Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was out on the lake Saturday night there were alot of people needing help from the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard told a guy to dial *16 on his cell phone and that would connect him to the Coast Guard. If this works with all carriers, its good to know since alot of guys don't have a marine radio. Yet most have cell phones these days.
Ron...

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
last time i was checked the coast guard gave me there direct number that way you dont have to go through the channels to get to them i have it wrote down in my boat if interested i will get it and post it on here

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
the number is 586-778-3320 i googled it and it is the right number so please dont everyone call to see if it is i am sure they wouldnt like that as they are busy

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Sep 15 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the number is 586-778-3320 i googled it and it is the right number so please dont everyone call to see if it is i am sure they wouldnt like that as they are busy

Yes, USCG Station St. Clair Shores Search and Rescue number is 586-778-3320. Store it in your cell phone if you want but their main line of communication is the VHF Radio. Hail them on channel 16 ONLY for Emergencies. Cell phones are not as reliable on the water. And please remember, the Watchstander is juggling several microphones controlling traffic on several radios at the same time. Please don't burden him/her with a cell phone unless he/she directs you to. Also, other agencies monitor your emergency traffic on channel 16 and may assist you. This is tough to do on a cell phone.

Semper Paratus,

Zander Fillet

·
Registered
526 Posts
Patman,
I believe if you have a gps unit that is capable, you can get a vhf for around 130 bucks with a 25 +- mile range, (on hipower), most newer gps units have it but cant remember the letters DSC maybe. here is a link to give ya an idea they start around $100.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/VHF-Radios-C17.aspx

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(patman24 @ Sep 15 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pardon my uninformedness. But can the Coast Guard really find one's coordinates from the signal of a VHF, and how much do they cost to get one?

They can, but its not something they would use for rescue. It takes time, I think they still have to triangulate the signal to find you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.