The Lake St.Clair Network: Kicker motor (mount, etc) recomendations and where to buy? - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kicker motor (mount, etc) recomendations and where to buy? please help!

#1 User is offline   Hawghanger 

• New Recruit
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: Harrison Township
  • Boat Type:09 Trophy 2152, '06 Go Devil 16X44/23 HP Longtail

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

Fellas,

I bought an 09 Trophy 2152 walk around last fall and am ready to pull the trigger on a kicker set up for the boat. I have been trying to research all the possible options/prices on mounts and motors, and it is driving me bonkers..

Motors: i have pretty much settled on a yamaha T-8 or T-9, Mercury pro kicker, or a tohatsu 9.8 for just a touch less. I think I am going to go with power tilt/electric start. I also plan on getting an EZ steer setup for the rig.

i am at a loss wether to get a 20 or 25 inch shaft. I know it pretty much depends on my mounting system, which brings me to my other dilema..

it seems most folks advise against the adjustable mounting brackets from Garelick, etc., (but I was looking at the panther 4 stroke model, $400) Everyone raves about the OMC mounts, but try as I might, I cannot for the life of me find ANY on the net...are they out of production? I have talked to a few who say go with a fixed mount, and I am looking at this one from adventure marine..

https://www.adventuremarine.net/product-cat...5&do=detail

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is there a good local place (or Online) who you reccommend to buy the motor? (i am new to the area)

2) Which shaft length should I get? 20 or 25?

3) which mounting system should I go with?

basically, if you had my boat, how would you set it up? I definately want to do this right the first time, before I start drilling holes through my shiny new boats transom!

thanks guys!

#2 User is offline   sshhiittyy 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Boat Type:13' meyers 15hp johnson
  • Boat Name: my sshhiittyy boat

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:04 AM

my dad has a 20' trophy but its a little older, ill take some pics tomorrow and post them if you'd like, but he has the adjustable mount and his doesnt have the throttle or steering hooked up to it. but you can check it out just for an idea to see if you like it or not. sorry i really cant help answer your questions, but you'll get some answers soon enough
cars and soccer = Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
PS3-sshhiittyy

#3 User is offline   kayceedee 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Mitchell's Bay
  • Boat Type:2000 23ft Sport-Craft 232GLS
  • Boat Name: K-Sea-D

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(Hawghanger @ Jun 24 2010, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fellas,

I bought an 09 Trophy 2152 walk around last fall and am ready to pull the trigger on a kicker set up for the boat. I have been trying to research all the possible options/prices on mounts and motors, and it is driving me bonkers..

Motors: i have pretty much settled on a yamaha T-8 or T-9, Mercury pro kicker, or a tohatsu 9.8 for just a touch less. I think I am going to go with power tilt/electric start. I also plan on getting an EZ steer setup for the rig.

i am at a loss wether to get a 20 or 25 inch shaft. I know it pretty much depends on my mounting system, which brings me to my other dilema..

it seems most folks advise against the adjustable mounting brackets from Garelick, etc., (but I was looking at the panther 4 stroke model, $400) Everyone raves about the OMC mounts, but try as I might, I cannot for the life of me find ANY on the net...are they out of production? I have talked to a few who say go with a fixed mount, and I am looking at this one from adventure marine..

https://www.adventuremarine.net/product-cat...5&do=detail

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is there a good local place (or Online) who you reccommend to buy the motor? (i am new to the area)

2) Which shaft length should I get? 20 or 25?

3) which mounting system should I go with?

basically, if you had my boat, how would you set it up? I definately want to do this right the first time, before I start drilling holes through my shiny new boats transom!

thanks guys!

After setting up a kicker on my last boat and helping a buddy set his up (he has about the same boat as you) I have a little experience with this... 1. Where you purchase depends on what you decide to buy. I had the Yamaha T-8 and was very happy witht he motor. My buddy also purchased the T-8 for his boat after fishing on mine. 2. I would go with the longer shaft. You should have some options on how high you mount the bracket but when you get into some big water (waves)you will want the longer shaft so the motor is constantly bobbing out of the water. On my friends Trophy we have fished some big water int he central basin of Lk. Erie and even his long shaft will occassionally come out of the water. 3. As far as the mounting system goes the first question I would ask you is if you trailer any distance. Many of the mounting brackets are not rated for trailering believe it or not. There are also ones specifically for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. With a 4 stroke being a heavier motor the bracket should match the motor. If I remember right the panther bracket was about one of the only ones that was rated for trailering.

Bad things happen when they sell you a boat and tell you that the adjustable bracket will work for trailering and then they sell you a bracket rated for a 2 stroke instead of a 4.... Yes, I know this from personal experience. I will spare you the details but lets just say that I lost almost the whole first summer I purchased my boat due to this exact issue. I would recommend the EZ steer as well. Do you have an outboard or I/O? If you have an I/O with a swim platform you could run into soem issues in getting the EZ to mount correctly. My old boat had a step down on the back next to the outboard which allowed me to mount a bracket for a swim platform. That worked well for me with all the trailering i do. Good luck and hope the info helps.
"Wishin' I was Fishin'!"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.