• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elevation Certificate Who does em?

#1 User is offline   Garry 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

Hey all. I don't post a lot but I am usually reading a lot. I like this place.

I live over near S River and Jefferson and like most of that area, it's a flood zone. Thankfully I have a little house and the flood insurance isn't terrible, but it woud be nice if it was even less.

My neighbor had an elevation certificate done years ago (he doesn't remember who did it), and his insurance dropped drastically from it. We have similar houses and I am thinking about having one done later this year.

I just don't know where to start. Are they worth having done? How much (about)? Anybody here do them? uhm.gif

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Garry

#2 User is offline   TheWiz 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: N/A
  • Boat Type:N/A
  • Boat Name: N/A

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

Any Certified Land Surveyer should be able to do it. I've had them done on my last 2 homes, but the guy that did mine has retired. I think they were about $300 each.

Both of my houses were proved to be above the 100 year flood plain and I was able to get my Flood insurance reduced by about half. I could actually go further & apply for a LOMA package (Letter of Map Amendment) and eliminate the need for flood insurace, I just never did that. I think that papperwork costs about $700. I would ask the surveyer you choose.

Just call around for quotes on Elevation Certificates...
"You drive a Mitsubishi!!! That's the company that built the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor..."

"What the American Public doesn't know is what makes them the American Public."

#3 User is offline   fish n chick 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: warren, michigan
  • Boat Type:1996 wellcraft 2150
  • Boat Name: sold my soul ii

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

P.M.sunsation98. he's in land surveying.

#4 User is offline   dnasty 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Talking to the lenders, they are the ones that dictate if you have flood insurance and how much coverage you have on your home. If you do have another survey done, the lender is going to have the final say in whether you can lower the insurance or not. However, if you don't have a mortgage, you are not required to have flood insurance. I think you might be a little too young not to have a mortgage Gary, but I could definitely be wrong tongue.gif . Good luck!!

#5 User is offline   K G 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: St. Clair Shores
  • Boat Type:280 Sea Ray

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

Please feel free to give me a call when ever you'd like! We can get ya taken care of! smile.gif Elevation Cert and LOMA paper work will be very reasonable!

586-822-7002
Ken George!

P.S. Fish-n-chicks, thanks for looking out for me! LOL

This post has been edited by sunsation98: 20 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

#6 User is offline   boatnfish 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: My driveway
  • Boat Type:'03 21' Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Mar 20 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please feel free to give me a call when ever you'd like! We can get ya taken care of! smile.gif Elevation Cert and LOMA paper work will be very reasonable!

586-822-7002
Ken George!

P.S. Fish-n-chicks, thanks for looking out for me! LOL

Good to know. We have been looking at a couple of places on the lake. At least one of the places, the neighboring house has received a LOMA taking it out of the flood plane.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." -U.S. Air Force Manual

#7 User is offline   Garry 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(dnasty @ Mar 20 2008, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Talking to the lenders, they are the ones that dictate if you have flood insurance and how much coverage you have on your home. If you do have another survey done, the lender is going to have the final say in whether you can lower the insurance or not. However, if you don't have a mortgage, you are not required to have flood insurance. I think you might be a little too young not to have a mortgage Gary, but I could definitely be wrong tongue.gif . Good luck!!

Yeah, unfortuantely, I had no silver spoon! I gotta get up every morning go to work. dry.gif
I can't get away from the mortgage for a loooong time! But thanks for pointing out the info on the mtg holder.

I have spoken with my mtg co, and they will honor the EC if done.

I will still carry a flood policy regardless, just won't have the huge premium from what I understand.

Thanks for all the input.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.