny did a great job of writing as usual. I should try to talk her into rerunning the original show we did, I think in 2003. I use a wood decoy as attraction for both perch and pike. Some days the fish decoy well and other days not so much. Decoy size should be 5 inches max in length. Bigger decoys appear to the perch like something trying to eat them. Work it high, work it low, work it fast, work it slow. Find what the fish like. Sometimes the fish like orange, sometimes all white, sometimes red and white. Sometimes a live decoy in the form of about an 8 inch perch will bring other perch in better than an artificial decoy.

Now,about spearing. Spearing is only a tool in the toolbox. You should try to catch the fish with a lure if you can. It is much more productive. I took some friends of mine from work one time and they were spearing. They got about 40 fish in 4 hours of fishing. I jumped onto their hole and put another 40 fish on the ice in the next 10 minutes with a beaded spoon. Spears are for bigger fish or fish that have lockjaw. I use long handled spears in water to about 6 ft deep. You can lower the spear quite close to the fish. Experiment to see what works for you. Push, do not throw the spear. Think smoooooth. Like throwing a baseball, accuracy will come with practice. Your spear will want to go where you are looking. There is some refraction when the fish are on the edge or just outside the hole. Do not worry about it, just look at the fish. Your brain will take care of the rest. If you only have a short spear like sold in most of the bait stores just work the decoy higher in the water column.

I always bring the fish right up. Spearing will spook them out of the hole most times but they usually come right back in. Sometimes the dust cloud created when the spear and fish hit the bottom actually works to attract fish into the hole. I have been known to take a pike spear, throw it to the bottom off to the side of the hole and drag it across the bottom to attract fish. A large sinker of small canoe anchor can be used as a mudder. Just watch the fish and you will eventually be able to know what they are going to do before they do it. I have had days where the only way I could get fish into the hole was to keep the door cracked open a bit so some sunlight shined on the hole. If I closed the door they would leave.

Fish where they are. Fish as a team. Back in the day when I was a "meat" fisherman I was part of a 4 man fishing team. We would split up to find fish then group up and pound them when we found them. We shared information among ourselves about location, baits etc. If we lost the fish I would take my portable and run and gun until we found them again. Not too long after that you would see 3 or 4 of the same shanties grouped back up in another spot if you were paying attention.

The most important thing is to have fun and get some kids involved if you can. I went with my grandfather when I was a kid.

Attached File(s)

#7 User is offline   6667supersport 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: MACOMB
  • Boat Type:04 MONARK 190 KING

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

When you brought up 5" decoys made me think of last weekend. I caught a smaller perch, probably 4" and when unhooking it, it kinda froze up and started shaking. I dropped it in the hole and it started frantically swimming, a second later it was just under the ice going around in 4-5' circles. The next time it went around it had a much larger fish chasing it, I thought it was a smallmouth. Then it went right under my son and he said it was a perch. I went and got a larger minnow and dropped it down the hole about 12" under the ice (it was 5-6' deep) I bounced it around for 15-20 seconds then a 10" perch flew in to the whole and nailed the minnow :rolleyes:, not sure if that was the one chasing the other perch but was nice. Was really strange seeing the perch chasing something 4" long.

#8 User is offline   rod holder 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

View Post6667supersport, on 04 January 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

When you brought up 5" decoys made me think of last weekend. I caught a smaller perch, probably 4" and when unhooking it, it kinda froze up and started shaking. I dropped it in the hole and it started frantically swimming, a second later it was just under the ice going around in 4-5' circles. The next time it went around it had a much larger fish chasing it, I thought it was a smallmouth. Then it went right under my son and he said it was a perch. I went and got a larger minnow and dropped it down the hole about 12" under the ice (it was 5-6' deep) I bounced it around for 15-20 seconds then a 10" perch flew in to the whole and nailed the minnow :rolleyes:, not sure if that was the one chasing the other perch but was nice. Was really strange seeing the perch chasing something 4" long.

I have actually had perch come in and nip at the fins on the decoys. Another trick I forgot to mention is that though I do not normally fish with minnows, I will sometimes take them with me and chum the hole by dropping about 1/2 dozen minnows into the hole occasionally. They take some time to disperse and if there are perch in the area they will come in to eat those free swimming minnows.

#9 User is offline   Dr. Lund 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Thanks rod holder!

#10 User is offline   DR.hook 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: clawson
  • Boat Type:14.9 ft smokercraft
  • Boat Name: bite me

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Decoys are great for perch spearing

#11 User is offline   DR.hook 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: clawson
  • Boat Type:14.9 ft smokercraft
  • Boat Name: bite me

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Decoys are great for perch spearing last time was in anglers point had a few nicelooking ones

#12 User is offline   Dr. Lund 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

DR.hook said:

1388879943[/url]' post='1609017']
Decoys are great for perch spearing last time was in anglers point had a few nicelooking ones

Thanks for the lead. Posted ImageGoing out tomorrow weather permittingPosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.