The Lake St.Clair Network: Bennett Trim Tabs - Troubleshooting - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bennett Trim Tabs - Troubleshooting Looking for an experienced guess.

#1 User is online   Away Point 

• LSCN Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

I'm 80% sure one of my trim tabs leaks down (retracts) while underway. Pretty sure each side has it's own pump (as I recall from the survey).

The question; In your experience, what is more likely - the ram or the pump is at fault?

Making some hydraulic jumpers to connect each tab to the other pump should provide an answer, but just thought I'd ask if anyone knew of a common failure.

By Murphy's Law, it's the RAM, as that means a trip to a hoist. dry.gif

There are 2 seasons; Boating season, and Waiting for boating season.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Garry 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hey AP, I don't have hyd tabs on my boat, but I have an extensive hydraulic background.

You could have a solenoid going bad, and causing it to not completely close off the directional control valve, allowing the fluid to leak back to the reservoir. Or it could be a bad cylinder, bad rings on the piston. They are pretty easy to rebuild, but with boats, I don't know, is it just cheaper to replace the unit?

I'm probably not helping you much, sorry.

Good luck though.

I like the hyd jumper idea - if it works with the jumpers, then it's the pump, if not then its the ram - good idea!!

#3 User is offline   Joyce 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Check out their website
www.bennetttrimtabs.com
Great site, good troubleshooting tips.
Bennett has great customer service - give them a call , they are very helpful.
Good luck!
Joyce

#4 User is offline   PurpleHeart91 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Salt River
  • Boat Type:1989 Sea Ray 220OV 5.7 Merc Alpha 1
  • Boat Name: der TeufelsHunde

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Leaks in the fitting (on the bulkhead) were our #1 error or issue with these tabs. But if the volume of the fluid stayed the same and we inspected (visual) for leakage, then we'd swap out the pump, our second leading issue with them. We had a spare pump and it comes off easy with four screws I believe, then fiber fittings on black 1/4 tubing.

Overfilling was an issue we'd get called into by customers all the time. Seems they would re-fill the reservoir when the tabs were in the down position and when retracted it blew back into the tank and popped the pump seals inside. So always remember refill when the tab it is in the furthest "UP" position (or outdrives- down for trim pumps if people have them)

This post has been edited by PurpleHeart91: 26 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" R. J. Wiedemann Lt. Col. USMC Ret.

#5 User is online   Away Point 

• LSCN Legend
  • View gallery

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:41 AM

Thanks guys (and gal)! smile.gif

Garry, if you're into hydraulics, I'm embarrassed for referring to these tabs as "hydraulic." No self-respecting -real- system is plumbed in 1/4" poly tubing with compression fittings! tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

PurpleHeart91, thanks! I took a peek yesterday (without actually climbing in), and from a less then ideal vantage point, it appears there is a single pump (looked like any Bennett pump I've ever seen), and couldn't see any signs of leaks (fluid level good).

I'll swap the lines and see what happens. Man, I sure hope it's the pump!!!

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Garry 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

AP- Hey, if it works, I'm not knocking it........ not everything needs a dozen accumulators, two pumps, 5000psi of nitrogen, with an operating pressure of 2500psi to be considered hydraulic...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hope you get it sorted though... gotta suck cruising along and realizing you have a 20 deg list!! uhm.gif biggrin.gif

#7 User is online   Away Point 

• LSCN Legend
  • View gallery

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE(garry454 @ Apr 27 2009, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AP- Hey, if it works, I'm not knocking it........ not everything needs a dozen accumulators, two pumps, 5000psi of nitrogen, with an operating pressure of 2500psi to be considered hydraulic...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hope you get it sorted though... gotta suck cruising along and realizing you have a 20 deg list!! uhm.gif biggrin.gif

I'm used to it. It's been said I'm a little off kilter to begin with! tongue.gif laugh.gif

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.