The Lake St.Clair Network: Plugging holes in aluminum boat - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plugging holes in aluminum boat best way?

#1 User is offline   perchlips 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

I want to put a new transducer on my aluminum boat which will leave me with three old holes. I was wondering what is the best way to plug old screw holes on a aluminum boat? Any one have experience with this please let me know best way. Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   ConradB 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Grant Twp
  • Boat Type:1966 Lone Star Medallion II 16ft
  • Boat Name: Blue Goose II

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Did the screws go into wood too?

If so, use stainless steel screws and washers. At the autoparts store, pick up some rubber gasket material. Also get a little silicone sealer. Inject some silicone sealer into the holes.
Cut small patch size pieces of rubber about the size of the washer, or a little bigger.
Pierce the center for the screw.
Make sure the rubber is between the hull and washer, and tighten the screw into place.

If you aren't sure of the integrity of the wood, get some epoxy cement, small tubes, and using a toothpick, inject the epoxy into the holes, and insert the screws while it is still fresh. If you get 30 minute setting epoxy it will give you plenty of time to work with your materials.

That's how I sealed mine up, and it hasn't leaked since. And it's going on the third year now.

#3 User is offline   the tank 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: garage
  • Boat Type:14' smokercraft Big Fisherman

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(perchlips @ Jul 11 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to put a new transducer on my aluminum boat which will leave me with three old holes. I was wondering what is the best way to plug old screw holes on a aluminum boat? Any one have experience with this please let me know best way. Thanks in advance.

I agree with conradB The silicone or the epoxy or both (little overkill) I used silicone and ss screws 7 years ago and no problems to this day.

#4 User is offline   TAOTAO61 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: scs
  • Boat Type:175 Larson

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

3m 5200 marine sealant, coat the screws with it when driving them back in

MAY the HOLES in your NET be no LARGER than the FISH in it

- Irish Blessing

#5 User is offline   DR.hook 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: clawson
  • Boat Type:14.9 ft smokercraft
  • Boat Name: bite me

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

when i mounted a transducer i siliconed a peice of treated wood (2"by2" by 1 " thick )so i wouldnt have to screw thru the hull its been on there sense 2003 with no problems

#6 User is offline   b727mech 

• New Recruit
  • Boat Type:1986 EbbTide

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

If You can Get to the open holes, use some solid rivets, Im an aircraft sheetmetal mechanic, Thats what I have done to my boats in the past. Shoot me a note if you need any help.

Good Luck

#7 User is offline   ConradB 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Grant Twp
  • Boat Type:1966 Lone Star Medallion II 16ft
  • Boat Name: Blue Goose II

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(b727mech @ Jul 12 2010, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If You can Get to the open holes, use some solid rivets, Im an aircraft sheetmetal mechanic, Thats what I have done to my boats in the past. Shoot me a note if you need any help.

Good Luck

That would be the ideal thing to do, but if the transducer mounted to the transom, then there is usually wood behind the holes. That's the tough part.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.