Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Boat Caulking advice

875 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Shorgasm 
#1 ·
Hire it out or do myself? It seems like every time I try to caulk something I end up making a bigger mess than anything else. Does anybody have any idea on who does this and about how much it might cost (310 sundancer)? I was told if you get an air operated caulk gun it is easier to be smooth with (not having to squeeze the trigger). So I'm thinking about going that route, but thought I would get some opinions. I'm a firm believer in skilled trades and caulk is not usually one of mine. Dock chair and Michelob Ultra now that's me. I am even willing to trade if someone is good at caulk, I can sit on your dock and drink Ultra.

See less See more
#2 ·
What do you need caulked?
Though time consuming, even after all these years, i still do tape around the area that needs it for a nice,neat bead

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply shorgasm. I am going to try it myself, I can always clean up my mess if it don't work out. LOL.. I wanted it around the rub rail, hatches, arch, cabinets down below, basically everywhere it is missing or looks bad. I guess I'm just being picking and looking for projects to make the boat look better. I bought it in 2013 and it looks alot newer now than it did when I bought it.

#4 ·
Yeah, id just by stock in tape, and tape off where you are going to caulk... That's a lot so you should get the hang of it half way thru lol

When you do the rub rail, don't duo the bottom.there is a reason.
If you should get water behind the rail,you want it to drain out and not sit there finding a way into something that can rot or strain in your cabin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.