The Lake St.Clair Network: ok then - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ok then how about jet boat recommendations.

#1 User is offline   Suck My Wake 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Boat Type:Boatless!

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

Alright so apparently nobody has any experience with the mercury engine from my other post.

Any recommendations on a decent jet boat model that I can get for a reasonable price? Say around$5-6k?

I am looking for something cheap just to get me out on the water until I can get back into big boating. I have a snowmobile have experience in the world of 2 stroke motors and all of the care and maintenance they require.

#2 User is offline   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Feb 22 2011, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright so apparently nobody has any experience with the mercury engine from my other post.

Any recommendations on a decent jet boat model that I can get for a reasonable price? Say around$5-6k?

I am looking for something cheap just to get me out on the water until I can get back into big boating. I have a snowmobile have experience in the world of 2 stroke motors and all of the care and maintenance they require.

Did you see this one in CL? jetboat

I don't know if this is a great deal, or much about Yamaha's other than a friend has had one for a few years and he likes it (but that is NOT an endorsement... he's not that knowledgeable about boats)

After looking up a little on this particular boat, I saw some good info. Looks like a pretty good price, but don't have any idea of the shape of the boat.

Some posters suggest these mods:
"1. Pick up some EZ-lock pins for the clean-out plugs or they could blow and could leave you wet and stranded
2. Inspect the Bilge area and make sure the mufflers don't touch the hull, or you could be wet and underwater
3. Make sure the oil lines have been changed or they could shrink and pull off of the zip tie clamps and you could blow an engine
4. Make sure you change out your catalytic converter and switch to a d-plate. Your catalytic converter could break apart and get in your exhaust and could cause major problems.
5. Order Waveeater clips and couplers. The XR engines have power valves that could break apart and fall into your engine and cause engine failure.

I just finished these modifications and they aren't that difficult. They are a little time consuming, and you will find yourself learning some new swear words. But, I am glad I did them myself and I am really glad I didn't pay the dealer $1,500 to do these mods. PM, me if you have any questions."

These were from here: Yamaha Jet Boat Forum

This post has been edited by KMC: 22 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

#3 User is offline   Suck My Wake 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:57 AM

We had a GP1200 for a short time so I am aware of the issues like the d-plate and power valve clips. Other than those few things, yamaha seems to make a pretty reliable engine.

Should have kept that jet ski. We sold it to get our big boat and that was our big mistake.

This post has been edited by Suck My Wake: 23 February 2011 - 06:58 AM

#4 User is offline   Convincor 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: LSCN Sponsor
  • Home Port: Harrison Twp
  • Boat Type:1988 Sea Ray 300 Weekender
  • Boat Name: Liquid Living

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

What have you found so far? I haven't had a chance to look around, but if I see something out there I will let you know.

I would recommend a single engine boat. I do like the SeaDoo boats though. Rare, but there are single Merc SeaDoo boats out there. Hard to find though.

There aren't any strangers out there, only friends we haven't met yet...

Belvidere Boat Club: Celebrating 50 years.

I spent half my money on woman and booze. The other half I wasted

#5 User is offline   Suck My Wake 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Pretty slim pickings right now. Although it should be about time for people to start posting them as the season is quickly approaching.

#6 User is offline   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(Convincor @ Mar 1 2011, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What have you found so far? I haven't had a chance to look around, but if I see something out there I will let you know.

I would recommend a single engine boat. I do like the SeaDoo boats though. Rare, but there are single Merc SeaDoo boats out there. Hard to find though.

Why?

#7 User is offline   Suck My Wake 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

Are these mercury sport jet engines similar to an outboard powerhead?

#8 User is offline   Rheeder218 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Harrison Twp
  • Boat Type:Scarab Sport CC

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Would you be interested in a 97 Sea Raider F16xr? Purple and yellow in good condition.

#9 User is offline   Suck My Wake 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Rheeder218 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you be interested in a 97 Sea Raider F16xr? Purple and yellow in good condition.

I wouldnt rule it out. I will have to check it out online. I havent looked at anything yet, other than browsing listings at the end of last season.

#10 User is offline   sleeper 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: St. Clair Shores
  • Boat Type:Yamaha GPR, Kawasaki 650SX

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

If you get into the yamaha jet boat, I would also recommend rebuilding the carbs and jetting it a little bit richer. They are jetted quite lean from the factory to keep the catalytic converter alive. This cost me a motor when my waverunner was stock. I've also heard horror stories about many a stuck piston in the jet boats. Do all the above mods and jet it a little fatter and it should live forever. Or, at least until a power valve breaks in half (waveater clips won't stop that from happening!).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.