The Lake St.Clair Network: How long should kids play video games each day? - The Lake St.Clair Network

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How long should kids play video games each day?

#1 User is offline   waterfordmatt 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Well I was wondering if anybody else restricts the amout of time kids can play the video games? We have a time limit during the week of 1.5 hours a day because of school. Is this too strict? I sure get a tude when I tell him time is up. 12 years old and the teen tude is starting already.

#2 User is offline   The Canvas Cover Man 

• LSCN Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Chesterfield
  • Boat Type:22 sea ray
  • Boat Name: THE CANVAS COVER MAN .COM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

1.5 hours is plenty. I call it tube time, tv, puter, game sys,. Or else I say if you read a book for 2 hours you can have 2 hours of tube time. On the weekends. The hard thing is the wife doesn't help with this.
Andre and Naum's Canvas Shop
Discounts to LSCN Members. We will beat all competitors pricing on our canvas, upholstery and vinyl graphics products!
Come see us at the Sun-up Marina, or call us at 586-716-1744

#3 User is offline   waterfordmatt 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(The Canvas Cover Man @ Jan 28 2010, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1.5 hours is plenty. I call it tube time, tv, puter, game sys,. Or else I say if you read a book for 2 hours you can have 2 hours of tube time. On the weekends. The hard thing is the wife doesn't help with this.

I really like the reading for more time Idea

#4 User is offline   Numbskull 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Clinton River
  • Boat Name: Numbskull

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

Don't let my girlfriend find out about this. She'll cut my computer time.

Attached File  why.gif (18.84K)
Number of downloads: 0
No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Big Dog 

• LSCN Sponsor since 0410
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: LSCN Sponsor
  • Boat Type:1994 Starcraft

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

How long do you want them quiet? tongue.gif
Big Dog

Just My Style Embroidery
justmystyleembroidery@gmail.com

My link

#6 User is offline   rubbnsmoke 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jan 28 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I was wondering if anybody else restricts the amout of time kids can play the video games? We have a time limit during the week of 1.5 hours a day because of school. Is this too strict? I sure get a tude when I tell him time is up. 12 years old and the teen tude is starting already.

My boys don't even get to play during the week while school's in, they only get to play on the weekends. During the summer when school's out they can play during the week, but only after they've finished their chores, not that they have that many to begin with.
It's so nice to be insane...nobody ever asks you to explain....

"I think I look forward to the opening day of deer season more than any other day of the year...it's like Christmas....with guns"

Once upon a time a guy asked a girl "Will you Marry Me?"... she said "No" and he lived happily ever after and went hunting and fishing ALOT and drank beer and farted whenever he wanted. The End

Why don't we ever see this headline..."Psychic Wins Lottery"

Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter and Lousy Fisherman

Whoever said "Money can't buy Happiness" never owned a really great fishing rod.

#7 User is offline   Como 

• New Recruit

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:49 AM

1.5 hours sound ok for games. But it is also important to count all media time - games, tv, computer activities (including homeworks if the computer is used for them).

Here are some recommended time limits: Computer time limits

#8 User is offline   waterfordmatt 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

Yea you would think he has it tough to listen to him. what happened to the days when kids wanted to go outside and play first thing in the morning and then not come home until the street lights came on? when I was a kid you couldnt keep us in the house for anything. now you cant get them outta the house for anything. My parents would beg me to eat breakfast before I left and had a heck of a time getting me home for dinner.

#9 User is offline   Soo Sassy 

• LSCN Legend
  • Group: Moderators
  • Boat Type:2004 280 Sea Ray

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jan 29 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea you would think he has it tough to listen to him. what happened to the days when kids wanted to go outside and play first thing in the morning and then not come home until the street lights came on? when I was a kid you couldnt keep us in the house for anything. now you cant get them outta the house for anything. My parents would beg me to eat breakfast before I left and had a heck of a time getting me home for dinner.

Ahhh...the good old days smile.gif It's sick seeing all the overweight kids now-a-days. I went through my grade school year books a while back and what a difference compared to today. Everyone was thin because we all played outside like you said.

#10 User is offline   fitsus 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Beacon Cove
  • Boat Type:34 Sea Ray
  • Boat Name: NO Name

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jan 29 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boy that's how it was when I was a kid. Maybe because we didn't have but one or two medias. I miss them days. 1.5 sounds good. I wish my 17 year old would do this. He's not fat more like a bean pole tongue.gif
^Find the Cure^
CANCER SUCKS

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost!"
-- Ronald Reagan, Labor Day 1980

#11 User is offline   Dos mangos 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

5 minutes

#12 User is offline   KnotaNewbie 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

This time with your kids - when they are young - are the times that they will learn (from you) whats most important in life as well as everything else they learn. It's tough to parent well, but it's the most rewarding job you will ever do.

Go with your gut and stik to your guns ! This time passes all too fast and this is your best opportunity to guide them.

Keep your head in the game, know where they are, what they are doing and who they are doing it with.

Happy parenting !!!

This post has been edited by LakeNewbie: 29 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

Ask me about a beachfront condo in Florida :-)

#13 User is offline   Sheamus 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Harrison Township, MI
  • Boat Type:1977, 28 Ft. Carver Santa Cruz
  • Boat Name: Molly Malone

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Go on eBay and find an Atari 2600, buy all the games you can find.... Then tell them they can have all the game time they want, when they stomp off saying this sucks you pick up the controller and go to town.

#14 User is offline   waterfordmatt 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Sheamus @ Jan 29 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go on eBay and find an Atari 2600, buy all the games you can find.... Then tell them they can have all the game time they want, when they stomp off saying this sucks you pick up the controller and go to town.

laugh.gif I remember space invaders and trying to see how many times you could "flip" the score because it could only count so high.

Hes a great kid and gets awsome grades but dont want him to have mush brain from all the games. I remeber a couple months ago I went in his room and he was playing football and was crying. I was like whats wrong? bad day at school? girl problems? nope he was crying because he couldnt believe he was being beat by the lions. next thing I know I was crying also but because I was laughing so hard. he didnt find it very funny. thats when I realized that the games had to be cut down.

#15 User is offline   Soo Sassy 

• LSCN Legend
  • Group: Moderators
  • Boat Type:2004 280 Sea Ray

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Sheamus @ Jan 29 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Parents gave my Sister our old Atari and all the games (we had a gazillion of them) and I've been trying to get her to give everything to me and she won't....they don't even use it! I would so totally play, I don't care how ancient it is!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.