The Lake St.Clair Network: Elevation Certificate for Reduced Flood Insurance Rates - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elevation Certificate for Reduced Flood Insurance Rates Location: Huron Pointe Dr., Harrison Twp.

#1 User is offline   bigtreble 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

I own a home on Huron Pointe Dr. in Harrison Twp. (in the flood zone) and recently discovered that some of my neighbors with comparable homes (late 70's builds) are paying 1/4 the rate for flood insurance compared to my annual rate. The only difference is they purchased in 1980's, and I purchased in 2004.

I am now seeking a Elevation Certificate to hopefully get my flood insurance rates adjusted.

Have any of you had any recent success getting a discounted rate?

Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   Fabricate-r 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: Harrison Twp.
  • Boat Type:'85 Wellcraft 2900 Express
  • Boat Name: Lotsa' Doe!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(bigtreble @ Jan 5 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have any of you had any recent success getting a discounted rate?

I've done that twice, once when we lived on East Archer, and once on Mast. Both times, it lowered our rate significantly. The township used to do the elevation survey for free, but discontinued that.

#3 User is offline   tcg 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

When I needed an elevation certificate back in 2006 I used a local (Fair Haven) guy Matt Mueller 586-615-3819. Very reasonable $225 for the elevation.

My insurance went from $950 to $400. The kicker is when we built our house I raised the foundation 2 blocks if I had gone one or two more I probably could have eliminated the need for flood insurance.

It has to do with how high above or below the joist of the first floor is above the reference on the flood map. If you have a basement or crawl space I don't know how that works.

Matt
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Chriznat 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: My Seawall
  • Boat Type:Four Winns Vista 278
  • Boat Name: Lucky Fox III

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

I dont have anything important to add to this thread except.. Hi Neighbor!!
Im ashamed of what PF made me do for a Klondike Bar...

#5 User is offline   The Canvas Cover Man 

• LSCN Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Chesterfield
  • Boat Type:22 sea ray
  • Boat Name: THE CANVAS COVER MAN .COM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

If you need a guy try Mende his numeber is 586-822-4964. i used him on a few project about 6 years ago. great guy.
Andre and Naum's Canvas Shop
Discounts to LSCN Members. We will beat all competitors pricing on our canvas, upholstery and vinyl graphics products!
Come see us at the Sun-up Marina, or call us at 586-716-1744

#6 User is offline   The Perfect Fit 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: LSCN Sponsor
  • Boat Name: The Perfect Fit

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(Chriznat @ Jan 5 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont have anything important to add to this thread except.. Hi Neighbor!!

You're such a sugar Daddy hunter..... tongue.gif

My purpose in life is to improve the world by enhancing the life and surroundings of animals and mankind.

#7 User is offline   Jazzy 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Bouvier Bay
  • Boat Type:2013 Manitou VP Lounger

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

I had Robert Smith from Lehner Associates on 19 Mile in Clinton Twp do mine 10 years ago. Rick Drouillard does them now. Their number is 586-412-7050.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   hisland 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(tcg @ Jan 5 2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I needed an elevation certificate back in 2006 I used a local (Fair Haven) guy Matt Mueller 586-615-3819. Very reasonable $225 for the elevation.

My insurance went from $950 to $400. The kicker is when we built our house I raised the foundation 2 blocks if I had gone one or two more I probably could have eliminated the need for flood insurance.

It has to do with how high above or below the joist of the first floor is above the reference on the flood map. If you have a basement or crawl space I don't know how that works.

Matt

Thanks!
I just called him and he is doing our house in about an hour!
He said in his experience, most houses end up lowering their flood insurance by 2/3. That jives with what I've seen with a buddy and heard from others.

#9 User is offline   K G 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: St. Clair Shores
  • Boat Type:280 Sea Ray

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

You can have an elevation certificate performed. If all of your grades around your home are above flood plain you may qualify for a letter of map amendment, otherwise known as a LOMA. Most places I see are charging 250-350 for an elevation certificate and typically 100 extra to perform the fema paper work if needed.

Elevations of all grades around the home will be shot along with elevations of first floor and basement/crawl floors.

We have quite a few clients that have performed the LOMA's and no longer pay any flood insurance.

#10 User is offline   pquest29 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Harrison Township
  • Boat Type:None right now

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(Jazzy @ Jan 6 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had Robert Smith from Lehner Associates on 19 Mile in Clinton Twp do mine 10 years ago. Rick Drouillard does them now. Their number is 586-412-7050.

This is who did mine when I lived on Willmarth in Harrison Township; they came out, surveyed, filed the paperwork and POOF! in 3 months I was all done pissing away money on flood insurance.

Luckily the house I bought and live in now was already surveyed and deemed not in the flood plain.

Flood insurance is a friggin' scam.

#11 User is offline   Homey 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

Try

Aztec Land Surveyors, Inc.
St. Clair Shores
Shane Azbell - 586.306.1253

Very knowledgeable and can also complete any needed FEMA paperwork in addition to doing the required elevation certificate.

Best case is that you would apply and receive a LOMA. Once the elevation cert. is done you'll know whether or not a LOMA will be granted. If your LAG (lowest adjacent grade) is above the flood plain FEMA will process / grant the LOMA and you will not be required to pay for flood insurance.

This is obviously a big savings right now and a big bonus when you try to sell.

I've been through FEMA's LOMA process twice and it is straight forward once you can verify your LAG via an elevation cert.

The insurance companies are a joke - not 1 company understands and quotes flood insurance rates correctly based the Fedral gov't rules. Just get a few quotes and you'll see huge differences and hear very different interpretations of flood insurance reqt's. The sad point is that our gov't is in charge of the entire flood insurance business.

Bottom line - pay to get an elevation certification done. This will clearly indicate whether or not you qualify for a LOMA. Otherwise you can use the cert to petition for a rate reduction. Shop around - you'll be amazed at the range of the quotes. Be sure to only ask for coverage for the replacement value of your home (maximum) Do not include the value of the land parcel since this would remain in the unlikely event of a flood. You can also try to insure only the amount of the balance of your mortgage since this is all the mortgage companies need to be concerned with in the unlikely event of a flood.

Good Luck and get ready to be amazed at how little the insurance companies know about flood insurance and the real reqt's by mortgage lenders and the Federal Gov't !!!!!!!!!! It is a scam and people are getting rich from your premiums !!!!

#12 User is offline   bigtreble 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for your input!

I paid $350 last week to have an elevation surveyor measure my grade.

I did not qualify for the LOMA. dry.gif

However I can now use the Elevation Cert to shop around for cheaper flood insurance rates. smile.gif

Anyone know of a reliable insurance company that offers decent flood coverage rates in Harrison Twp.?

Thanks again!

This post has been edited by bigtreble: 20 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

#13 User is offline   K G 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: St. Clair Shores
  • Boat Type:280 Sea Ray

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

It was nice to meet you.

This post has been edited by K G: 20 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

#14 User is offline   desperado8156 

• New Recruit

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

I with all of you who replied,,, Tired of throwing money at FEMA so they can put it in their bank account. I live in St. Clair Shores, on a crawl space 20" to bottom of joist, elevated land 8' above waterline ( live on a canal) and am tired of writing a check to fema every year for a grand. Any one have any input on how high I have to be, to get out of paying this stupid bill every year. I hear it flooded the street about 60 years ago, but never touched the homes. desperado8156@yahoo.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.