Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Partridge hunting in the upper lower

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  General Ottsc 
#1 ·
Having taken a few trips north this fall for some pat hunting with my lab, Jordan, I was beginning to wonder if he was letting me down because we have had very few opportunities in spite of pounding (well, maybe pounding is a little exaggeration) the spots we have done well on in the past years. So I contacted a friend of mine who has a couple of pro trained setters (he trains them himself) to see how he has been doing. He hunts about three days per week this time of year.

He says that he and his hunting friend have had very few opportunities on pats but the woodcock hunting has been some of the best in recent years. And of the pat opportunities, his friend has gotten a little slower on the swing and getting on target lately and has not downed a pat yet this year. And he hasn't done much better. Man, does that sound familiar. I hunt all around the Higgins Lake area and my friend hunts the NE areas of the lower.

Has anyone else been pat hunting this fall and are you able to add to this pathetic report? I'm beginning to think that the predator populations are getting dangerously large and are on the verge of wiping out the small game hunting in this state. Any comments?

#2 ·
I haven't had a chance to do any bird hunting this year, but next year my pup will be old enough and I hope to get her out. I haven't kicked up many pats in the areas I deer hunt like I used to. hopefully things will turn around soon

#3 ·
I was hunting Higgins lake/Houghton Lake area for squirrel and duck the second week of October and saw a ton of partridge by Higgins. Probably the most I'd ever seen. I must've kicked out 5 or 6 just walking one day and saw another 1 or 2 crossing the road. I saw them for a few days when it was nice out and that was it.

#4 ·
that seems to be the case all over this state! you drive for hours and even spend a weekend just to go 2 for 4 or 5. and pheasant? forget about it. unless you can hunt grosse pointe or detroit

#6 ·
Any thoughts on how the invasive species plants, like Autumn Olive, have impacted the lands that used to attract and hold partridge? From what I have read and seen, it has worked its way quite a bit north and they pretty much take over an area and displace much of the native plant life that attracted native birds and animals in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.