Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Macomb County Sheriff - Marine Division

5K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Convincor 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Macomb County Sheriff's Office Marine Division is now on Facebook. Please visit and "like" our page: Macomb County Sheriff Marine Division.

The Marine Division has always strived to play an active role in the Lake St. Clair community and we plan on using our Facebook page as a place to distribute information that is both specific to our division and to the boating community as a whole.

Whether it is winter or summer, from the Nautical Mile to Anchor Bay, we are here to keep the water safe for everyone and we welcome your posts and comments.

#8 ·
Macomb County Sheriff's Office Marine Division is now on Facebook. Please visit and "like" our page: Macomb County Sheriff Marine Dvision.

The Marine Division has always strived to play an active role in the Lake St. Clair community and we plan on using our Facebook page as a place to distribute information that is both specific to our division and to the boating community as a whole.

Whether it is winter or summer, from the Metro Beach to Clinton River, and twice a year at Gull Island., we are here to keep the water safe for everyone and we welcome your posts and comments.
There, I edited your post for you so it was a little more truthful.

#9 ·
Hey now! Don't be messing with the Sheriff. They all do a great job. I have nothing against them,,,,, except the one woman officer (St. Clair Marine Division) that wrote me that ticket on my PWC all those years ago. It was bogus and I didn't deserve it. Whatever, I am sure she is off the force by now. Ok. I digress.

Still "like" Macomb County Sheriff. Keep on Rocking!

#10 ·
I never said I didn't like them, I just think that they need to be a little more proactive. In the last two years, I called them to stop two vessels that acted in a reckless manor endangering lives and was told they couldn't do anything about it cause they were busy. Yea, busy getting there safety checks in front of metro.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, we'll take the critical feedback and appreciate the welcomes. I can assure you that with nearly 3,000 hours logged on the lake last season, we do venture out further than Campau and Lanse Creuse Bay (that could grow boring).

We do respond to every call and try to investigate all complaints but we do have to prioritize our runs. I can assure you that a safety inspection is low on the list of priorities so I hope that really wasn't the reason we couldn't come and look for the reckless operators that only1Adrian referred to.

We had 293 calls documented through the Sheriff's Office dispatch last year (not all calls generate a complaint number through dispatch). Of those 293, the top three types of calls we had were: Search and Rescues (47), Wake Violation complaints (41) and Removal of Navigation Hazards (31). Safety Inspections did take fourth place in the stats and was followed by Boater Assists and Registration violations.

Hopefully this gives a little insight into what we do. If ever you feel that your complaint goes ignored, feel free to call the Marine Division and let me know.

Sgt. Matt Pecha/586-469-5803

#17 ·
Do you have any statistics on violations that were issued? If you are welcoming constructive criticism, let me offer you my two cents. 50% of the boaters on Lake St Clair during the weekend do not know the rules of the water. Who is going to teach them? It's funny that i had to take a written/driving test for a motorcycle and for my CDL after i had already took a test to drive a car, But anyone can buy a boat drop her in, and head to the Moot. Since these are the rules, I would like to see the sheriff enforce these rules. If you see a vessel not give way when they are supposed to give way, I would want that vessel pulled over and become educated. I don't think everyone needs to get a ticket, put i think the just being out there and active, the rules will start being obeyed. I have yet to ever drive on lake st clair and see a sheriff boat in the middle of the lake with binoculars seeing who is obeying the law. I have however seen you religiously every weekend in front of metro, in front of the clinton river. I also see you outside of poorman's, That's about the only time your binoculars are out.
What are you looking for? were all anchored. As for the call statistics, I was not one of them last year cause I was on a Boat, I hailed you on channel 16. Then after I was told there was not an officer available, 20 minutes later. Here comes the sheriff driving out the Black creek.

The fact is, I appreciate what you guys do for us. I will also thank you for your service. I also do believe that there is not enough enforcement to help you out, but your job is to keep our waters safe. Are They? I know that a lot of people feel the same way I do, I have had multiple discussions through out the years. Heck you can even search our forums and see how people feel the same as me. Its funny that as soon as the sheriff is on board, they stop talking and instead give you the thumbs up.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Actually, I am really gald that MCS-MD is on LSCN like they are now. This is a great way to connect with you guys and give some input and hopefully some feedback.

I would like to raise attention to the dozens and dozens of violators making illegal manuevers and quite simply put, "pissing me off EVERY weekend". The most interesting part of this story is these violators are treading water not more than 200 feet from your base. At the mouth of the Clinton River.

Boaters that are doing the following:

waking within the no wake zone.

boats drifting within channel markers in the way of traffic in and out.

And, the ever so popular manuever that gets my blood boiling---cutting through the channel markers on plane (north and south) directions well within a boat length from other idleing boats!

I would like a response about these violations and what can be done about. I don't want to make a call about someone like this that may be half way across the lake by time there could be a response. But, the mouth of the Clinton River especially on a hot summer Saturday can be OUT OF CONTROL as I am sure you already know.

I have taken pictures of these boaters before. Have never acted and submitted. Of course I have never known if you would be able to do anything about it or not after the fact. Your thoughts and comments please.

