The Lake St.Clair Network: HOW TO USE LURE COLORS CORRECTLY - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOW TO USE LURE COLORS CORRECTLY Read This !!!!!!!!!

#1 User is offline   h2o 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: Warren
  • Boat Type:stealth
  • Boat Name: h2o

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:14 PM

wink.gif Most fish can see in color. As in people,the retina of a fish's eye contains two types of cells, rods and cones. Cones are used for day vision and are the cells used to colors. Rods are used for night vision and cannot distinguish colors,although they can judge light intensity. The eyes of most freshwater fish contain both rods and cones, though day feeders tend to have more cones, and night feeders more rods.

In theory, then, day feeders like bass, trout, and salmon are more sensitive to color than night feeders like walleyes. Studies have shown that rainbow trout and Pacific salmon have color vision similar to that of humans. They can distinguish complementary colors and up to 24 spectral hues. Other studies have shown that brown trout are capable of sharply focusing on near and far objects at the same time and that they can clearly see different colors at different distances.

But light behaves differently in water than it does in air. The various colors of light travel at different wavelengths. The longest wavelengths are the REDS, followed by ORANGES,YELLOWS,GREENS,BLUES, INDIGOS,and VIOLETS. When light travels through water, some of its energy is absorped, and the longest wavelengths are the ones absorbed first. Thus, the warmer colors fade out and gradually appear black as light penetrates the water column. Red light is almot completely absorbed within the first 15-20 feet. Orange penetrates to 30-40 feet, and yellow to 60-70 feet, while green and blue remain visible for as deep as the light penetrates.

Total light intensity is also important. On a cloudy day, colors will not penetrate as deep as they will on a sunny day. At dusk, as light intensity falls, reds are the first color to go, followed by orange, yellow, green, and blue. As total light intensity decreases, the fish's eye switches to vision with rods, and the fish is no longer able to distinguish colors. After dark, fishermen should choose between a light lure or dark one. At dawn, as light intensity increases and fish switch back to cone vision, the order is reversed, and blues, greens, yellows, oranges, and reds appear. At early dawn, some anglers are successful with a red J-plug near the surface. To fish striking from below, it shows up as a dark lure against the lightening sky. As the day gets lighter, red no longer works well, and anglers must experiment with more visable colors.

Hope you learned something........

h2o-----------light and lure's
Be happy to be part of all you see
Veterans gave their Today for your Tomorrow

www.usabrotherhood.net

(my gaming website) aka Sir Vortex USA

Trautman: The war, the whole conflict may have been wrong but damn it don't hate your country for it.
Rambo: Hate? I'd die for it.
Trautman: Then what is it you want?
Rambo: I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!
Trautman: How will you live, John?
Rambo: Day by day.

#2 User is offline   Bananna-boat 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: troy
  • Boat Type:1979 Starcraft 16.5 Bowrider
  • Boat Name: Just Rite

Posted 02 September 2003 - 09:13 PM

This is very true. I have a "Color C Lector" from Lake Systems(I don't know if they are still in business). Using the Color C Lector, you lower a probe down in the water to the depth that you are fishing and then depending on the clearity of the water it will indicate the color of lure you should use. I have used this and it has worked . I don't depend on it and actually seldom use it, but it is another tool in my fishing box.

#3 User is offline   millertime166 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: Black Creek
  • Boat Type:'96, 20', Bayliner, Trophy
  • Boat Name: Miller Time

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:09 AM

Found this online using google...
"Color-C-Lector
by Lake Systems Division
(defunct divison of Fenwick)

NOTE: To my knowledge, Color-C-Lectors, Combo-C-Lectors, and Multi-C-Lectors were discontinued many years ago."
I saw a review on this some years ago on a fishing show. It wasn't an ad, the guy was show how it worked and seeing if it did work... and it did. I always had it in the back of my mind to get one to play with. Guess I waited to long to get one.

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   Alex 

• LSCN Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:54 AM

Good stuff!
"A Champion is someone who gets up even when they can't" - unknown

#5 User is offline   No More Mini 

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 September 2003 - 08:38 AM

I also have a color selector and a PH meter (seperate units, although there was a combo unit sold back in the day).

I dont use them much and I have not found the information to be very useful on the color selector, the PH meter is a different story.....

Mini

#6 User is offline   Bananna-boat 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: troy
  • Boat Type:1979 Starcraft 16.5 Bowrider
  • Boat Name: Just Rite

Posted 03 September 2003 - 03:28 PM

Same here. It had been several years since I had even tried mine. I tried it in the middle channel today and it indicated (as best I could determine) that yellow was the color of the day there. I tried the nearest think to yellow I had, but no luck.
But then, I had no luck with anything I tried.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.