The Lake St.Clair Network: The Detroit Boat Show - 2012 - The Lake St.Clair Network

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Detroit Boat Show - 2012 Post your pictures and comments here!

#31 User is offline   Powerboat1 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Tcq,
You are bored and I can understand why.
I honored you with taking time to respond, which is what you needed. Perhaps too much wax dust is taking it's toll.
I do not know, I can only speculate.
I am not too worried about my own advice, I can pay my own way, thanks.
I personally see no intellectual value in carrying on with you.
You are dismissed,
Mike

This post has been edited by Powerboat1: 20 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

#32 User is offline   tcg 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Tcq,
You are bored and I can understand why.
I honored you with taking time to respond, which is what you needed. Perhaps too much wax dust is taking it's toll.
I do not know, I can only speculate.
I am not too worried about my own advice, I can pay my own way, thanks.
I personally see no intellectual value in carrying on with you.
You are dismissed,
Mile

I did not ask for a response from you. I made an observation.
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Away Point 

• LSCN Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostAway Point, on 20 February 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Who bought a new boat at the show?

Heard the bell ring twice Saturday, so someone bought something, I guess.

I can't even imagine buying something brand new. The rapid depreciation is just mind boggling!!!

One pleasant thing for me is to see how many things about my old boat I like better than its new counterpart. Granted, they do have new features I would certainly enjoy, but things like going from 3 closets to one, much smaller refrigerator, and a inconveniently located electrical panel, all make me wonder what they're thinking in the design process.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. Seems like it was better than the last time I went a couple years ago.

Truthfully, I'm not sure which gives me more of an itch to get back on the water. Being around all those boats, or what epitomizes so well one of the things we escape while on the water -- the dry, expressionless, indifferent attitude with which someone can deliver hotdogs and beer at rip off prices. lol

Someone has to pay for all those Union workers plugging in the salesmen's laptop, and if you are not going to buy a new boat, they know you just might buy a hot dog and 2 beers. There is your cost structure. If a few forum members would start buying new boats, say 1 percent, the price of beer and hotdogs might go down for 99 percent of the forum members. Basic 2012 economics.

AP, You need to get down to the Miami Show next year. It is an experience a boat guy like you just might enjoy. Boats, Engines, Parts, builders,X 10. I have never experienced a dry,expressionless, indifferent attitude with a young lady in a bikini serving drinks at the Miami show. Put it on your calendar.

I really should make a Miami show trip happen. I'm sure there would be plenty to captivate my interests. Maybe even an interesting boat or two also. :-p lol

I'm glad there still is a boat show at Cobo, but I have to wonder how viable it really is for participants. I guess if they keep coming it must be, but if a hot dog is 4 bucks, hate to imagine what it costs to actually have a presence there.
There are 2 seasons; Boating season, and Waiting for boating season.
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   hammer 

• Calls LSCN Home
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Home Port: MacRay Harbor
  • Boat Type:Cruisers Yachts
  • Boat Name: Hammertime IV

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Heard the bell ring at least SIX times on Sunday
SAVE OUR SOUTH CHANNEL LIGHTS... Gateway to the Moot!!

#35 User is offline   Capt'n Mike 

• LSCN Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

The bell did ring a lot of Sunday, even past the 6:00 closing time. In the elevator ride to the roof there was a family who just bought a new boat and was thrilled. Hope to see them on the site soon!

#36 User is offline   GGR340SD 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Harsens Island
  • Boat Type:2005 340 Sundancer/2002 17' Boston Whaler Montauk

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

No doubt the show is much smaller than it was 10 years ago or so. However, my family and I still enjoy going down there for an afternoon, in the cold month of February, to look around, take notes, compare features and generally start thinking about the upcoming season. Obviously, ultimately the point of the show is to sell boats/products. With the costs the vendor's incur, I hope they were successful and wish them the best of luck in this tough market!

In addition to any sales at the show, there are the post show sales...the sales that started at the show by planting the bug. I didn't buy my first cruiser at the show, but it sure got my wife thinking about what a great family activity it would be and it did eventually lead to a purchase.

#37 User is offline   Powerboat1 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostAway Point, on 20 February 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostAway Point, on 20 February 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Who bought a new boat at the show?

Heard the bell ring twice Saturday, so someone bought something, I guess.

