The Lake St.Clair Network: Canada considers loosening call-in rules - The Lake St.Clair Network

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Canada considers loosening call-in rules Bill says just passing through? Don't have to call in to report.

#1 User is offline   River Passages 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Location:Shangri-La (Think James Hilton, not the trailer park...)

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

Canadian officials are considering a bill that would loosen the reporting requirements for boaters that cross the international border between the US and Canada and who aren't anchoring or making landfall.

http://www.recorder....-bill-advancing

https://openparliame...lls/42-1/S-233/

This post has been edited by River Passages: 08 February 2017 - 06:13 AM

#2 User is offline   Stodge 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Home Port: Back yard
  • Boat Type:Rinker FV 342
  • Boat Name: Tig's Toy Four Now

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

It's already pretty loose. Any more and you'd just have to wave "Hi" to the harbor master.

Coming back to the U.S. is the hard part.
The way to a boat's heart is through her gas tank - Stodge

Pronunciation: 'stäj noun: something or someone stodgy.

Past Commodore SHC
USCGAUX Vessel Examiner

#3 User is online   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

This would be a good step and help avoid a lot of confusion in the water.

#4 User is online   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

View PostStodge, on 06 February 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

It's already pretty loose. Any more and you'd just have to wave "Hi" to the harbor master.

Coming back to the U.S. is the hard part.

This is just if you meander across the border and never anchor or make landfall. Coming back to the USA in those cases has never been an issue.

While it always has been clear (to most) that you didn't need to "officially enter" Canada if you were going from one USA port to another USA port and just passing through Canadian waters (with no stops or anchoring), their requirement that you still call in when you actually cross the border caused much confusion as to whether you really "officially entered" their country.

#5 User is offline   Professor 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Ypsilanti
  • Boat Type:2000 Larson Escape 213, 21 foot
  • Boat Name: Diamond D

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

Canada/Us is an international border. As such, all entry/re-entry rules apply whether on land, sea or in the air to both sides.

Last year there were several very good posts on the entire issue. Might be a good idea to have some reposting to assist this year's crop of boaters.

While on these waters, be sure that everyone has secure ID or a passport in their possession. If any of your guests are green card or visa holders, think carefully about being on these waters for the foreseeable future.

Current political dust-up could be problematic for some boaters and passengers.

#6 User is offline   Stodge 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Home Port: Back yard
  • Boat Type:Rinker FV 342
  • Boat Name: Tig's Toy Four Now

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

A couple resources on the subject:

http://www.marinerscoalition.com/

http://www.glcclub.c...uscanada-border
The way to a boat's heart is through her gas tank - Stodge

Pronunciation: 'stäj noun: something or someone stodgy.

Past Commodore SHC
USCGAUX Vessel Examiner

#7 User is offline   SKUZA 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: LSC
  • Boat Type:Sea Ray

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

This is an ignorant area for me as I never have traveled to Canada and stopped by boat. I have though MANY times cruised the Canadian side when heading back upstream in the Detroit River. Is that an event that requires calling in? I was under the assumption that if you left US waters, entered Canadian then back to US without stopping, making landfall, or dropping anchor you were ok?
Be yourself, not someone you wish you were.

#8 User is online   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostSKUZA, on 07 February 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

I have though MANY times cruised the Canadian side when heading back upstream in the Detroit River. Is that an event that requires calling in? I was under the assumption that if you left US waters, entered Canadian then back to US without stopping, making landfall, or dropping anchor you were ok?

This is where much of the confusion comes in and what the legislation is supposed to address.

The rule is that if you are just passing through Canadian waters, going from one USA destination to another USA destination, you do not have to report into Canadian Customs and Immigration and do not need your travel documents... HOWEVER, you ARE required to call in to inform them you have crossed over the border and are now in their waters. If 'weaving' back and forth across the line, you only have to call in the first time you enter their waters.

Most people don't call in and that's usually OK as long as you don't anchor, stop at a port or meet up with any other vessel(even another USA vessel) while in Canadian waters, but it is technically a violation since you did not call in.

If you anchor, meet up with another vessel or stop at any port, then the full rules apply with having to have your travel documents and calling into their Border office. It is usually pretty easy to do though, as they have HUNDREDS of places with dedicated phones to accommodate you. In this regard, it is MUCH WORSE coming back to the USA and checking in here if you don't have things like NEXUS cards.

#9 User is offline   Professor 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Ypsilanti
  • Boat Type:2000 Larson Escape 213, 21 foot
  • Boat Name: Diamond D

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

I'm not in complete agreement with KMC.

My interpretation is that even if you just cross the line and don't anchor you have "arrived" and need to report as though you actually set foot (or anchored) in Canada.

