Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Fished saturday at metro. 4 guys till noon, 3 of us stayed all day. Came home with over 30 fish over 8 inches. Minnows were not working until late, all we could catch them on were minnow heads. Fished in about 7 fow. Hopefully my buddy will send the pic soon and I will attach it.

Here's my question: the water at metro is not near as clear as selfridge so I have been taking my fish TV. Problem is I haven't caught anything decent while the camera is in the water. I think the jumbos may be wise to a black cord and funny looking camera (well i guess it LOOKS Like a fish) hanging in the water column. Seems like when I take the camera out, we start to catch a few larger ones. Has anybody else noticed this?

Also, I prefer not sight fishing. I will sometimes set the hook to early and end up killing my back from leaning over all day. Although it's pretty sweet when a hawg swims through. Just curious what everyone else is doing. Fishing by sight or by feel. (I always use a minnow on a bobber on one rod and a jigging rod w/ min head, jensen egg, whatever on the other).

-Ziado

Ok got Pics.

1 perch had a sweet humpback, looked like a salmon, the other picture is the biggest at 11"

Also did find 2 gobies in bellies of the catch.
Food Ingredient Dishware Seafood Recipe

Fin Fish Tail Ray-finned fish Marine biology

Fish Fin Seafood Tail Ray-finned fish

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can't help you with the effect the camera may have since I don't have one. I usually don't try to sight fish as I think you do have a tenedncy to strike early. I swear by a spring bobber when using jigs, spoons or teardrops. They are alot more sensitive than a floating bobber. You've got to watch the line too. I like to move the lure up and down in teh water column. Lots of times they'll take it on the way down and the only way you'll know is the line stops going into the hole.

When I fish minnows on a plain hook I'll use a slip bobber weighted so it barely stays afloat. When a fish takes the minnow, the bobber usually just slowly goes under and they feel little to no resistance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
sight fishing when the water is clear is the way to go i think. if a school of fish come in its alot easier to avoid the dinks from biting it and you can try to get the bigger fish to bite it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
throwing some white beans down the hole may help with bottom visibilty. I'm a sight fisherman too and those last 3 feet down drive me nuts. If you do buy bobbers, get the ones that have slits in them so you can quickly put them on without having to retie your rig. The small ones work but you may have to stack a couple(few) on the line to float a spoon.

Draino

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Draino @ Feb 8 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>throwing some white beans down the hole may help with bottom visibilty.

Draino

Eggshells work as well when there isn't a lot of current.

D.R. I tried the camera pointing down and I couldn't see squat until I was right on top of them, although I bet with a lighter color bottm that would work from pretty high up. My camera isn't too fancy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What I noticed at least this year is if the jumbos (10 inches or better) even slightly suspect somethings looks out of place they stay away or keep there distance. It could be a number of reasons, too many lines out, large ice cut outs, "a black cord hanging down" who knows. But I would see them two or three feet from the edge of the hole checking things out, (I think the can sense spear fishermen)
Just like big bucks, they didn't get big being stupid.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Camera works good for times when you cannot see the bottom/fish for the fact you can view their behavior towards your presentation which allows you to change if needed. If you did not have the camera you would not even know there was a fish down there staring at your bait.

Also I have had days at Ginos with the camera where there was nothing but jumbos in the hole but they were all aggressive eaters too...

·
Registered
382 Posts
QUOTE(BobFecal @ Feb 9 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I found the camera to attract & hold fish, they like to school up around it.

Bob your right, and lots of folks have started to use spearing decoys just to attract perch to their bait.

Now if there was a way to get a wiggler in front of the big fish out there, without the dinks nailing it first we'd be in business.

Draino

·
Registered
489 Posts
Try going to the craft shop and getting some fake plants or vines. Wrap them around the black cord on the camera and even around the camera itself. It still may look 'odd' to the fish if there are no other standing weeds around, but I can guarentee they see more weeds than they do black cords, so it should be less suspicous for them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If i was u I would use a flasher or a graph. Then when you marked fish look down in your hole that way your back doesnt hurt. I agree that if you can sight fish do it because you can play keep away from the dinks. That only makes scence to me, why catch the little one when you could have pulled it away and dropped it on the head of a jumbo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts