• You cannot reply to this topic

Shake & Bake Venison

#1 User is offline   Big Dog 

• LSCN Sponsor since 0410
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: LSCN Sponsor
  • Boat Type:1994 Starcraft

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

Yep you read that right, Shake & Bake Venison.
Being one to try new things and having some venison steaks to fix for dinner I decided to experiment a bit.
I kinda liked the idea of a Chicken Fried Steak, but not with a cream gravy, so I improvised.
I started with a packet of Shake & Bake for Pork, added 1 teaspoon of onion powder and 1 teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning, breaded the meat and baked at 375 for 10 minutes on each side.
I served the steaks with some oven roast potatoes, canned beef gravy and a side of corn.
Family rated at 11 on a scale of 1-10 sunglass2.gif

Big Dog

Just My Style Embroidery
justmystyleembroidery@gmail.com

My link

#2 User is offline   Tony 

• LSCN Sponsor since Jan 08
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Home Port: driveway
  • Boat Type:16 foot starcraft center console
  • Boat Name: Whiskey 8

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

Did you pound the steak flat? Or did you leave em thick? If left thick did you cook them all the way through or leave em a bit bloody? Just curious since I am always looking to do something different with the meat and this sounds good. Seems to me without pounding them flat that they may be tough if cooked well done.
CRESSWELL & FROBERGER P.C.
Free Consultations for Civil, Criminal, Family, Probate, and Bankruptcy
(586) 731-7670 www.frobergerlaw.com

#3 User is offline   Big Dog 

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Tony @ Oct 13 2010, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you pound the steak flat? Or did you leave em thick? If left thick did you cook them all the way through or leave em a bit bloody? Just curious since I am always looking to do something different with the meat and this sounds good. Seems to me without pounding them flat that they may be tough if cooked well done.

They were about a half inch thick, I just left them alone. Pounding them thinner might have left them a little too dried out for my taste. They came out about medium doneness, tender but not bloody, just the way I like them.

You really could do a lot with the base recipe, by varying the Shake & Bake and the seasonings. The Shake & Bake for Chicken would probably be really good with some added Greek seasonings.

Poor Bronco, he ended up with just one bite from each of us, and actually resorted to eating Dog Food later in the evening sad.gif

This post has been edited by Big Dog: 13 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Big Dog

Just My Style Embroidery

My link

#4 User is offline   Chasin' Em 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: hooked to truck
  • Boat Type:18.5 starcraft
  • Boat Name: n/a

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'll have to try it. My Dad is a avid rabbit hunter even at age 77 and got me hooked on it for rabbit a few years back, cooking it like the package directions said (bar-b-que) Thanks for the suggestion and I like the added spice even though some of the family may not. (to bad for them)

This post has been edited by Chasin' Em: 15 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

#5 User is offline   Big Dog 

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Chasin' Em @ Oct 15 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll have to try it. My Dad is a avid rabbit hunter even at age 77 and got me hooked on it for rabbit a few years back, cooking it like the package directions said (bar-b-que) Thanks for the suggestion and I like the added spice even though some of the family may not. (to bad for them)

Bread a few pieces for the rest of the family first, then add the seasonings and bread your portion, and mark them with a toothpick stuck in the side.
My daughter is a picky eater, and I have to leave half of the flavor out of her portions, I end up doing this a lot. smile.gif
Big Dog

Just My Style Embroidery

My link

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.