Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the water by 0800 Sunday morning with my father in law. The weather and lake were beautiful so we headed out about ~4 miles SE of Huron Point (based on other posts here). Picked up a 12" perch within 30 seconds and it was nonstop from there. We were fishing 4 lines and couldn't reset before getting a hit on another line. Only kept 6 or 7 perch and one walleye, but got a ton of smaller perch. Everything came on drifting crawler harnesses (hammered brass, gold, chartreuse, and white/green), 16-18 FOW. Fishing shut down when the wind changed around noon, so we headed to the St Clair light to join the 50 other boats...nothing going there. After an hour we headed back near our 1st spot and picked up a few more perch and a nice catfish on 4lb test (fun stuff). Almost got a pic of the cat but he jumped out of my father-in-law's hands and back into the water as I was taking it....which made it much easier to deny it ever happenning to my mother-in-law
. Props to my father in law for not letting him land in the boat...those suckers can stain carpets.

·
Registered
163 Posts
QUOTE(doubledown @ Jul 20 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the water by 0800 Sunday morning with my father in law. The weather and lake were beautiful so we headed out about ~4 miles SE of Huron Point (based on other posts here). Picked up a 12" perch within 30 seconds and it was nonstop from there. We were fishing 4 lines and couldn't reset before getting a hit on another line. Only kept 6 or 7 perch and one walleye, but got a ton of smaller perch. Everything came on drifting crawler harnesses (hammered brass, gold, chartreuse, and white/green), 16-18 FOW. Fishing shut down when the wind changed around noon, so we headed to the St Clair light to join the 50 other boats...nothing going there. After an hour we headed back near our 1st spot and picked up a few more perch and a nice catfish on 4lb test (fun stuff). Almost got a pic of the cat but he jumped out of my father-in-law's hands and back into the water as I was taking it....which made it much easier to deny it ever happenning to my mother-in-law
. Props to my father in law for not letting him land in the boat...those suckers can stain carpets.

Nice job. I fished the same area Sunday from about 2pm-7pm. 2-man walleye limit using 4 poles. However, we trolled at 1.5 mph (per gps) with kicker motor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(doubleJ @ Jul 20 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice job. I fished the same area Sunday from about 2pm-7pm. 2-man walleye limit using 4 poles. However, we trolled at 1.5 mph (per gps) with kicker motor.

We tried to run the trolling motor for a while. It was the first time I had used it on the boat and I realized how much I don't like it. It's older with short cables so I had to sit in the bow while my father in law manned the lines. That wasn't working out so I gave up, but on the upside I am now REQUIRED to buy a new trolling motor.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think that it is very important that you get this new trolling motor ASAP. I would probably be a good idea to take an afternoon (or even a whole day) off of work and hit the local fishing equipment establishments and get this chore taken care of.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(doubledown @ Jul 21 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(doubleJ @ Jul 20 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice job. I fished the same area Sunday from about 2pm-7pm. 2-man walleye limit using 4 poles. However, we trolled at 1.5 mph (per gps) with kicker motor.

We tried to run the trolling motor for a while. It was the first time I had used it on the boat and I realized how much I don't like it. It's older with short cables so I had to sit in the bow while my father in law manned the lines. That wasn't working out so I gave up, but on the upside I am now REQUIRED to buy a new trolling motor.

I have no experience in this whatsoever, however i know a couple companies have remote operated trolling motors. You can either wear it as a watch or even strap it to your rod. Seems like it would make life a lot easier, but like i said ive never actually used it. Just something id look into.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Minn Kota makes some...I think they work with the PowerDrive line.

Scuba, you are correct sir. Coincidently there is an offsite event planned for Wednesday afternoon...it is quite possible I may be REQUIRED to leave early.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts