The Lake St.Clair Network: Elevation survey for flood plain insurance - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elevation survey for flood plain insurance

#1 User is offline   Keep me wet 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: Macomb Twp
  • Boat Type:Blue Fin open bow
  • Boat Name: keep me wet

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

I recall a recent post regarding a surveyor who offered a discount for site members on flood elevation certificates for our area but cannot find the post or phone number. Does anyone remember it?

I need a flood plain elevation certificate for Anchor Bay Drive. Is there any chance that anyplace in the beginning of Anchor Bay Drive would even would qualify for an exemption from the new flood plain definations?

#2 User is offline   hammer 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Home Port: MacRay Harbor
  • Boat Type:Cruisers Yachts
  • Boat Name: Hammertime IV

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

On the property I bought in Macomb, I went to the township building, gave them the name of the subdivision, and they had plats and flood plain drawings right there. Free.
SAVE OUR SOUTH CHANNEL LIGHTS... Gateway to the Moot!!

#3 User is offline   boatmonkey 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Fair Haven, Michigan
  • Boat Type:1989 Marinette 32' Sedan Bridge

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:51 AM

Here's a link to my old thread when I was successful in getting a LOMA that removed my house from the new floodplain in New Baltimore:
http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...William+Coulter

I was completely satisfied with William Coulter's work. Good luck.
It’s a great life if you don’t weaken.

#4 User is offline   KnotaNewbie 

• Calls LSCN Home

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

I was hoping boat monkey would chime in here. I remember all he went through with his property.

it goes without saying.....Glenn when u get some info...if you would please share with me, neighbor wink.gif

but..I dont think theres a chance in he!! that we'll get out of the red zone !

Lord knows we should ! look at the water level ! it would take a Tsunami to flood us !

Ask me about a beachfront condo in Florida :-)

#5 User is offline   No More Mini 

• Moderators
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ May 31 2007, 10:51 AM) View Post
I was hoping boat monkey would chime in here. I remember all he went through with his property.

it goes without saying.....Glenn when u get some info...if you would please share with me, neighbor wink.gif

but..I dont think theres a chance in he!! that we'll get out of the red zone !

Lord knows we should ! look at the water level ! it would take a Tsunami to flood us !

It will be back up in about 10 years according to long term level fluctuations....

#6 User is offline   KnotaNewbie 

• Calls LSCN Home

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

in ten more years..that'll be over 13,000.00 paid out in flood insurance !

ridiculous !

#7 User is offline   InKahoots 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

I just got hit with the flood insurance mad.gif notice 2 months ago, SCS FMEA replotted! Funny (not really) I just tore down the exhisting house and rebuilt 2 years ago now they replott UHGGGG!!! This is really expensive insurance, for an my area that never has flooded, unlike the folks on the missippi... uhm.gif

Céad Míle Fáilte

#8 User is offline   KnotaNewbie 

• Calls LSCN Home

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

flood insurance for us is about 1,000.00 per year or just over....and that does NOT include homeowners insurance ! thats extra !

head_hurts.gif

theres something really wrong with the rates..when u compare the cost for beachfront/OCEANfront condo flood insurance in florida...ON THE BEACH...is about 248.00 !!!

and up here..in michigan on LSC...its $1,000.00 ??????

how in Gods green earth does THAT make ANY sense ?????

This post has been edited by LakeNewbie: 31 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

#9 User is offline   InKahoots 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

Yes, Home owners then Flood and that only covers you if your house actually gets outsde water not sewer back up, sump...
Big Rip Off what we get in retun is nothing!!!

Céad Míle Fáilte

#10 User is offline   K G 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: St. Clair Shores
  • Boat Type:280 Sea Ray

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

Give me a shout when ever you'd like. I would be more than happy to discuss your site. Even if you go with someone else I am more than willing to give you advice, good or bad!

Email keng@urban-land.com
or
586-731-8030

Ken George

#11 User is offline   Jazzy 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Bouvier Bay
  • Boat Type:2013 Manitou VP Lounger

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

When I had my elevation survey done years back, I was told the 1st floor of the Rencen would be under water before the water ever got to my doors. The mortgage company wasn't impressed, I still had to get flood insurance. Flood insurance only covers any damage done from the "natural rising of water." Any damage done by "wind driven waves" are not covered. How often does the water just go up without wind from a storm? Ripoff!

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   K G 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: St. Clair Shores
  • Boat Type:280 Sea Ray

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(hammer @ May 30 2007, 11:06 PM) View Post
On the property I bought in Macomb, I went to the township building, gave them the name of the subdivision, and they had plats and flood plain drawings right there. Free.

Odds are in his area, the flood plain will not be shown on the plat. Newer Plats require flood plains to be illustrated, but anchor bay drive has been around for a long time!

FEMA is in the process of updating all of the Flood Insurance Rate maps otherwise known as FIRM maps. I know Macomb county has been finalized, but am not sure on St. Clair.

I can pull the maps tommorrow at the office and tell you exactly where you are. Just send me an address or general location and I can pull it up.

Question here is, how old is the home on Anchor Bay drive? Newer homes in local twp. and cities generaly require finished grade to be a min. of 580. Thus first floor typically shall be no less than 582. This is just rule of thumb to hold, but will vary per site.

One misunderstanding many people have is regarding flood insurance, and flood maps is where the site may be in relation to the flood plain line. If your home is above the flood plain you have the right to apply for a Letter of Map Amendment otherwise known as a LOMA. All this consists of is a document stating your area is out of the flood plain, per an elevation certificate thus allowing fema to remove this area from the FIRM maps. This Document can then be presented to your insurance company for further action regarding your premium!

I wont ramble on any further, none the less if anyone has any questions, I will be more than happy to help out some fella boater friends any way I can!

Ken

#13 User is offline   Keep me wet 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Macomb Twp
  • Boat Type:Blue Fin open bow
  • Boat Name: keep me wet

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:22 AM

Thanks much....I wonder how much a room on the 2nd floor of the Ren Center would be? This is just SO rediculous.....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.