#1 User is offline   ibdeadeye 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Home Port: Algonac
  • Boat Type:Bayliner Capri1950
  • Boat Name: CK' N OUT

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

Can anyone tell me where Perch are being taken on or around Lake St Clair,US side? I have been out 3 times and haven't caught any. One more thing are White Bass good to eat? I have caught a couple nice ones but tossed them back in.

#2 User is online   Molly Frair 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Velger Marina
  • Boat Type:84, 22', Bayliner, Trophy Hardtop
  • Boat Name: Molly Frair

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

A report yesterday said they were out by the channel between the firecracker and the St Clair Light. I read on here that White Bass were good to eat fresh, not as good if you freeze them.

#3 User is offline   Bay De Noc 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: home
  • Boat Type:20 foot Alumacraft
  • Boat Name: Jorjas delight!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostMolly Frair, on 30 May 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

A report yesterday said they were out by the channel between the firecracker and the St Clair Light. I read on here that White Bass were good to eat fresh, not as good if you freeze them.

White Bass have a thick layer of fat beween thier skin and meat. If you leave that fat on the skin when you fillet they taste excellent!
"And that is all I have to say about that!"

#4 User is offline   walleyemaster 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: At home on trailer
  • Boat Type:2006 22' Bayliner 222EC
  • Boat Name: Blue Streak

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

While there isn't much strong action for perch this early in the season,the usual fall holes do produce somewhat if you can locate them. More than anything else, please remember the golden rule when perch fishing on LSC: You gotta keep moving!!! If you start to get bit and then after a short while you've gone 30 minutes or so without more than 1 or 2, you gotta pick up anchor and move around a little in that general area. Sometimes they do shutdown and then start up again, but it is more the exception than the norm.

Now, back to spots...the usual suspects are always worth checking out: in front of GPYC (Grosse Point Yacht Club - south of 8 mile look for the flag pole at the marina), at the St. Clair Light, along the buoys of the shipping channel (#25-29 always seem to hold fish just outside the deep water channel) and 2-3 miles due north of Bell River (Canadian side - south shore). If you have a CAN license, fishing anywhere due north of Belle River Humps is as guarranteed as you're going to get for perch in LSC.

Good luck and PLEASE post a report if you find 'em!

#5 User is offline   John S 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

I cant speak for the perch at the moment because I'm land-locked.

The white bass are good eating though if you take that fat off as Bay De Noc mentioned. I cut the fillets in strips (like fish sticks) and dip in egg then Italian bread crumbs and fry or bake. Best eaten fresh.

#6 User is offline   iggy 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: trailered
  • Boat Type:(oldd) 15 ft fiberglass run-a-bout
  • Boat Name: "IT BEATS WORKING"

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

One of my neighbors has been trolling the dumping grounds for eyes, and he said he cannot keep the yellow perch nor the white perch off his hooks. He's using a crawler harness with silver blades and getting some decent perch that he has been bringing home for dinner. Nothing real huge , but a few 10 to 10 1/2 inchers. He has not got any walleyes yet, but he tells me his friends got 'em in the dumping grounds.

#7 User is offline   ibdeadeye 

• Testing the waters
  • Pip
  • Home Port: Algonac
  • Boat Type:Bayliner Capri1950
  • Boat Name: CK' N OUT

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Thanks guys I will take your tips with me next time out and see what happens. Thanks again

#8 User is offline   jimmyfins 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I've been down Bass fishing off the GPYC the last three days, and have seen 4 to 5 boats pulling in perch. Anchored a stones throw from the sea wall of the club About 9 foot of water.

#9 User is offline   wolffisherman 

• LSCN Pirate
  • PipPipPip
  • Home Port: Garage
  • Boat Type:84 Mirrocraft 16'
  • Boat Name: River Rat

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Iggy pm sent

#10 User is offline   iggy 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

View Postwolffisherman, on 30 May 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Iggy pm sent

Reply sent back. Thanks.

#11 User is online   Molly Frair 

• LSCN Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Home Port: Velger Marina
  • Boat Type:84, 22', Bayliner, Trophy Hardtop
  • Boat Name: Molly Frair

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

View Postiggy, on 30 May 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

One of my neighbors has been trolling the dumping grounds for eyes, and he said he cannot keep the yellow perch nor the white perch off his hooks. He's using a crawler harness with silver blades and getting some decent perch that he has been bringing home for dinner. Nothing real huge , but a few 10 to 10 1/2 inchers. He has not got any walleyes yet, but he tells me his friends got 'em in the dumping grounds.

Hey Iggy, maybe that's what we should do. Go Walleye fishing and accidentally catch some Perch since we can't catch them on purpose.

#12 User is offline   iggy 

• LSCN Groupie
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostMolly Frair, on 31 May 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

View Postiggy, on 30 May 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Hey Iggy, maybe that's what we should do. Go Walleye fishing and accidentally catch some Perch since we can't catch them on purpose.

LOL That's probably what we need to do. But with our luck Ron, we will go out there walleye fishing and get nothing but those darn muskies!!! lol

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Lake St. Clair Network is a local social network for Lake St.Clair and surrounding waterways such as Detroit River, Clinton River, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.
We are the #1 source for Lake St.Clair Fishing Reports, Ice Fishing, Lake St. Clair News, Lake St.Clair Boating, Michigan Fishing and Michigan Hunting.