Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get caught in that out-of-no-where storm??? I couldn't see 5 feet in front of my 16 foot boat, trying to handle the 5 footers!!! They looked 5 feet at least! I don't have a compass so I completely lost sight of land and my bearings. And on top of it, I was reading a post before going on the lake about getting caught on the lake in storms where someone commented on how dumb someone would have to be to get caught in a storm and I was in total agreence. Thanks for the storm boating advice, it really might have saved my a$$

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I posted a warning about that cell in the thread that walleyesteve made about an open seat at crocker at 6:30. That was a doozy of a storm. They are probably fishing by now, but were surely delayed (or crazy).

·
Registered
297 Posts
I almost got caught in it too. i was on my way out the door when a friend of mine working in grosse point farms told me it was pouring hard and sure enough after looking at the sky for a few minutes I could see it slowly making its way towards me. Hope everyone made it out safe that got caught

·
Registered
958 Posts
We got off the lake when that big cell showed up on the horizon. Scooted from the north end of anchor back to the selfridge launch before it hit. Trailered the boat and then hung out at anchor point until it passed. That looked like nothin to play with so we made sure to get out of the way. Water looked horrible while it was moving across the lake.

I'm glad to see you made it back!

·
Registered
8 Posts
We were out fishing the shipping channel between markers 25/27 and heard the thunder. Next thing I know my VHF radio weather alert went off and we headed for Browns for lunch. Just got in the boatwell and all hell broke loose.

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Aug 11 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We got off the lake when that big cell showed up on the horizon. Scooted from the north end of anchor back to the selfridge launch before it hit. Trailered the boat and then hung out at anchor point until it passed. That looked like nothin to play with so we made sure to get out of the way. Water looked horrible while it was moving across the lake.

I'm glad to see you made it back!

They didn't believe me when I said I heard thunder. I seen the clouds, smelt the rain and then heard it far away. Next thing ya know its louder and almost right on top of us. Needless to say I already had my lines up and tackle packed ready to go because I knew it was coming and we just got to the docks when it started to rain. I'm glad we got out just in time.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Glad you made it in OK.

10% chance... well, people buy lottery tickets. 10% is very good odds in comparison.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm glad you are ok. I've been caught in two storms in my boating life. My grandfather and I were caught on Saginaw bay in 8ft swells and 50+mph winds when I was a teenager. No GPS back then, but he did have that new LORAN system on his boat (the land based towers, similar to GPS, but using towers instead of satellites). We were in his aluminum 18ft starcraft. We made it in. We were lucky. Some others were not that day. We were all the way out to the shipping channel on the bay. Scary stuff. The other time was on Torch lake, you think a 2mile by 20 mile lake cant get rough? Yeah, it can.

These threads are the exact reason I am moving to a bigger boat. At least with a 25ft boat, or even 23 and deep hull, it has more of a chance than my low slung nitro.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I missed the AM storm that hit the bay and the afternoon storm I was caught in on the main lake. Atleast I got into the channels before it hit. I never heard a fishing rod buzz before but that was my signal to get out of there.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
By They Tami meant Jason and I. LOL. It was nip and tuck for a few minutes but the boat did its job and made port.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was out with troller11 and JQ this afternoon in the middle of the lake, we managed to skirt around the worst part. The rods started buzzing so we just hunkered down in the pilot house for awhile,got a little rain but not to bad.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There was so much electricity in the air that it causes the rods to make a buzzing sound. It happens when you are out in the open and there is an electrical storm very close to you. The only time I have ever had that happen to me, we put the rods away and got down into a ball as small as we could with only our feet touching the floor for about 10 minutes and then went back to fishing. Our lines were actually lifting up into the air and there was lightening hitting the water all around us. That, and the fact that we were in 4-6 footers all day is one of the reasons I don't fish tournaments anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE(anthony Sliwinski @ Aug 11 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone else get caught in that out-of-no-where storm??? I couldn't see 5 feet in front of my 16 foot boat, trying to handle the 5 footers!!! They looked 5 feet at least! I don't have a compass so I completely lost sight of land and my bearings. And on top of it, I was reading a post before going on the lake about getting caught on the lake in storms where someone commented on how dumb someone would have to be to get caught in a storm and I was in total agreence. Thanks for the storm boating advice, it really might have saved my a$$

We got caught out there also, we were in a 18 ft. Yar Craft.
We were anchored and decided to ride it out.
Left the rain gear at home because the weather man said no rain and sunny.
I learned my lesson the hard way. Never trust the weather man.

Fish On!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts