Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the river from about 2:30-6. Tried one spot where I caught creek chubs and made about 5-10 casts without a hit. Moved about 30 feet downstream and got a 10" brown on my first cast. Put on my waders and made my way farther downstream west of the bridge and saw a few trout and 1 carp. Couldn't get the trout to hit and caught a small creek chub. Went to my car to get my fly rod and try some flies. When I got back I saw 8 carp. Continued to work my way downstream and managed to hook into 3 more fish. An 7-8" creek chub, a 6" brown and what appeared to be a 9-11" brown but lost it when it jumped. All trout where caught on a small black/chrome crank bait and within 90' of each other in about 2-4' of water. I'll add a picture of the 10" brown when I figure out how to upload it from my cell phone.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Clinton rocks, one of my favorite neighborhood fishing spots! where you fish at there?

I was fishing between riverside park and riverwoods park in auburn hills. That's between auburn rd and m-59 and squirrel road. Since I caught one right away I fished that stretch of the river.

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Oct 28 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Clinton rocks, one of my favorite neighborhood fishing spots! where you fish at there?

I was fishing between riverside park and riverwoods park in auburn hills. That's between auburn rd and m-59 and squirrel road. Since I caught one right away I fished that stretch of the river.

never fished that far up, ive only been past Rochester about 10 river miles. Nice to know all parts are good!! u guys get steel up there?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Oct 28 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Clinton rocks, one of my favorite neighborhood fishing spots! where you fish at there?

never fished that far up, ive only been past Rochester about 10 river miles. Nice to know all parts are good!! u guys get steel up there?

I've only fished there a few times so by all means I'm no expert. From what I've heard you catch mostly browns and rainbows. As far as steelies I'm not sure but wouldn't rule them out.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit the river today myself only getting creek chubs. They were big ones 8-10 inches fighting like bass. I did see one small steelhead caught. a guy in waders. This was near yates.

Isn't it amazing how big some of those creek chubs get. When I was at the north branch of the clinton I had 2 large creek chubs chase my bait and ended up catching the 9" one. Later I caught the other one that was about 8". Ive also caught some big ones out of paint creek. I've had days where they would hit as soon as my bait would hit the surface. They can be fun to catch but when youre going for trout they can become a bit of a nusance.

·
Banned
187 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Oct 29 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit the river today myself only getting creek chubs. They were big ones 8-10 inches fighting like bass. I did see one small steelhead caught. a guy in waders. This was near yates.

Isn't it amazing how big some of those creek chubs get. When I was at the north branch of the clinton I had 2 large creek chubs chase my bait and ended up catching the 9" one. Later I caught the other one that was about 8". Ive also caught some big ones out of paint creek. I've had days where they would hit as soon as my bait would hit the surface. They can be fun to catch but when youre going for trout they can become a bit of a nusance.

Yeah I hear you on that!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Good report, looks like fun! Nice to hear you got into some trout in the main branch. Looks like there's some really good chubs there to be caught, too, judging from the posts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit the river today myself only getting creek chubs. They were big ones 8-10 inches fighting like bass. I did see one small steelhead caught. a guy in waders. This was near yates.

small steelhead? like how small?

Looked about 10"-12"

wasnt a steelhead, more than likely a rainbow trout. The steel head dont come back to the river untill they are sexually mature, usually 3-5 years. And by that time they are large. impossible to see a steel that small unless it is on release day, when the DNR releases the smolt.

·
Banned
187 Posts
QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 29 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit the river today myself only getting creek chubs. They were big ones 8-10 inches fighting like bass. I did see one small steelhead caught. a guy in waders. This was near yates.

Looked about 10"-12"

wasnt a steelhead, more than likely a rainbow trout. The steel head dont come back to the river untill they are sexually mature, usually 3-5 years. And by that time they are large. impossible to see a steel that small unless it is on release day, when the DNR releases the smolt.

That was just a guess maybe a little bigger. Maybe it was a rainbow trout. The guy said it was a steelhead. I don't get into fishing for them that much but it did look like one. Usually I get them around the 10lb range if I catch any. I though the same thing when he said that and I saw how small it was but he was seasoned and I took his word for it. Anyway good luck to you if you go out looking for them. Get a big one!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 29 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit the river today myself only getting creek chubs. They were big ones 8-10 inches fighting like bass. I did see one small steelhead caught. a guy in waders. This was near yates.

Looked about 10"-12"

Interesting thought, however all fish are not "rainbow trout" until they hit the big lake. Steelhead is a strain of rainbow trout that WILL spend part of its life in the lake. Just because the fish hasnt moved to the lake yet doesnt change its DNA!

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE(BCBpIV @ Oct 31 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 29 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 28 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scsfish @ Oct 28 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hit the river today myself only getting creek chubs. They were big ones 8-10 inches fighting like bass. I did see one small steelhead caught. a guy in waders. This was near yates.

Looked about 10"-12"

Interesting thought, however all fish are not "rainbow trout" until they hit the big lake. Steelhead is a strain of rainbow trout that WILL spend part of its life in the lake. Just because the fish hasnt moved to the lake yet doesnt change its DNA!

i dont get what yer trying to say here? rainbow trout and steel head ARE different. rainbow trout do not leave the river they were born in. Steelhead Head for open water at smolt size. and only return at maturity. UNLESS its a SKAMANIA these are steelhead that live in the river. all 3 are different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts