Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to trade for a Mossburg 300 with a magna ported slug barrel. I have never came across a magna ported slug barrel. Is it any good and is it any good for sooting skeet or trap( I have never done this so I dont know anything about it. sorry fellows. lol) any feedback would be great.

·
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Aug 13 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a chance to trade for a Mossburg 300 with a magna ported slug barrel. I have never came across a magna ported slug barrel. Is it any good and is it any good for sooting skeet or trap( I have never done this so I dont know anything about it. sorry fellows. lol) any feedback would be great.

Only good for killing large game. Shooting bird shot through it will damage the rifling and it will also pattern like shi! since the rifling will spin the shot out of the barrel. Killer lower Michigan deer gun but not a trap/skeet gun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. so trap and skeet you only use bird shot? benelli nova here i come. lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually I don't think mossberg makes a model 300...is it a model 500 maybe? And yes the "Porting" on that slug barrel is not Magna-porting which is a specific company/brand that Mossberg does not use...so while "Ported" it cannot correctly be described as "Magna-porting" unless of course someone sent a plain slug barrel to Magnaport and had them do it? THEN you'd say it was magna-ported...for the last several years Mossberg has been porting their slug barrels as standard equipment on most models.....for Clays and upland hunting you want a 28" field barrel with choke tubes.....

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Knot right @ Aug 13 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Actually I don't think mossberg makes a model 300...is it a model 500 maybe? And yes the "Porting" on that slug barrel is not Magna-porting which is a specific company/brand that Mossberg does not use...so while "Ported" it cannot correctly be described as "Magna-porting" unless of course someone sent a plain slug barrel to Magnaport and had them do it? THEN you'd say it was magna-ported...for the last several years Mossberg has been porting their slug barrels as standard equipment on most models.....for Clays and upland hunting you want a 28" field barrel with choke tubes.....

Good catch, I totally missed that, I have the crappy 500, and the upland 500 love them both.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK SO THE GUY DONT KNOW ABOUT GUNS.(I GUESS I DONT EITHER LOL) is the mosburg 500 a desent gun other than home protection( I have that
) ?

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
It is a decent gun for the price. There has to be a reason the US Military has used them for years. They are a very reliable tool, just not marketed like the high $ ones. I had a wood stock 500, and sold it along with a few other guns and got me a Benelli M2. If I wouldn't have upgraded, I still would be shooting that one.

Funny story, I got that 500 when I moved into the first house I bought. I found it in a closet a few months after I moved in. I told everyone I knew, and even contacted the previous home owner, that if they could tell me the make model and gauge, they could have it. I put it in my Dad's safe to keep people from looking, and after the alloted time (1 year) nobody could answer correctly, so it became mine. I figure I did it the proper way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MOSSBERG 500 IS A VERY GOOD GUN IN MY OPINION. IF YOU DONT OR CANT SPEND THOUSANDS. I HAVE A BLACK POWDER BARREL THAT PLUGS INTO FRAME, WORKS GREAT.I HAVE THREE BARRELS FOR MINE AND IT WILL THROW A CURTAIN OF LEAD. WORKS FOR SMALL GAME AND ALSO BIG GAME. JUST MY OPINION.

MAGNA PORT IS BY I94 (HARRISON TWP) ACROSSED FROM SAY GIBRALTER TRADE CENTER, IN THAT AREA. GREAT COMPANY, GREAT WORK, JUST EXPENSIVE.

I DID SOME WORK FOR THEM IN THE 80S MAKING SOME SUPPOT FIXTURES FOR THEIR FIRE TESTING.

S.S. RUBE (MAI)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is why i love this site! thanks for all the info, Im getting a boat in the deal along with the mosburg so at least I know its not a s**ty gun coming with the boat. It bearly has any scraches on the slide( I think there were 3 ) He said he only put 4 slugs through since he bought it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(S.S. RUBE @ Aug 13 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>MOSSBERG 500 IS A VERY GOOD GUN IN MY OPINION. IF YOU DONT OR CANT SPEND THOUSANDS. I HAVE A BLACK POWDER BARREL THAT PLUGS INTO FRAME, WORKS GREAT.I HAVE THREE BARRELS FOR MINE AND IT WILL THROW A CURTAIN OF LEAD. WORKS FOR SMALL GAME AND ALSO BIG GAME. JUST MY OPINION.

MAGNA PORT IS BY I94 (HARRISON TWP) ACROSSED FROM SAY GIBRALTER TRADE CENTER, IN THAT AREA. GREAT COMPANY, GREAT WORK, JUST EXPENSIVE.

I DID SOME WORK FOR THEM IN THE 80S MAKING SOME SUPPOT FIXTURES FOR THEIR FIRE TESTING.

S.S. RUBE (MAI)
No kidding? You might have ported the old Super Redhawk I used to shoot comp with years ago

1 - 15 of 15 Posts