I can't even imagine buying something brand new. The rapid depreciation is just mind boggling!!!

One pleasant thing for me is to see how many things about my old boat I like better than its new counterpart. Granted, they do have new features I would certainly enjoy, but things like going from 3 closets to one, much smaller refrigerator, and a inconveniently located electrical panel, all make me wonder what they're thinking in the design process.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. Seems like it was better than the last time I went a couple years ago.

Truthfully, I'm not sure which gives me more of an itch to get back on the water. Being around all those boats, or what epitomizes so well one of the things we escape while on the water -- the dry, expressionless, indifferent attitude with which someone can deliver hotdogs and beer at rip off prices. lol

Someone has to pay for all those Union workers plugging in the salesmen's laptop, and if you are not going to buy a new boat, they know you just might buy a hot dog and 2 beers. There is your cost structure. If a few forum members would start buying new boats, say 1 percent, the price of beer and hotdogs might go down for 99 percent of the forum members. Basic 2012 economics.

AP, You need to get down to the Miami Show next year. It is an experience a boat guy like you just might enjoy. Boats, Engines, Parts, builders,X 10. I have never experienced a dry,expressionless, indifferent attitude with a young lady in a bikini serving drinks at the Miami show. Put it on your calendar.

I really should make a Miami show trip happen. I'm sure there would be plenty to captivate my interests. Maybe even an interesting boat or two also. :-p lol

I'm glad there still is a boat show at Cobo, but I have to wonder how viable it really is for participants. I guess if they keep coming it must be, but if a hot dog is 4 bucks, hate to imagine what it costs to actually have a presence there.

Viability of the show participants is like asking what a new car dealer's invoice is. It is different for everyone. Back in the day most of the cost for an exhibit was paid for by the dealer, many of whom were mom and pop, and are long gone. There came a time when putting on the exhibit became too much of a high cost, and with boat manufactures consolidating, they got smart fast and started to throw dollars into the show to keep their boats out there.

The last time I wrote a check for square foot exhibit space it cost us more to have the boats brought in, set up etc than the actual "space'. This was a long time ago. You look at a 50K expense and realize most of it went to Cobo's finest unions. We stopped attending, and a funny thing happened. No change in sales, we were sold out by Memorial Day, with 50K extra for beer money. We were offered discounts etc, but again, the space was not the cost. I know they have worked hard and made alot of progress with those issues. The fact of the matter, what cost 50K in Detroit cost 10K in Miami back in the day, crazy.
So as long as manufactures will supply boats with out juicing the dealer, pay a good portion of the costs, the Cobo show will go on. If another manufacture goes bankrupt or is in trouble, you will be visiting Novi for your boat fix. I do not think Bass pro shops and Tracker go to any boat shows. They are the largest selling boats in the country.

There are some interesting trends and we are of course watching the Great Lakes Market. Turn key is the direction things are going. The marine business has always been behind the automotive for several reasons. Some of the larger custom manufactures are moving towards the first 2 years service and maint included. A client purchases a boat and the engine manufacture provides funding for the mechanical service. We have been working with a maint/detail operation that is expanding and paid for by the manufactures. They provide the cleaning and upkeep for the dealer at his shows for no cost and then for the buyer for 2 years. The employees are here on visas, do an outstanding job, the cost to the manufacture very little for the service. The dealer sells a boat with turn key service without the overhead and associated expense. Most folks get out of boating because of maintenance and changes in lifestyle. There are alot of exciting things happening in the business as a whole.

This post has been edited by Powerboat1: 20 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

#38 User is offline   Powerboat1 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostGGR340SD, on 20 February 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

No doubt the show is much smaller than it was 10 years ago or so. However, my family and I still enjoy going down there for an afternoon, in the cold month of February, to look around, take notes, compare features and generally start thinking about the upcoming season. Obviously, ultimately the point of the show is to sell boats/products. With the costs the vendor's incur, I hope they were successful and wish them the best of luck in this tough market!

In addition to any sales at the show, there are the post show sales...the sales that started at the show by planting the bug. I didn't buy my first cruiser at the show, but it sure got my wife thinking about what a great family activity it would be and it did eventually lead to a purchase.

