Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
casting for the toothies, not bad.
We spent most of the time near the Salt River and found a few, one taker:
Water Sky Cloud Boat Vehicle
Mad Dog found it just east of the river in about 5 FOW.
We casted, and casted, and... well you get the idea.
I had a couple bumps and a follow in 7 FOW that chased the Mepps all the way to the boat, watched me figure 8 a couple times and just turned away. I'd guestimate it was about 36". Odd feeling, it bumped the Mepps a couple times, like a tap from below, but wouldn't take it.
I guess it just wasn't meant to be my fish. I'm figuring it was too small to be mine anyway. My first, 2 years ago was 12.5 inches, my second(last year) was 25 inches, so I guess the next one should be a 50.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 5 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very cool! Keep at it Laura. This muskie fishing is easy.

Yeah, sure it is
I only casted 1500 times per day, I don't even feel my shoulder any longer and I have a bathroom to paint this week, wish me luck

I gotta get a pink furry hat, the pink ballcap I tried didn't work.
Yep, believe it or not, I actually wore a pink hat, just to please Schram and the Muskie Gods

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 5 2009, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>casting for the toothies, not bad.
We spent most of the time near the Salt River and found a few, one taker:
View attachment 63439
Mad Dog found it just east of the river in about 5 FOW.
We casted, and casted, and... well you get the idea.
I had a couple bumps and a follow in 7 FOW that chased the Mepps all the way to the boat, watched me figure 8 a couple times and just turned away. I'd guestimate it was about 36". Odd feeling, it bumped the Mepps a couple times, like a tap from below, but wouldn't take it.
I guess it just wasn't meant to be my fish. I'm figuring it was too small to be mine anyway. My first, 2 years ago was 12.5 inches, my second(last year) was 25 inches, so I guess the next one should be a 50.

Sometimes I think they just nudge it; they maybe teasing you. Musky fishing SUCKS!! I'm going again tomorrow

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can see how the sickness starts, first it's seeing the pics and reports here. Then you go out and have at it. All of a sudden you see one just swim up next to the boat, almost sunning itself and you go crazy. Almost so close you could reach over and grab it, and a split second later, gone. I've had that happen in the past while bass fishing, and with nothing handy to cast for it. Yesterday we had one come up maybe 15 feet from the boat, and just swim along side, just teasing us. Just as quick as it came up, it was gone but what a beast, probably a good 48 inches.
Man that gets the heart rate up there quick

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 6 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can see how the sickness starts, first it's seeing the pics and reports here. Then you go out and have at it. All of a sudden you see one just swim up next to the boat, almost sunning itself and you go crazy. Almost so close you could reach over and grab it, and a split second later, gone. I've had that happen in the past while bass fishing, and with nothing handy to cast for it. Yesterday we had one come up maybe 15 feet from the boat, and just swim along side, just teasing us. Just as quick as it came up, it was gone but what a beast, probably a good 48 inches.

Nice fish. Just getting some action out there is worth the trip in my book. Getting one in the boat is a bonus! lol

They definitely scare the crap out of you when they appear out of no where. I was out with Tek last week and had a small one shoot straight up from the bottom boatside and smack my lure as I was about to pull it out. That scared me, cant amagine a 50 doing that. Im sure it will happen one day but I have a feeling Im going to end up in the water off the other side of the boat.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(RICKJAMES @ Jul 5 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 6 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can see how the sickness starts, first it's seeing the pics and reports here. Then you go out and have at it. All of a sudden you see one just swim up next to the boat, almost sunning itself and you go crazy. Almost so close you could reach over and grab it, and a split second later, gone. I've had that happen in the past while bass fishing, and with nothing handy to cast for it. Yesterday we had one come up maybe 15 feet from the boat, and just swim along side, just teasing us. Just as quick as it came up, it was gone but what a beast, probably a good 48 inches.

Nice fish. Just getting some action out there is worth the trip in my book. Getting one in the boat is a bonus! lol

They definitely scare the crap out of you when they appear out of no where. I was out with Tek last week and had a small one shoot straight up from the bottom boatside and smack my lure as I was about to pull it out. That scared me, cant amagine a 50 doing that. Im sure it will happen one day but I have a feeling Im going to end up in the water off the other side of the boat.

NO, not the other side, you'll miss the fish that way
Mad Dog had one on last year, looked like a telephone pole with fins, it hit and just took off, drag screaming as it raced to the north side of the bay. After stripping about half the line, it settled down and he started bringing it in, about halfway back it makes another run to the north. Calmly wait and start bringing it back to the boat, as I get ready with the net. It's about 8 feet away when it decided to go airborn, and I almost had an accident in my unmentionables. Holy Sh*t this thing is about as long as I am tall, and as big around as my thigh. It lands again and takes a look at us and starts shaking its head at us, I've got the net positioned to come up under her as soon as she gets about a foot closer, I'll have her in the net. She shook her head again, the lure went one way and she went the other. If I hadn't had my wallet and cell phone in my pockets I would have gone right over the side after her.
If you're gonna jump, make sure you jump on the right side of the boat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts