Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time on a plane next week (I know get a life)

The plane ride won't bother me, but the not knowing what to expect at the airport does.

Was talking to some friends and a tip came across, to only pack a carry on bag. This will speed you through the airport.

Seems reasonable...

What are some other good travel tips/advice?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
As for the airport, get there 90mins early. Its your 1st time, and you need to enjoy it. And have your drivers license at the ready. You're gonna get asked for it alot. Just go to where they tell you, and follow the sign s where you have to.

Ohyeah, beers at the airport are like $8.00!!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
your first time on a plane Gary??? WOW - you're gonna LOVE take off!!!

up, up, & aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy

anyways, when you walk in you have to go to the counter for your airline and check in - then they'll give you a boarding pass there. You'll then have to go past security - sometimes they profile peeps and pick certain individuals for no reason to step aside and take off their socks and shoes and pance (just kidding about the pance part! LOL) they'll pat you down and go through your carry on luggage (don't have anything sharp in there - not even razors) then you're on your way. You'll walk down the concours to get you to your gate, then check in at the counter there and wait to board the plane. It'll be easy to figure out once you're in there

good luck and have a safe flight - and if you get a little scared when turbulence hits (that's when you hit air pockets and the plane will jump around a bit) it's okay and totally normal.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Depending on what airline you use, you can print out your boarding pass online. It will save you some time at the airport.

There is a website that tells you all the do's and don'ts of flying. If I find it, I'll post it.

G

·
QUOTE(Shandog @ May 7 2004, 09:05 PM)anyways, when you walk in you have to go to the counter for your airline and check in - then they'll give you a boarding pass there. You'll then have to go past security - sometimes they profile peeps and pick certain individuals for no reason to step aside and take off their socks and shoes and pance (just kidding about the pance part! LOL) they'll pat you down and go through your carry on luggage (don't have anything sharp in there - not even razors) then you're on your way. You'll walk down the concours to get you to your gate, then check in at the counter there and wait to board the plane. It'll be easy to figure out once you're in there

I agree with Shanny on that.

I always take everything out of my pockets. Everything. even my wallet, and put it in my carry-on. Have nothing metal on you. I just walk through everytime.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
As you know I just flew for the first time in March. Oh boy.....

I don't have any tips for you on the airport, just on the plane remember to breath.

Have fun, and congratulations again, Gary, we are happy for you!

P.S.....Are they hiring?

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOOD tips everyone thanks!

Yes first time....I'm a flight virgin!
I have to drop my pance
I'll be on the news..and I'll say The Shandog said I have to....

Drove where we needed to get through. But the thought of getting on a plane and being somewhere instantly...is awesome!

What about carryons???? should I stuff everything in a carry on to avoid the luggage lines???

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
From my one experience I would say yes.

Also, printing out your boarding pass from your computer before you go to the airport is a big plus!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
...just don't wear underwear with metal Calvin Klein emblems and you'll be fine

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
no - i think you need to get the FULL airport experience Gary. Carry on's are convenient - but like I said before you have to be careful what you pack in those bags because at the security checkpoint if they see something they feel may be used as a weapon they take it away right there which is a bummer.

the lines aren't that bad waiting for luggage and when you get off the plane just follow the herd of peeps going to get their luggage too.

Finally, if you get a little anxious or nervous think of this: my daughter Danielle flies out to St. Loius at least four times a year BY HERSELF to visit her daddy and her step family and she's only 9 years old - she's been doing this since she was 6 - if SHE can do this - you can too!!!

enjoy the experience

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Beware of what you have in your carryon. No razors or nail clippers/files. Put them in your checked bag. If you dont check a bag, dont bring them, just buy disposables when you get to your destination.

Wear tennis shoes. You typically dont have to remove tennis shoes to go through the metal detector.

Have your ID ready at all times.

Remove your laptop from your carry on before getting to the xray machine.

Take everything out of your pockets and possibly remove your belt before going through the metal detector. (i put everything in my breifcase while in line to get to security.

Yes print your boarding pass at home....easy to do.

Thats all I can think of right now...

Oh yea, you dont have to be there 90 mins prior to your flight, on hour will work.

Mini

·
Registered
666 Posts
Tennis shoes, or shoes that you know don't have a metal shank in them. Also be watch for belts with large buckles on them. The rest is pretty easy.

Don't put your carryon stuff in rows behind yours. If you do you will have to wait till everyone gets off to get back to it.

I like the electronic machines to check in at the airport. You can see what seats are open, and change to a seat that doesn't have someone next to you.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the deal...

Northwest.

i'm just bringing a carryon!

Playing it all safe....thanks for the tips everyone..

Gonna go try and print it out now...

Stay safe and see ya in a few!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Enjoy, the new terminal is one of the nicest that I have been in.

If the lines are long at the main security area, go upstair to the check-in coutners. There are two more security areas up there that typically have a shorter line than downstairs.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success!!!
I'm diggin this stuff....Up Up and awaaay.

BnF

I just printed out my boarding pass will I have to still go upstairs????

·
Registered
666 Posts
Only if the lines are long at securty down stairs. Most people just don't know that they have two more securty screening areas upstairs. If you are leaving tonight or early tomorrow there should be no problems at the main area.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
EVERYONE FORGETTING THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT/HINT

go to party store and stock up on the mini-bottles, take a handful of your favorite, pop is free, alcohol is expensive, get a coke from the air-waiter and mix your own

pack them in your carry on, never had a problem with security with them, hey - alcoholics have to travel too!!!!!

knock back 3 or 4 before take off and you won't even worry about crashing

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(Goose @ May 10 2004, 09:55 PM)EVERYONE FORGETTING THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT/HINT

go to party store and stock up on the mini-bottles, take a handful of your favorite, pop is free, alcohol is expensive, get a coke from the air-waiter and mix your own

pack them in your carry on, never had a problem with security with them, hey - alcoholics have to travel too!!!!!

knock back 3 or 4 before take off and you won't even worry about crashing

thems b good tips!!!!

did ya have to mention the c word????

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Piece of cake!

It was pretty cool. As long as they all go that well. Don't want to make a habit of air travel though.

Last nights plane was delay an hour...got in late

Thanks again everyone! GLAD TO BE HOME!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts