• You cannot reply to this topic

Afghanistan "War of necessity"

#16 User is offline   Sabretooth 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Hookedagain @ Aug 1 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone heard any TV MSM reports regarding Afghanistan? Is the war going well?

Has interest in this war changed? Anyone know?

Since Walter Cronkite has passed away, we don't have him on the TV telling us the war is lost.

So there is still hope and having the faith in our military that I do, I suspect we are winning even tho nobody out there is telling us that fact.........
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Big Dog 

• LSCN Sponsor since 0410
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: LSCN Sponsor
  • Boat Type:1994 Starcraft

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

I caught a bit of this report earlier:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538260,00.html

maybe it's just the fact that I haven't seen a MSM report recently, or maybe they haven chosen not to cover the story?

Just look at the Google results:
http://tiny.cc/QCSFo

Doesn't seem like there is much from the MSM.

This post has been edited by Big Dog: 07 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

Big Dog

Just My Style Embroidery
justmystyleembroidery@gmail.com

My link

#18 User is offline   boredwithTNT 

• New Recruit
  • Home Port: Blue Lagoon
  • Boat Type:Sea Ray, 27ft
  • Boat Name: Mareesh

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hello My name is Benjamin Witt. I recently left service from the US Army where I was CPL Witt.

I served 16 months on the ground in Afghanistan and know first hand about this war that is being fought over there. I dont know much I can or cant say, but will say a few things anyways.

The lease on the Bagram airbase was renewed back in 2007 for 99 years from the Afghani Government. Now I dont know how much of an exit strategy is being proposed but we have numerous overseas bases and deployment zones based on war zone areas. I see this ending up no different.

2nd The main issue of combatants and the taliban is the supporters from Pakistan and Iran. I was stationed on the pakistani border (mysterious location here) and most of the insurgents were poorly armed, dissilusioned people who would come across the border. Iran supplies most of the arms and explosives on the western side of things.

The war goes well but by what terms. When we lose 4, 2 or even 1 solider that is a loss to our nation, But we have high priority on life and its importance. The enemy does not. So unexceptable losses for them obviously have not been met. We had a mission in which we were on top of a mountain for many days and had enemies charging up the side trying to overrun our position.

Its a war. Its horrible nasty dirty and evil, as all war is. But If we turn our backs on this infestation of evil and despotism it will continue to infest a region of the world that has very little in which to stand against such a thing.

TNT

This post has been edited by boredwithTNT: 10 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

#19 User is offline   Chefnutz 

• LSCN Sponsor since March 08
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

Thank you for your service, you can never be thanked enough. Great post. Thank you for that as well.

Chris V.

#20 User is offline   Away Point 

• LSCN Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Aug 10 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your service, you can never be thanked enough. Great post. Thank you for that as well.

Chris V.

Ditto that!

As horrible as war is, it is not the worst of horrors. And the worst of horrors is precisely what our brave men and women are fighting to prevent.

Thank God this country still produces selfless individuals like you TNT!

There are 2 seasons; Boating season, and Waiting for boating season.
Posted Image

#21 User is offline   Sensei 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(boredwithTNT @ Aug 10 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello My name is Benjamin Witt. I recently left service from the US Army where I was CPL Witt.

I served 16 months on the ground in Afghanistan and know first hand about this war that is being fought over there. I dont know much I can or cant say, but will say a few things anyways.

The lease on the Bagram airbase was renewed back in 2007 for 99 years from the Afghani Government. Now I dont know how much of an exit strategy is being proposed but we have numerous overseas bases and deployment zones based on war zone areas. I see this ending up no different.

2nd The main issue of combatants and the taliban is the supporters from Pakistan and Iran. I was stationed on the pakistani border (mysterious location here) and most of the insurgents were poorly armed, dissilusioned people who would come across the border. Iran supplies most of the arms and explosives on the western side of things.

The war goes well but by what terms. When we lose 4, 2 or even 1 solider that is a loss to our nation, But we have high priority on life and its importance. The enemy does not. So unexceptable losses for them obviously have not been met. We had a mission in which we were on top of a mountain for many days and had enemies charging up the side trying to overrun our position.

Its a war. Its horrible nasty dirty and evil, as all war is. But If we turn our backs on this infestation of evil and despotism it will continue to infest a region of the world that has very little in which to stand against such a thing.

TNT

Welcome home and thank you so much for your service.
Dead 50" fish don't follow, dead 50" fish don't hit, dead 50" fish don't fight and escape, dead 50" fish don't give you the thrill of a lifetime and dead 50" fish don't reproduce. They just hang there: dead worthless curiosity's-Jack Burns

#22 User is offline   Jazzy 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Bouvier Bay
  • Boat Type:2013 Manitou VP Lounger

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

Cpl Witt, thank you for your service to our country. I am glad you made it home safe.
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Three Rules 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Soooo... does President Obama have an Exit Strategy for Afghanistan??

I know Democrats were very interested before... why the lack of concern now?

Who are we fighting there??? Anyone know?

Man is not free unless government is limited.

