• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Perch spearing?

#1 User is offline   bigdaddy308 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:19 AM

Is the spearing of perch legal? I talked to a guy who said that he does it all the time. I asked him if it was legal and he replyed that he didn't know and didn't care. I know you can spear pike in the winter but I didn't think you could legally spear any other species. I don't plan on doing this as it seams like cheating, but was just interested in the law of this???

#2 User is offline   h2o 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Warren
  • Boat Type:stealth
  • Boat Name: h2o

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

Season opens in Jan. Check your rule book.

h2o
Be happy to be part of all you see
Veterans gave their Today for your Tomorrow

www.usabrotherhood.net

(my gaming website) aka Sir Vortex USA

Trautman: The war, the whole conflict may have been wrong but damn it don't hate your country for it.
Rambo: Hate? I'd die for it.
Trautman: Then what is it you want?
Rambo: I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!
Trautman: How will you live, John?
Rambo: Day by day.

#3 User is offline   walleye mike 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: driveway
  • Boat Type:18' tracker, 22 ft. Crestliner W/A
  • Boat Name: I/O HER, I/O HER II

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(h2o @ Dec 19 2008, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Season opens in Jan. Check your rule book.

h2o

Let me add, Jan. and feb. and LSC only it is legal.

Capt. "Walleye" Mike

#4 User is offline   chris24p 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:09 AM

i picked up one of thoses smiling perch decoys from jimmy's. now i need a spear! once i find a location that is holding large schools of perch, i'll be flinging that thing down and into hopefully some fish. my question is, don't you have the potenial to damage the good meat on the fish by spearing holes into the fish?
WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE, ONE OF THE HARVESTERS OF THE SEA... I THINK BEFORE MY DAYS ARE DONE... I WANT TO BE A FISHERMON!!!!!!

#5 User is offline   PelicanKayaker 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Boat Type:Pelican Castaway fishing kayak

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(bigdaddy308 @ Dec 19 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I talked to a guy who said that he does it all the time. I asked him if it was legal and he replyed that he didn't know and didn't care.

Thats the kind of attitude that give fisherman a bad name. It pi$$e$ me off when someone disrespects and doesnt care about the rules and regulations that are placed on fishing. They are there to ensure that the populations stay healthy. Without them, our fisheries would go down the drain. We as fisherman have a responsibility to learn and practice the regulations set forth by the DNR and such. This is in no way toward you bigdaddy. I just cant believe whoever you talked to would so openly disregard the laws that help keep our fisheries great.

#6 User is offline   chris24p 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Dec 19 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I talked to a guy who said that he does it all the time. I asked him if it was legal and he replyed that he didn't know and didn't care.

Thats the kind of attitude that give fisherman a bad name. It pi$$e$ me off when someone disrespects and doesnt care about the rules and regulations that are placed on fishing. They are there to ensure that the populations stay healthy. Without them, our fisheries would go down the drain. We as fisherman have a responsibility to learn and practice the regulations set forth by the DNR and such. This is in no way toward you bigdaddy. I just cant believe whoever you talked to would so openly disregard the laws that help keep our fisheries great.
yeh... what he said!
WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE, ONE OF THE HARVESTERS OF THE SEA... I THINK BEFORE MY DAYS ARE DONE... I WANT TO BE A FISHERMON!!!!!!

#7 User is offline   miles 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: warren

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(chris24p @ Dec 19 2008, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Dec 19 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeh... what he said!

i think i would be asking someone else for advice from now on, evidently this friend of yours is not very bright

#8 User is offline   TimEye 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

wow, this topic got off track, hoping to see some input on how someone does spear a perch and what type of spear to use so you do not damage much meat.

WARNING!
FAILURE TO GIVE MY DOMESTIC VEHICLE THE RIGHT OF WAY WILL RESULT IN YOUR FOREIGN CAR BEING TOTALED!

How do you say MARVIN in Japanese?

#9 User is offline   supersport 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Boat Type:One That Float's!! lol

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(TimEye @ Dec 20 2008, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow, this topic got off track, hoping to see some input on how someone does spear a perch and what type of spear to use so you do not damage much meat.

rofl2.gif

Tim I can alway's count on you for a few laughs!! Where do you find those? rofl2.gif

Anyway back to the topic.......when the season is open, perch spearing is alot of fun and doesn't ruin very much of the fillet. I finally broke down last year and purchased a perch spear. I know it seem's like cheating but it isn't. It's no worse than spearing a pike, ski, whitefish (are they legal?, dunno, anyway,) or anything else thats legal to spear. When those jumbo's come into the hole and look at the bait then swim away it's nice to have a back up and go home with a nice meal. And for all of you naysayers...... it's not nearly as easy as it sounds to spear a perch!! Just ask my daughter!! We had a blast last year trying to get some with the spear. There were several times (after we got the technique down) that we went home with a nice meal tho thanks to the spear!

Give it a shot! Best of luck.
Shoot Straight ~N~ Tight Lines

#10 User is offline   skullboner 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: macomb twp
  • Boat Type:16ft Mirro Craft
  • Boat Name: no name

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

several of the local bait shops will have small perch spears, try to stay away from any with barbs, perch are small enuff they wont slide off the tines once you spear them, barbs will just tear up and waste that delicious meat. it also helps to slowly get the spear in the water before you drop it on the fish so there is no splash to spook the fish, not much need to actually THROW the spear. its weight is plenty to penetrate a perch

This post has been edited by skullboner: 20 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

#11 User is offline   bigdaddy308 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I might give it a try this year. As for the friend ( actually a co-worker) who told me that he did not care about the spearing season laws, I agree with you guys. It does anger me to hear peoples disrigards for the law. It is fisherman ( NOT SPORTSMAN) like this that can ruin it for the rest of us ( SPORTSMEN).

#12 User is offline   GIGGLESTICK 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Driveway
  • Boat Type:4Winns marquise v-hull
  • Boat Name: Sue-Z-Q

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Thought you guys might find this interesting and didn't want to start a new thread so I brought this one back, heres a really nice video clip with a surprise towards the end, enjoy.

I don't know what kind of camera this is ,but thats a pretty good vid sunglass2.gif

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_video.php...amp;category=md

This post has been edited by gldnrcher: 25 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

"May you live in interesting times"
Or at least fish interesting places
Don't waste your vote, vote third party.
prisonplanet.com

#13 User is offline   sweedishpimp 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: gibralter
  • Boat Type:24 ft T Craft
  • Boat Name: Kool Aide

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Jan 19 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought you guys might find this interesting and didn't want to start a new thread so I brought this one back, heres a really nice video clip with a surprise towards the end, enjoy.

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_video.php...amp;category=md

By the way don't be offended by the lil yankee fan, I just thought it was hilarious

That was very cool! Thank you

#14 User is offline   skullboner 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: macomb twp
  • Boat Type:16ft Mirro Craft
  • Boat Name: no name

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

yea it was a cool video. in fact i think im gonna go spearing tomorrow biggrin.gif

#15 User is offline   miles 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: warren

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

That was just too cool, think i will take up spearing biggrin.gif

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.