Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother & I have a cabin on the Canadian side, Mithchells Bay. Would love to hook up w/some smallies. Any help would be great! Where, When, What Color, Etc. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Post again as the dates get closer....things change daily out there.
Do you have a boat that can get you to the American side of the pond?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Ranger Welcome to the Saint Clair Network: This formula will work.

4lb. smoke fireline
1/16 or 1/8 oz. ball head jig tied direct
3 inch berkley Gulp or PowerGrub
colors of pearl and white, white, chartruese, pumpkin, shad.
find weedbeds and better yet belleriver area, and the bellriver hump should be full of smallies. Get there now before it's cleaned up. Also drift in 6-14 feet anchor when you hit one and work the area for 10-20 min. before moving be patience. over 6feet use the 1/8 oz jig. follow all these steps and you'll find it to be effective on smallies. Missing a step and the formula is void, but could still be effective.

Report how good it worked for you please.

When you cast out just before the jig hits the water click your spinning reel and that takes the slack out of the line and puts you in control from the get go. Practice that and you'll have it down in know time.
Reel as slow as possible to keep off the bottom. You'll get it down in no time.
With the FireLine you'll get instant hookset YOU WON'T HAVE TO SET, it sets automatic.

h2o<---says enjoy and report back

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi ya Ranger. Since your staying in the Mitchells Bay area give the sandbar area off the indian reserve a try. If you have a map of StClair it`s easy to spot. The area is vast so you`ll have alot of water to fish. Fish with tubes, grubs, spinner baits and cranks and you`ll connect. Just be careful of the Walpole border as you need a special permit to fish in that area. Another area to try near Mitchells is the XE2 marker bouy area south of Mitchells Bay. Same tactics will work there too. Don`t be surprised to pop a nice Musky or Pike there as well. Good luck, welcome to the site and make sure to post your results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I'll give your tricks a whirl and let you know how we did. I do have a boat to get to the US side, it's a 391 Ranger w/2oo on back; hope i don't get too beat up. once i get past the sandbar at Indian Res. can i open it up to the US side, or are there other bars hidden out there? I've got a map too so i see the Indian ground and i see xe2 also. Again thanks for the help! Any more would be great. If anybody gets to Indaina let me know, might be able to help you out w/some largemouths.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Once you're by the Indian Sand Bars it's clean and green to the U.S. side. don't hit any freighters in the shipping channel though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts