Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Walleye hotspots

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dario 
#1 ·
Need help with finding somw good walleye hotspots from a pier or shore?

#2 ·
Never tried it myself on the Detroit River, but there were reports on here in the past that anywhere you can fish in the river off shore is good. Elizebeth park area, cobo hall area, Belle Isle, etc. A better bet is the St Clair River areas around Alganac (public boardwalk), by the Blue Water bridge, any public access on the river. I think it would probably be better fishing right now on the St Clair river rather than DR. And a lot safer too. ALSO might want to try in the North channel around Decker's landing and Lega's bar area (pearl beach area). Good luck and welcome to the site.

#4 ·
If you go up to Port Huron be ready for a very strong current. The way the locals fish up there takes a very meaty rod. You need to use a minimum of a 4oz triangle sinker other wise you'll just get swept down river until you snag or end up back against the wall. What they do (lengths of leaders depends on who you talk to) put a large swivel on then attach your sinker with up to a 36" leader. Cast it out let settle, reel in extra line and get line taught. Now take either a crawler harness or a minnow bait (you will have to experiment a bit to get leader length right) on the opposite end from your baits leader attach a swivel snap. Open snap put on about a 1/2oz sinker and now clip on main line and close snap. Now release into water. The swivel snap with sinker slides down main line and is stopped by large swivel. Than its just sit back and watch your poles.

#5 ·
If you go up to Port Huron be ready for a very strong current. The way the locals fish up there takes a very meaty rod. You need to use a minimum of a 4oz triangle sinker other wise you'll just get swept down river until you snag or end up back against the wall. What they do (lengths of leaders depends on who you talk to) put a large swivel on then attach your sinker with up to a 36" leader. Cast it out let settle, reel in extra line and get line taught. Now take either a crawler harness or a minnow bait (you will have to experiment a bit to get leader length right) on the opposite end from your baits leader attach a swivel snap. Open snap put on about a 1/2oz sinker and now clip on main line and close snap. Now release into water. The swivel snap with sinker slides down main line and is stopped by large swivel. Than its just sit back and watch your poles.

#6 ·
go to the rock piles in marine city. It is posted property but people fish there all of the time. If you do please pick up garbage this is why, if they ever do ever complain it is because the trash left behind. You can park at the marine city boat ramp off to the side closest to the rock piles. There is a trail with boards to cross the fence and get over the river. You will see the path and that people fish this all of the time. I used to take this way now am in a damn wheel chair so I have to come in a different way on my golf cart, anyway. My buddy used to fish this nearly every night and do very well. His dad has a 11 and 9 pounder mounted from out there. My buddy has also caught a 42 inch musky and 38 inch pike out of there. Your best bet is to go late from 10-2 and stay tight to the belle river or there is an old ship reck right when you get in the piles 2 ft of water cast bobmbers you will lose a few lures but you will catch fish good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.