The Lake St.Clair Network: Converting a short shaft outboard to long shaft - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting a short shaft outboard to long shaft

#1 User is offline   Mike'sGoneFishin 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: Macomb
  • Boat Type:1995 17ft Proline CC

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has experience with this question. I have an opportunity to purchase an 8hp 1980's Mercury outboard that is a short shaft but want to know if it is possible to convert to long shaft for use as a kicker on my fishing boat. I am assuming it can be done but is it very costly and are the parts easy to find. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Mike

#2 User is offline   illMATTic 

• New Recruit
  • Boat Type:Checkmate

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Mike'sGoneFishin @ Mar 24 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has experience with this question. I have an opportunity to purchase an 8hp 1980's Mercury outboard that is a short shaft but want to know if it is possible to convert to long shaft for use as a kicker on my fishing boat. I am assuming it can be done but is it very costly and are the parts easy to find. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Mike

If you can get the shorty at great price it may be worth it. If its like the larger outboards, you will need a lower unit with the longer shaft and a spacer for the mid-section. I am not sure how many used parts are out there for the smaller outboards. After all the work involved it may be better to find a long shaft engine ready to bolt up.

#3 User is offline   ColPepper 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM Well E183
  • Boat Type:1987 40' Silverton Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: Salt-n-Pepper III

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:44 AM

If you find it too expensive to convert it and decide not to buy and wouldn't mind sharing the info I'm looking for a decent priced used outboard for my dingy.. Currently I have a 3.5hp Mercury and that I really don't like.. I want an outboard that has the gas throttle on the handle and also has a reverse gear which mine doesn't.. I have three older 7hp outboards that I got for free but only one of them has the throttle in the handle and none of them have a reverse gear. They are all short shaft also.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.