I agree 100 percent. There is nothing like walking into a hall and smelling all that new fiberglass resin. I took my 3 year old son to his first boat show this year. It was a great day for me.

Back when I was young and better looking I met a guy who dropped out of Law School. He was taking 1 offshore boat to boat shows and selling it along with placing factory orders right at the show. No marina, no dealership. He was a great salesman, and helped a guy named Fountain build a business. The Law school drop out did very well too.

This post has been edited by Powerboat1: 20 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

#39 User is online   thos1971 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Belle Maer
  • Boat Type:2003 Maxum 3700 SY
  • Boat Name: Linebacker

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

I do not think Bass pro shops and Tracker go to any boat shows. They are the largest selling boats in the country.

There was a large Bass Pro Shops / Tracker Marine display at the Detroit show.

My link

#40 User is offline   Powerboat1 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

View Postthos1971, on 20 February 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

I do not think Bass pro shops and Tracker go to any boat shows. They are the largest selling boats in the country.

My link

Well thats great, I know they had pulled out for a few years.
I wonder what their cost was, or if they donated the space to get them back.

Having them is great for the families. I am glad to hear it.

#41 User is offline   Recovery Room 

• New Recruit

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

View Poststeeveau, on 20 February 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

I was at the show on day 3. A boat salesman buddy of mine claimed they had already sold more boats by day 3 than they did at the entire show last year.

That's great news!

Now putting your salesman friend aside. The normal schedule is to say that on Monday after the first weekend. And of course don't forget to slap some SOLD stickers on the boats. About the same time the standard association press release is issued about the attendance and members reporting more sales than last year. I think I have posted on the process before. It is all fun, and I hope it works out well. I have asked the same question for 4 years on this forum....who bought a new boat at the show?

The Detroit Shows during the 90's were probably the best, and yes they were selling boats. But of course times have changed.

Just FYI....I missed your question in 2009 but I bought a new 2008 Formula 27 PC at the Cobo boat show.

#42 User is offline   motrbotr 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: Livonia
  • Boat Type:1992 Sea Pro Centra Cuddy

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

I went this last Saturday with my girlfriend. Great time. Love looking at the new cruisers that I maybe will be able to afford in about ten or fifteen years. lol. Too many pontoons tho! Gosh. Met Rob at the booth. There was a lady with him there. Sorry i didnt get her name but both very nice to meet. Cant wait to get out on LSC this spring!!! Hoping for an early splash. Posted Image

#43 User is offline   Powerboat1 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostRecovery Room, on 20 February 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

I was at the show on day 3. A boat salesman buddy of mine claimed they had already sold more boats by day 3 than they did at the entire show last year.

That's great news!

Now putting your salesman friend aside. The normal schedule is to say that on Monday after the first weekend. And of course don't forget to slap some SOLD stickers on the boats. About the same time the standard association press release is issued about the attendance and members reporting more sales than last year. I think I have posted on the process before. It is all fun, and I hope it works out well. I have asked the same question for 4 years on this forum....who bought a new boat at the show?

The Detroit Shows during the 90's were probably the best, and yes they were selling boats. But of course times have changed.

Just FYI....I missed your question in 2009 but I bought a new 2008 Formula 27 PC at the Cobo boat show.

2008 Formula.....that was a good run. What engines did you get? How do you like it? Is she better handling smooth or rough water at top end. I remember we were looking at that hull for a military project using advanced composites.

#44 User is offline   Recovery Room 

• New Recruit

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostPowerboat1, on 20 February 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostRecovery Room, on 20 February 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

That's great news!

2008 Formula.....that was a good run. What engines did you get? How do you like it? Is she better handling smooth or rough water at top end. I remember we were looking at that hull for a military project using advanced composites.

It has twin 350 merc's with bravo 3 drives. I love it, not sure I will ever own anything but a Formula after having this boat. In my opinion, it quite honestly handles well in anything I have dealt with on LSC or Erie. I'd give an edge to running in smoother water. But I have no complaints.

#45 User is offline   fitsus 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Beacon Cove
  • Boat Type:34 Sea Ray
  • Boat Name: NO Name

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

View Postthos1971, on 20 February 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

My link

Apparently they can afford them Union costs.
^Find the Cure^
CANCER SUCKS

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost!"
-- Ronald Reagan, Labor Day 1980

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.