• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Meat Thermometer

#1 User is offline   Barty Time 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

What's a good meat thermometer to use? It seems by the time that my meat reaches the required temp per the meter I'm using it's over-done and dried out!

#2 User is offline   Big Dog 

• LSCN Sponsor since 0410
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: LSCN Sponsor
  • Boat Type:1994 Starcraft

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

Get an "instant read" thermometer and cook the meat to about 10 degrees lower than you choose for the finished temperature, cover the meat with foil and let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Larger thicker cuts of meat will continue to cook after being removed from the grill or oven, and if you slice them too soon you loose all the juices, making the meat dry and tough.
Very lean meats will make it even more noticeable, choose meat with small amounts of fat throughout. it should have a but of marbling to remain tender and juicy.
If you use a lean meat, marinades can help with both moisture and flavor.
Be sure your grill is hot enough to sear the meat when you first put it on the grill. The sear helps seal the outside surface and hold the juices inside.
Big Dog

Just My Style Embroidery
justmystyleembroidery@gmail.com

My link

#3 User is offline   Tony 

• LSCN Sponsor since Jan 08
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Home Port: driveway
  • Boat Type:16 foot starcraft center console
  • Boat Name: Whiskey 8

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

I got mine at bed bath and beyond on gratiot south of 14 mile raod. It is a digital and you can set a temperature alarm to go off when it reaches the desired temp. It has a 2 foot cord to the probe so you can kieep the monitor outside of the grill and smoker and see what the temp is without taking the lid off the grill and releasing any heat. Oneida makes it I think and it was about $20.
CRESSWELL & FROBERGER P.C.
Free Consultations for Civil, Criminal, Family, Probate, and Bankruptcy
(586) 731-7670 www.frobergerlaw.com

#4 User is offline   Chefnutz 

• LSCN Sponsor since March 08
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

You dont want to discount carry over cooking. Lets take prime rib for example, you want it to be 125 degrees(thats what the state tells me wink.gif ) so pull it out at 11o degrees and let it carry over, if you like med 135-140 pull it out at 120 degrees, and so on. Good luck!!!!

oh, i use my fingers. no thermometer. it is programmed in my head. smile.gif

#5 User is offline   ThreeCrabs 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: The open waters of LSC!
  • Boat Type:SeaDoo Speedster
  • Boat Name: 3Crabs

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 8 2010, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You dont want to discount carry over cooking. Lets take prime rib for example, you want it to be 125 degrees(thats what the state tells me wink.gif ) so pull it out at 11o degrees and let it carry over, if you like med 135-140 pull it out at 120 degrees, and so on. Good luck!!!!

oh, i use my fingers. no thermometer. it is programmed in my head. smile.gif

That's how I cook....you can even roast a chicken/turkey and tell w/o a thermometer. Setting under a foil tent w/o heat keeps your meat tender and juicy and from over cooking, unless you enjoy chewy cardboard.

I don't like red meat very much, but really enjoyed my perfect bbq'd ribeyes, topped with blue cheese and pan seared mushrooms tonight.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.