Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
It sounds great. A guy calls and says he has a 1972 Impala 4 door hard top (very rare to have a hard top on a 4 door) that he would like to donate to the program. He sounded really really really old. He describes the car as solid and runs and drives but doesn't stop because it needs brakes which is why it was parked. The original air conditioning still works. It hasn't been started since 1991. Totally solid body, but the interior needs help because of the sun and such. I talked to the principle about it and he's in and pretty excited, and told me to go during my prep hour to check it out.

Then I went to look at it...

Yes, it has a solid body with little rust for how old the car is. It is all there and the trim is good. It has sunken into the ground to the frame though and has plants growing out of the carpet. The sealed beam headlights are solid, but have moss inside them. (how????) the whole car is covered with dark black mildewy dirt. We opened the hood and found a family of mice living on the intake manifold (top of the engine). It's like the car was parked under a tree and has just sat for 10 years. It still has whats left of the original bias ply tires.

Is it worth free?
It is really really rough due to the elements and animals, but it's solid still.
How much of a diamond is it? Can my students see through the dirt and mice and mildew and be willing to make it something interesting?

It can't really be a hot rod so much, but it would make an awesome low rider gangster type of car. My clientele is more into hot rods though.

what-d-ya think?

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Guess it depends on how much work you want to do. Seems like a virtual certainty that the floor pans are totally gone, all the steel lines are shot, etc.

Way cool if you get it done, but lots of work!

I should mention I have a `71 like that. Way back when it was my daily car. It's totally rusty now, and basically just an engine stand for a 400 small block.

View attachment 68036

View attachment 68037

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd be tempted to do it if for no other reason than to make the old guy feel that he made some sort of contribution to the kids.
The kids should see the challenge to make it a sweet ride.
I would guess that this is not something you expect the kids to finish off this school year. Almost sounds like it might roll into another or two, which would be even better.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(BigZ @ Oct 21 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd be tempted to do it if for no other reason than to make the old guy feel that he made some sort of contribution to the kids.

this guy is trying to get a pile of junk off his lot and get a tax writeoff at the same time

ever see the show "hoarders"???

hazy, got any pics?

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Don't forget, old stuff like Black Sabbath sounds better in a car like that!

I always enjoy seeing full size cars of that era next to "full size" cars of today. They're HUGE!

Feel sorry for kids today.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(gunner @ Oct 22 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just had to post My Baby. 1970 Charger R/T 440. This one is pretty sweet. I also have a 1968 Charger R/T being ReSto now. I like the 68 better, as far as styling. But the 68,69,70 are pretty much the same overall body style. Do you like it? Go Mopar
SWEET!

·
Registered
625 Posts
free car... teaching students about restoring a classic... why not? Given its not the most collectable car, but for students, think of the learning they'd get.... Just remind them that any donated car has to be destroyed after, so you wouldnt want to do it to a truely collectable car would ya?? But welding in floor boards, bending new brakelines, rebuilding all the brakes, flushing systems & makeing sure everything works, getting the a/c working again, rebuilding the carb or maybee going thru the entire motor, theres a ton to learn, plus wiring, cuz them mice'eees have to have chewed up all kinds of wires/vacuum lines... theres all kinds of stuff to learn for kids that havent done much of this sort of thing before... heck could have em remove the rear axles & all the suspension & clean up & paint all the parts correct factory color codes like the corvette nuts do.... Lol Wether its a 2 door chevelle or a 4 door impala, its pretty much all the same parts used, just different body panels... its still all learning for them.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Goose @ Oct 21 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BigZ @ Oct 21 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd be tempted to do it if for no other reason than to make the old guy feel that he made some sort of contribution to the kids.

this guy is trying to get a pile of junk off his lot and get a tax writeoff at the same time

ever see the show "hoarders"???

hazy, got any pics?

I have two 3x4 pics from when the car was parked, but they won't scan well.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Oct 22 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Oct 22 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't forget, old stuff like Black Sabbath sounds better in a car like that!

Especially from an in dash 8-track... (ka-chunk, ka-chunk)

8-tracks suck! To this day, there are still songs I half expect to fade out for a track change.

Hazy, try taking a digi-cam picture of those photos.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Take the car, let the kids clean it up, post it for sale on craigslist or ebay, sell it, put the money in a fund that you can use for your classroom (books, supplies,
t-shirts, pizza & pop)....I could think of 1000 good uses. Popular vehicle in the hood.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sad,

In discussions with the principle, the mice thing came up and that killed it. He re-assured me there will be another guy with an old car that he wants to get rid of. Liability and such were the reasons. He did make it past mildew though. I haven't talked to the guy yet. I still might work it out to get the car to a different location to clean it up a bit, and then get it to the school.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.