#21 ·
It would be interesting to see a Sheriff idling between the Clinton River and the Middle Channel watching folks. Kinda of like how the State boys park in the medians on the highways.

#22 ·
That is what I was thinking. I normally would be against this kind of stuff but the lake has just gotten crazy last year. There is nothing that makes me more mad then when someone breaks a law runs with feet of me and then flips me off cause i happen to be in his way

Out of curiosity, Does the MCSMD allow "ride alongs" like the city PD does? Ive been wanting to see how the Fountain runs. I will even donate to the gas tank

#24 ·
I think it's great that MCS-MD is on here as well!! And I certainly respect that you are willing to accept criticizm, but I hope this thread doesn't turn into a complaint-fest.

I too have been out on the water many times and been a victim of careless/reckless driving of another boater, and usually I just shrug it off and say 'they'll get pulled over sooner or later' (hopefully before something tragic happens)

Now with a car on the road, if you are a careless driver, and rack up any number of violations you can be required to go to traffic school... what if a similar approach was applied to the water? mandatory boating safety class on first warning?

Oh, and my one last request.... wave back when someone gives you a friendly wave
(some do, others don't)

have a great day!

#25 ·
1st...I have to agree with most of the posters on this thread. 2nd...welcome MCS-MD it takes a lot of guts and courage to come on this sight and hear what people have to say...almost as much as it takes for you to get out on the lake and patrol it. One thing people don't realize is...it's impossible to be in about 1000 places at the same time. You (MCS-MD) more than anybody else understand that. Since people seem to be airing complaints on this thread...here's mine. What the heck are people in such a hurry for on a boat anyway??? Nothing your doing or anyplace your going is of any critical importance. Slow down, it doesn't take that much to give way...even if you have the right a way. This is EVERYONES lake to share!!! Powerboats, sailboats, fisherboats (pc). Do we want or need increased laws. There are plenty of them out there now. They don't just need to be enforced but obeyed too. Lets all try to keep in mind how fortunate we are just to be out there. Share the lake...it seems like it's big enough that it shouldn't be that hard to do. My .02 cents.

#26 ·
Thanks again for the comments - good, bad or indifferent. We realize that we can't keep everyone happy and also that we can't be everywhere at once. We've heard (if not said on our personal time) that "there is never a cop around when you need one." To some extent it is true but we do attempt to cover a large area during every patrol. And, if a member of the boating community isn't happy, its good for us to know so that we can adjust our patrols accordingly.

As far as seeing us at Metro Beach, the Clinton River and Poor Man's Beach - we patrol these areas because they are congested. There is the greatest risk of an accident and they generate a greater number of complaints because of the congestion. Its the same reason you'll often see us around the Nautical Mile, the Salt River, Brandenburg, etc. Meantime, we cover a large portion of the lake as we travel to and from these areas.

As far as Boater Safety Courses for violators, the New Baltimore court (which handles our tickets and arrests) does allow for a reduction in penalties if people succesfully complete a course (at the Judge's discretion). They can also order offenders to complete the course. In addition, when we stop a boat for a violation we'll often educate the boater about the violation and provide a handbook of boater laws and responsibilities in lieu of a ticket.

We'll be posting some enforcement (ticket) stats on our Facebook page, hopefully this week. Again, keep in mind that we can't please everyone - some people will complain we don't write enough tickets and some will complain that we write too many and ask, "don't you have anything better to do?" Its a delicate balance.

Lastly about waving: Its funny because our deputies that are assigned to the division during the summer months laugh during the fall because they're waving out of habit but from their patrol cars and only get a funny look in response ... We do a lot of waving on the boats!

That should cover most of the comments/questions on here. We'll keep reading this topic and others but check out our Facebook page for other updates.

#27 ·
My question that still remains is this.

If I witness a violator and take digital pictures of this person/boat. Can I submit them to MCS-MD? If so, what (if anything) will be done about the violator?

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
With all the red light cameras, I would think mounting a camera in the Clinton river channel and Metro channel with a deputy monitoring would be a great way to pay for patrols and increase safety.
Violation is witnessed, citation is mailed to the owner. Only takes the
Manpower of 1 deputy sitting in a air conditioned room, probably bring in 5,000 a day in fines. Word would travel fast.

#38 ·
Yes. I also thank you for being on here and answering these questions and concerns. I think you will find that most here on LSCN are fairly level headed and a just looking for the correct thing to do in these types of situations.

I believe you answered my question. I am sure the department does not want to be bombarded with claims and pictures of some guys fishing within a marked channel. However, if I were to file a complaint and or submit a picture of a violator it will be of extreme importance.

I believe the boater in the 25' whaler last season that crossed my stern within 30' on plane as I idled out the Clinton River should be fined and at least his hand slapped. He put my crew and my boat in danger. Not only by his wake, but coming that close is ignorant and extremely dangerous to all. If I ever capture that again it will be reported to the Sheriff's department.

Thanks again for your time on LSCN. I look forward to more information from you. Please try and understand some of our humor too. It can be crazy at times, but were all here to have a good time, and being safe at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.