Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today was a bad day. We got out at about 8:45 and ran to the 400 Club. We caught a few dinks in 10-12 feet of water, with scattered weeds. We then moved to the Wreck, where we also caught a dink or two. After that, we moved to Metrobeach, and caught nothing. The water at Metro was a lot clearer than any other part of the lake, though.

Water Clarity: Minimal to none (most parts of the lake were a brown color)
Wind: 10-15 growing to 20-25Mph from the West
Waves: around 1 foot. Growing to 2-4 feet depending on where you were on the lake.

The only somewhat clear water we found was near the 400 Club and Metrobeach. There was also some clearer water around the DNR ramp close to the bay.

·
Registered
172 Posts
thanks for the report, went out to burn off the rest of the fuel in my buddy's hot rod about 1:30 sunday afternoon. pretty cold and windy and didn't see any pech boats out. thisweather is messing stuff up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think your right Spudman: When everyone starting releasing Musky and Bass the down fall of the Perch population started. It just makes sence when you have that many preditors.
(Cant wait for all the Musky-Bass guys to tell use were nuts.)
When I started fishing some 40 years ago Perch fishing was easy. (It was acually the last specias people fished for.) All you needed to do was, 1- Drive boat out into the lake (Any location) 2- Drop ancor, 3- You caught all the Perch you wanted. Yes I realize the Lake has changed with the Zebra's, but.
OK Musky-Bass guys, start pilling on!
Tight Lines.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE(Nick @ Oct 13 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think your right Spudman: When everyone starting releasing Musky and Bass the down fall of the Perch population started. It just makes sence when you have that many preditors.
When I started fishing some 40 years ago Perch fishing was easy. (It was acually the last specias people fished for.) All you needed to do was, 1- Drive boat out into the lake (Any location) 2- Drop ancor, 3- You caught all the Perch you wanted. Yes I realize the Lake has changed with the Zebra's, but.
Tight Lines.
Before you pile it on the musky and bass guys don't forget about the 50 fish limit. It's a combo of things imo #1 years of over harvest #2 weather "during the spawn" and last but NOT least the overabundent population of huge musky and bass!
You can't point your finger at just one thing!

·
Registered
735 Posts
QUOTE(Freek @ Oct 13 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nick @ Oct 13 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think your right Spudman: When everyone starting releasing Musky and Bass the down fall of the Perch population started. It just makes sence when you have that many preditors.
Tight Lines.
Before you pile it on the musky and bass guys don't forget about the 50 fish limit. It's a combo of things imo #1 years of over harvest #2 weather "during the spawn" and last but NOT least the overabundent population of huge musky and bass!
You can't point your finger at just one thing!

the perch are obviously NOT gone, this has been a pretty great year for them for the guys who know where to fish (not me
)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
ive caught a fair amount, many meals worth!!!!! i agree the 50 limit has more of an impact.

"if" muski's ate perch which im sure they might eat a few but, i dont think they'd eat 50 a day.

i think some organization did a study of what consisted in a muski's diet, perch and walleyes were not the main course. im not sure exactly what it was. someone might know.

btw, im not a muski/bass guy, perch n eyes like yourself.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Top predators will always eat what is available to them, cormorants have also added to the perch numbers in the past, but who hasnt seen people with buckets of little fish and dead lil perch on the ice, it all adds up, but I think you might do better down by the yacht club this time of year, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Maybe this will shut everyone up.

http://afsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1577/154...NW%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Yes, muskie eat the $hit out of perch. Perch also hump the $hit out of each other, thus, the population is still fine. Read the 2008 survey... both 2007 and 2008 were strong year classs for perch. As long as people dont keep small fish (7 inches or less in my opinion) then we have strong perch fishing for the next couple of years. so....YES MUSKIE EAT ALOT OF PERCH, AND YES THE PERCH FISHERY IS STILL FINE. Now shut up and fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.