#1 User is offline   Numbskull 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: Clinton River
  • Boat Name: Numbskull

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

Forum talks water levels

SARNIA, Ontario -- Representatives from the International Upper Great Lakes Study heard concerns Tuesday about the effects of placing structures in the headwaters of the St. Clair River to raise water levels in lakes Huron and Michigan.

About 60 people attended a public meeting Tuesday night at Lambton College in Sarnia during a mandatory update on the multiyear, multimillion-dollar investigation of Great Lakes water levels.

The study is sponsored by the International Joint Commission -- which advises the U.S. and Canadian governments on lake policies -- and was initiated in 2007 as a scheduled update to regulatory practices for Lake Superior, specifically regarding control structures at Sault Ste. Marie.

Added to the study's directives was an evaluation of whether structures in the headwaters of the St. Clair River would raise water levels in lakes Huron and Michigan.

The study -- which has involved hundreds of scientists throughout the United States and Canada -- is nearing the end of its second phase and is expected to be submitted to the International Joint Commission in March. Ted Yuzyk, Canadian co-chairman for the study, addressed research methods and stressed the study's role is to provide an objective analysis of options to the International Joint Commission, not to make recommendations or proposals.

Numerous concerns were raised by those in attendance regarding the ecological ramifications of placing structures in the St. Clair River. The structures -- such as gates, dikes or inflatable barriers -- would disrupt sturgeon spawning habitat, could potentially stir mercury-contaminated sediments and would temporarily lower water levels in Lake St. Clair "significantly," environmental consultant Scudder Mackey said.

A drop in the level of Lake St. Clair by 6 to 8 inches would result in a loss of up to 40% of the fish spawning sites and allow invasive phragmites to take over, Mackey said.

Major changes to Great Lakes waterways historically have been initiated by economic concerns, but aren't a factor when it comes to the St. Clair River.

"There are no economic drivers for structures in the St. Clair River," Yuzyk said.

Preliminary reports from the study indicated remedial measures in the St. Clair River are not immediately needed.

The public's strong concerns about placing structures in the river will be noted in the final report to the commission, said John Nevin, public affairs advisor for the commission's Great Lake office.

SOURCE
No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   don g 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: beacon cove
  • Boat Type:2003,rinker 290
  • Boat Name: serinty II

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

it just blows my mind all the BS they go through waisting tax payers money for something they are going to do anyway.it affects shipping that is all that matters,poor lsc :angry:
ARE WE THERE YET?

#3 User is offline   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

If it causes so much of a problem with low levels in LSC, why not just move the constuction down to the Detroit River, Between Canada and Peche Island?? Much more controllable, no hazard to navigation (especially if it's temporary) and you can actually RAISE the LSC level a couple inches so you don't have to dredge the whole channel out again. (not to mention then I might be able to get back into the moot or Fisher's bay again!)

#4 User is online   cptnboom 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Home Port: Anchor Bay Marina
  • Boat Type:'02 Doral 310se
  • Boat Name: Office Space II

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

I work with the federal govenment....I rest easy knowing that they will talk about it for 20+ years before ever putting a concept out for discussion. Then, it will take another 20+ years of court dialogue to do anything. In the meantime, I am heading out to Muscamoot to enjoy some cool weather and read a book.

Dont get me started on the waste tax payer money......:rofl
Check out the Idle Hour Yacht Club Events Calendar!

#5 User is offline   don g 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

i believe the history of this whole project has to do with them dredging the st clair river some time ago so erosion has added to that making the river drain to quickly,so they want to slow down the current. by adding crap to the bottom. gee if they would of just left it alone in the first place. thats what i remember reading years ago,they might have changed thier story by now,you know CMA :blink:
ARE WE THERE YET?

#6 User is offline   kemper 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Pier Park, Grosse Pointe Farms
  • Boat Type:Carver 3207 M.Y. Aft Cabin

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

View Postdon g, on 03 August 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

i believe the history of this whole project has to do with them dredging the st clair river some time ago so erosion has added to that making the river drain to quickly,so they want to slow down the current. by adding crap to the bottom. gee if they would of just left it alone in the first place. thats what i remember reading years ago,they might have changed thier story by now,you know CMA :blink:

Here is some good Bathroom reading material on the subject

http://pub.iugls.org...StClairVol2.pdf

I just want to know if the 1960-62 27ft project caused all of this why was the highest recored level in Lake Huron, Michigan and LSC in 1986 and not before 1962

This post has been edited by kemper: 03 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

#7 User is offline   Stodge 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Home Port: MacRay Harbor
  • Boat Type:Rinker FV 280:Brig F360LH
  • Boat Name: Tig's Toy Too:TT 2.5

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

View Postkemper, on 03 August 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

I just want to know if the 1960-62 27ft project caused all of this why was the highest recored level in Lake Huron, Michigan and LSC in 1986 and not before 1962

Global warming. :ph34r:
The way to a boat's heart is through her gas tank - Stodge

Pronunciation: 'stäj noun: something or someone stodgy.

Commodore SHC
USCGAUX Vessel Examiner

#8 User is offline   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

View PostStodge, on 03 August 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

I just want to know if the 1960-62 27ft project caused all of this why was the highest recored level in LSC in 1986 and not before 1962

too much peeing in the moot?

#9 User is offline   kemper 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Pier Park, Grosse Pointe Farms
  • Boat Type:Carver 3207 M.Y. Aft Cabin

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

View PostKMC, on 03 August 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostStodge, on 03 August 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

I just want to know if the 1960-62 27ft project caused all of this why was the highest recored level in LSC in 1986 and not before 1962

too much peeing in the moot?

As long as it wasnt a log jam ---

#10 User is offline   don g 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

not that anyone would admit it but i believe there was talk back then about moving some of our water to the mississippi,its amazing what they can do with the great lake lock system, again a shipping thing because the barges where getting stuck.,so mississippi got water and ours just kept going down,but remember this is just all rumors that i heard back then,but i remember the lake dropping 8in in a few days on the canadian side
ARE WE THERE YET?

#11 User is offline   Esther 

• New Recruit

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

i believe too "the history of this whole project has to do with them dredging the st clair river some time ago so erosion has added to that making the river drain to quickly,so they want to slow down the current" i like this point of view.

#12 User is online   cptnboom 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Home Port: Anchor Bay Marina
  • Boat Type:'02 Doral 310se
  • Boat Name: Office Space II

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postcptnboom, on 03 August 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

I work with the federal govenment....I rest easy knowing that they will talk about it for 20+ years before ever putting a concept out for discussion. Then, it will take another 20+ years of court dialogue to do anything. In the meantime, I am heading out to Muscamoot to enjoy some cool weather and read a book.

Dont get me started on the waste tax payer money......:rofl

Just re-reading this thread and my post....DAMNT I want to head over to the Moot right now to read a book.....
Check out the Idle Hour Yacht Club Events Calendar!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.