The Lake St.Clair Network: Heading up in the thumb(ish) for some Bluegill. - The Lake St.Clair Network

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Heading up in the thumb(ish) for some Bluegill. Whats a good bluegill live bait?

#1 User is offline   John S 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Well, free weekend for this guy.

I'll be heading to my deer hunting grounds (a buddy's property) up in the thumb to ice fish his 20 acre pond. Always nice bluegill there in the summer so hopefully they're feisty in the winter. The pond's topography is simple, only 3 major holes at 12 feet and the rest is shallow so I'll fish the deeper holes. My other buddy (msuguy09) is coming with me so if the ice is trash we'll do some small game hunting.

There aren't any bait shops around so I want to grab something down here before I go to enhance my odds. Whats the best overall panfish live-bait?

#2 User is offline   hunt-n-nut 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Grubs

#3 User is offline   Calico 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: trailer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Spikes last longer after each catch and work well. When u catch a keeper, use it's eye, even better.

#4 User is offline   John S 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the tips!

I ended up using spikes and caught a nice mess of gills and large mouth throughout the day. Its a 20 acre pond and only 50'x50' was ice. the rest was open water.

I didn't keep any gills, they all had that black spot parasite on them. I know they are safe but I guess something about the visible presence of a parasite that makes them less appetizing. Fun fishing though, those large mouth were lively and one was a few feet from spooling out my line.

That's my last hardwater outing for the season. It wasn't what I expected but I did get my personal best perch this year so it was still good.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.