Weaving or crossing the line may be just folk lore or may be correct

So, an assignment for us o n LSCN who are going to the boat show: Stop at both the US and Canadian authorities booths (if they are there) and ask the question: If I just cross the border and don't anchor, do I have to call in?

Lets see if we can get an "answer" to the question -- finally.

But I'm not going to hold my breath!

#10 User is offline   kemper 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Pier Park, Grosse Pointe Farms
  • Boat Type:Carver 3207 M.Y. Aft Cabin

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostProfessor, on 07 February 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

My interpretation is that even if you just cross the line and don't anchor you have "arrived" and need to report as though you actually set foot (or anchored) in Canada. Incorrect

Weaving or crossing the line may be just folk lore or may be correct. Not folk lore just part of the CBSA rules

So, an assignment for us o n LSCN who are going to the boat show: Stop at both the US and Canadian authorities booths (if they are there) and ask the question: If I just cross the border and don't anchor, do I have to call in?

Lets see if we can get an "answer" to the question -- finally.

But I'm not going to hold my breath!

well instead of a class project why not just read the rules and keep up to date with any changes

http://www.cbsa-asfc.../pb-pp-eng.html

This post has been edited by kemper: 07 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image ">

#11 User is online   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

My interpretation is that even if you just cross the line and don't anchor you have "arrived" and need to report as though you actually set foot (or anchored) in Canada.

Absolutely Not true. Check out the links that Stodge posted, it's pretty clear in there. You can also visit the CBSA site and it's pretty clear on there too.

The**only** risk that I've been able to identify in years of researching this, is if you cross the line and, for whatever reason, a CBSA or OPP vessel stops you. You are obliged to stop. If you then "meet" with that other vessel on the Canadian side of the line, you would (or should) have been considered "arrived". I don't know if they would waive the requirements in that case, since THEY were the ones initiating contact.

#12 User is offline   kemper 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostKMC, on 07 February 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Absolutely Not true. Check out the links that Stodge posted, it's pretty clear in there. You can also visit the CBSA site and it's pretty clear on there too.

The**only** risk that I've been able to identify in years of researching this, is if you cross the line and, for whatever reason, a CBSA or OPP vessel stops you. You are obliged to stop. If you then "meet" with that other vessel on the Canadian side of the line, you would (or should) have been considered "arrived". I don't know if they would waive the requirements in that case, since THEY were the ones initiating contact.

Its quite simple besides any odd scenario as mentioned by KMC that pops up. Another is if you encounter a Canada vessel in need of help and you pull up to help them. once your boats meet up you have technically landed.

Examples are:

if you are up-bound on the Detroit river and take the shipping channel around Belle Isle entering lake st Clair most likely you will enter into Canadian waters same holds true on the shipping channel at Seaway entering the st Clair river. In this case you are not weaving you are in transient point to point with a steady course and speed. (not weaving)

If you cross over the boarder and check out the Windsor sky line then ahead up to Peache island and take a look see but do not do anything to constituent arriving then you are considered Weaving and need to call in via phone.

As far as US customs if your actions have not constituted arriving in Canada then they treat it as you never left.

My question if they update the Canadian regulations if i go out in the middle of the lake (which would be Canada strait out of GP) to get out of all the boat traffic and float and do some swimming (not dropping anchor) will i need to call in? As of now i would have to because this would be the same as weaving

#13 User is online   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Unless this new legislation is passed, If you cross the line - whether weaving or not - you are supposed to call in. If weaving, you only need to call in the first time you cross.

I have not ever called when taking the St Clair cutoff, or the Canadian side of Belle Isle** but legally you ARE supposed to.

(** you can stay in American waters on the "Canadian side" of Belle Isle but there is not a lot of room especially if there is downbound traffic that is closer to the island)

#14 User is offline   kemper 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostKMC, on 07 February 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Unless this new legislation is passed, If you cross the line - whether weaving or not - you are supposed to call in. If weaving, you only need to call in the first time you cross.

I have not ever called when taking the St Clair cutoff, or the Canadian side of Belle Isle** but legally you ARE supposed to.

(** you can stay in American waters on the "Canadian side" of Belle Isle but there is not a lot of room especially if there is downbound traffic that is closer to the island)

I guess if they are taking that requirement out then it must be the case. You imaging on a Saturday and Sunday everyone on their cell phones in those two spots calling in? They are probably glad they are not.

Back to my question i wonder with this new legislation i can float and swim in Canadian waters and not call Canada?

#15 User is online   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

View Postkemper, on 07 February 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Back to my question i wonder with this new legislation i can float and swim in Canadian waters and not call Canada?

Stopping or "loitering" would be different than passing though, and I would assume you were and will be required to at least call in.

In the link that RP posted, the language refers to those who "return to that other country without stopping while in Canadian waters"

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.