• You cannot reply to this topic

USCG Emergency Number

#1 User is offline   F1shEyes74 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Boat Type:2013 Lund Rebel Sport XL

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

After reading the recent story of the 4 people who were rescued by the USCG in LSC, and the report that they called USCG via cell - I realized that I dont have an emergency number for the Coast Guard in my phone. (I normally rely on my VHF radio for comm on the water).

What is the correct number to call for USCG assistance in an emergency, and/or tow situation? Also - is there a marine sheriff number that should be programed in my phone as well?

Thanks. RA

#2 User is offline   thebigpole 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

For emergencies, I would say that VHF should always be option #1. Numerous marine agencies (and other boaters) monitor those frequencies and you'll get a quicker response. After that, try the USCG Joint Rescue Coordination Center: 800-321-4400.

#3 User is offline   MCSO Marine Division 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: Clinton River
  • Boat Type:Patrol Fleet
  • Boat Name: PB

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Channel 16 on the VHF radio is your best bet. Not only will you be alerting authorities of your emergency but other boaters may be close and able to assist. It also helps ensure that all area patrol boats can simultaneously respond instead of notifying each other of the call.

Coast Guard Station - St Clair Shores: (586)778-3320
Macomb County Marine Division: (586)469-5803
St Clair County Sheriff: (810)794-5655
Wayne County Sheriff: (734)942-2222
Ontario PP Marine: (519)723-2491
Determined to keep your trust. Working to keep you safe.

Facebook: http://www.facebook....fMarineDivision
Sheriff's Office website:
www.macombsheriff.com
Marine Safety Officers' website: www.mcsomsd.org

#4 User is online   Molly Frair 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Velger Marina
  • Boat Type:84, 22', Bayliner, Trophy Hardtop
  • Boat Name: Molly Frair

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Is there a general word that you would use to call for help? Obviously "MayDay" is for an extreme emergency and even "Emergency Emergency" is to strong for engine problems.

I broke down one night and tried to call the coast guard on the radio and they didn't hear me. I called them on my cell and they told me to try the radio again. That time they heard me. But if the other stations were online at the time, would they have responded if I was calling the coast guard? If there was a word to use for help then I would imagine any station would have responded.

#5 User is offline   ColPepper 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM Well E183
  • Boat Type:1987 40' Silverton Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: Salt-n-Pepper III

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

You can also use the radio CH16 and just call them by their station name like "US Coast Guard Station St Clair Shores, US Coast Guard station St Clair Shore this is your boat name over".. Wait 30 seconds if they haven't responded do it again.. They will normally answer you when you call them this way.. Just like when your trying to call another boat using your radio..

This post has been edited by ColPepper: 25 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jim G 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Garage
  • Boat Type:2003 16.5 ft Princecraft Pro

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thank you very much.

View PostMCSO Marine Division, on 25 April 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Channel 16 on the VHF radio is your best bet. Not only will you be alerting authorities of your emergency but other boaters may be close and able to assist. It also helps ensure that all area patrol boats can simultaneously respond instead of notifying each other of the call.

#7 User is offline   ziado 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Boat Type:1986 16' Lund
  • Boat Name: Big Red Shine

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostMCSO Marine Division, on 25 April 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Great information. Thanks.
"I like catchin' walleye best of all"-Ziado
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

#8 User is online   KMC 

• LSCN Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: JBM
  • Boat Type:36' Carver Aft Cabin
  • Boat Name: hmmm... Kahlua Kove?

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostMolly Frair, on 25 April 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Is there a general word that you would use to call for help? Obviously "MayDay" is for an extreme emergency and even "Emergency Emergency" is to strong for engine problems.

I broke down one night and tried to call the coast guard on the radio and they didn't hear me. I called them on my cell and they told me to try the radio again. That time they heard me. But if the other stations were online at the time, would they have responded if I was calling the coast guard? If there was a word to use for help then I would imagine any station would have responded.

Depending on how desperate the situation is

Pan-pan ( from wiki )

"In radiotelephone communications, a call of three repetitions of pan-pan[1] (play /ˈpɑːn ˈpɑːn/)[2][3] is used to signify that there is an urgency on board a boat, ship, aircraft or other vehicle but that, for the time being at least, there is no immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself

The correct usage is "Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan", followed by the intended recipient of the message, either "All Stations, All Stations, All Stations" or a specific station, "US Coast Guard Station St Clair Shores, US Coast Guard station St Clair Shores US Coast Guard station St Clair Shores", the identification of the craft, its position, the nature of the problem and the type of assistance or advice required, if any."

If no one is responding, you could also just use the "Hello all stations, Hello all stations, Hello all stations, this is (boat name), description of problem (adrift in LSC, just east of xxx)", etc

#9 User is offline   F1shEyes74 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Boat Type:2013 Lund Rebel Sport XL

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thanks to all.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.