#24 User is offline   boredwithTNT 

• New Recruit
  • Home Port: Blue Lagoon
  • Boat Type:Sea Ray, 27ft
  • Boat Name: Mareesh

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

I dont know of the current exit strategy or if there even will ever be one. Think South Korea and how we still have an active presence there.

As far as WHO we are fighting thats pretty easy. Most of the insurgents are trained in the back areas of pakistan, far out of reach from the governments control. They send in the fighters, badly trained and lightly armed. The others mostly suiciders come in from the Iranian border. They also bring in weapons, and explosives. Unfortunately they have a habit of hiding in civilian buldings and towns. They use people as human shields. And yet...were still the "bad" guys.

Cheers all, As I said i dont know how much I can publicly say. If any of you all wanna get a beer sometime we can chat n shoot the sh*t.
Good Weather For All,
TNT

#25 User is offline   Three Rules 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

I thought we were in Afghanistan to get Al Qaeda. From all I have read Al Qaeda is no longer in Afghanistan.

The new president has sent more troops, has no exit strategy, we had a very high death count in July and Obama seems to NO have a sound objective, no plan. The MSM seems uninterested. Why because it would reflect bad in the new President? Or hypocrisy?

If this is nation building why are Democrats suddenly fine with this objective? They were against it in Iraq. Sounds like Democrat hypocrisy.

If there is no exit strategy why don’t the Democrat leadership voice objections that we are in a Quagmire? They did regarding Iraq. Sounds like Democrat hypocrisy.

There seems to be a high level of hypocrisy going on as far as the liberals go. They were against any war but now that its Obamas war everyone is silent. Sounds like Democrat hypocrisy.

Lets hear it Dems….are you for or against this war in Afghanistan? You made you feelings know when President Bush was in the WH.

It would seem "Code Pink" has also been silent. No more anti war protests.

It is pure hypocrisy.

#26 User is offline   Sensei 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Hookedagain @ Aug 15 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought we were in Afghanistan to get Al Qaeda. From all I have read Al Qaeda is no longer in Afghanistan.

The new president has sent more troops, has no exit strategy, we had a very high death count in July and Obama seems to NO have a sound objective, no plan. The MSM seems uninterested. Why because it would reflect bad in the new President? Or hypocrisy?

If this is nation building why are Democrats suddenly fine with this objective? They were against it in Iraq. Sounds like Democrat hypocrisy.

If there is no exit strategy why don't the Democrat leadership voice objections that we are in a Quagmire? They did regarding Iraq. Sounds like Democrat hypocrisy.

There seems to be a high level of hypocrisy going on as far as the liberals go. They were against any war but now that its Obamas war everyone is silent. Sounds like Democrat hypocrisy.

Lets hear it Dems….are you for or against this war in Afghanistan? You made you feelings know when President Bush was in the WH.

It would seem "Code Pink" has also been silent. No more anti war protests.

It is pure hypocrisy.

We are also there to wipe out the Taliban as they are a key component. If you did not read the 9/11 report it was actually well written, Bi-partisian and very informative.
http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/911/report/index.htm
Dead 50" fish don't follow, dead 50" fish don't hit, dead 50" fish don't fight and escape, dead 50" fish don't give you the thrill of a lifetime and dead 50" fish don't reproduce. They just hang there: dead worthless curiosity's-Jack Burns

#27 User is offline   Three Rules 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

Libs are avoiding this topic...at all levels ...their hypocricy is showing and growing.

#28 User is offline   Three Rules 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

Obama's Quagmire

#29 User is offline   sleeper 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: St. Clair Shores
  • Boat Type:Yamaha GPR, Kawasaki 650SX

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

It is kind of odd that the liberals are silent, but I think we can just sit back and enjoy that. I think this is a war that needs to be finished, although I have no idea how to go about doing that, what with Pakistan being an ally and not having control over it's own territory. We have to be careful there. The reason Bush didn't do a surge there is because he didn't think it would work, let's hope he was wrong and that Obama can get this done right.

#30 User is offline   Mac 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: My Garage
  • Boat Type:Champion 187

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Hookedagain @ Aug 19 2009, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obama's Quagmire

536 KIA over 8 years,....that's @ 1 per week...(More people are murdered in Detroit in a single DAY than we lose in a week in the Middle East)....and I agree it's 1 to many....BUT..I have reason to believe that the bad guys are dying at substantially higher rates than that by the HOUR!! I also agree that the liberal media is being incredibly hypocritical now that Obama is in office, by NOT calling for more and quicker troop withdrawals!! If we had a GOP Pres, they'd be on his arss daily to do just that!! But there's a possitive side to that now too.....we don't have to listen to their pathetic BS everyday either....let the Military fight the war and keep the media preoccupied with stuff like healthcare and Hillary's tantrums! blahblah1.gif rofl2.gif

To quote a t-shirt I saw last weekend with an image of a F-16 LOADED with ordnance coming straight at the viewer, with a smoking WTC in the background: "The Terrorists have WON the toss and elected to RECEIVE!!" rofl2.gif

This post has been edited by Mac: 19 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

"Life's tough,...it's even tougher if you're stupid!"
John Wayne

Share this topic:

• 51 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.