Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
After work I thought I would give the clinton river a try to see if any fish are starting to come in to spawn. I tried a few spots close to where I parked. I then worked my way downstream and saw a somewhat deep hole. After a few casts bam fish on. I knew I had a trout on cause she sure was jumping. I measured her at 14" and caught her on a 1 3/8" bass pro mico light mini crank in the chrome black.

Jaw Fishing net Fisherman Seafood Fish

Glasses Sleeve Active shorts Fish Staple food

Attachments

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(s-man1984 @ Oct 14 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Closer to Yates or the lake? I'm thinking about hitting a few spots this week; good to know there's a little action out there in the Clinton. Get those pictures up and keep us local river guys posted!!

I actually caught it closer to yates. If you know of some deep holes near the lake I wouldn't rule out trying those spots.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Oct 13 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After work I thought I would give the clinton river a try to see if any fish are starting to come in to spawn. I tried a few spots close to where I parked. I then worked my way downstream and saw a somewhat deep hole. After a few casts bam fish on. I knew I had a trout on cause she sure was jumping. I measured her at 14" and caught her on a 1 3/8" bass pro mico light mini crank in the chrome black.

View attachment 67785
View attachment 67786

Excellant! Nice looking steelie for sure. Hopefully more will be moving in soon! B)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(fishhunter_07 @ Oct 14 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>was it clipped??

I didn't see any signs of it being clipped.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
They stock them in there every summer and I would bet that fish has grown up all summer and has not left for the lake yet. Also I am thinking the minimum size is 15" although I may be wrong so you may want to consult the trout regs. WTG on the catch, they are fun on light tackle aren't they?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(i want to catch fish @ Oct 14 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it looks like a resadient skipper
nice catch

was going to say the same, looks like a rainbow there the same fish only difference rainbows never leave the river. notice the colors on your fish, they turn all silver out in the lake(hence the steelhead nickname). i dont know why (id imagine camoflage seeing they all turn silver)but i know thats the difference in rainbow and steelhead. nice fish eitherway

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Oct 14 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They stock them in there every summer and I would bet that fish has grown up all summer and has not left for the lake yet. Also I am thinking the minimum size is 15" although I may be wrong so you may want to consult the trout regs. WTG on the catch, they are fun on light tackle aren't they?

10'' on clinton river is a type 4 stream/river type 3 are 15''

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(tinmn @ Oct 14 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you talkin up by yates cider mill. We were there last weekend and the water was realy clear, we fished for a little while and didnt see or catch any thing. If you did, what type of lures do you use?

I was about 2-3 miles downstream from yates. I tried a few different spots where I wasnt able to see the bottom. I attached a picture of what I caught it on. I used the chrome/black color.
Liquid Art Recreation Event Macro photography

Attachments

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Oct 14 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They stock them in there every summer and I would bet that fish has grown up all summer and has not left for the lake yet. Also I am thinking the minimum size is 15" although I may be wrong so you may want to consult the trout regs. WTG on the catch, they are fun on light tackle aren't they?

I was thinking the same thing about it being one of the stocked fish. I'm pretty sure that the minimum size is 10". Trout have so many different rules that sometimes its hard to keep track of them all. And it was a blast to catch on my 4ft 8 ugly stick in light action with a 4lb test. If the fish was 16-18" i would of been screwed for sure and not able to bring it in.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Oct 15 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(little guy @ Oct 14 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They stock them in there every summer and I would bet that fish has grown up all summer and has not left for the lake yet. Also I am thinking the minimum size is 15" although I may be wrong so you may want to consult the trout regs. WTG on the catch, they are fun on light tackle aren't they?

I was thinking the same thing about it being one of the stocked fish. I'm pretty sure that the minimum size is 10". Trout have so many different rules that sometimes its hard to keep track of them all. And it was a blast to catch on my 4ft 8 ugly stick in light action with a 4lb test. If the fish was 16-18" i would of been screwed for sure and not able to bring it in.

yes all of the clinton river from yates to lsc is classified as type 4 river/stream so 10'' is the minimum your fish well over legal for a type 4 river. if it was stocked should of had one of the fins clipped but it could be a natural seeing the clinton does have viable gravel beds for spawning. ive also heard canada doesnt fin clip but the clinton river is a long ways fron any of the canadian planting sites.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.