Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best and cheapest way to hook up to 20 amp service when I already have 30 amp cords? I havn't been in to West Marine or Boat US yet, but looking on websites looks like a 20A to 30A pig tail is $70-$99. I could buy a whole 30AMP cord for less than that...
thanks

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, my boat is 30amp. The electrical box at Beacon Cove is 20amps.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with a 30 amp rated cord. If the shorepower was 30 amp and you are using a 20 amp rated cord then it would be an issue. You may just keep tripping the shore breaker if you turn on too many items (ie: air conditioning).

Make sure the polarity matches (most boat panels have a light to indicate reverse polarity hookups.)

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the problem arrises because the 30AMP plug is slightly larger than 20AMP plugs.
(where I plug into the power box..)

·
12,052 Posts
If you have an extra cord, cut the male end off and just buy the 20amp male end. Other than that your stuck with buying the adapter.
I hear a lot of beacon cove is 20amp. I'm on m row and its 30amp. Also the adapter is easier to steal.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes the standard plug is a bit cheaper.. but not H20 protected.
I still am amazed at how much they cost.

my cord is a little old anyways, I may just buy a 20Amp Male plug, chop off the existing 30A and replace it.

·
12,052 Posts
I just built another 30amp cord with a male ended cord and a female plug end. Just went out and bought the waterproof boot and bingo.....30 foot cord. Now I can leave the 25 and 50 footers on the boat and leave that one at the slip. Check it out if you want. M-12.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 20 -30 amp adapter I use to need at Beacon Cove,
Make offer. I beleive it was originally purchased from Beacon Cove.

All you will have to do is plug your 30 Amp shore power into the adapter cord that is a bout a foot long. That way you don't have to mess up your shore power cord.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Intruder @ May 7 2003, 08:29 PM)I have a 20 -30 amp adapter I use to need at Beacon Cove,
Make offer. I beleive it was originally purchased from Beacon Cove.

All you will have to do is plug your 30 Amp shore power into the adapter cord that is a bout a foot long. That way you don't have to mess up your shore power cord.
what do you want for it? I could use it at the floating docks at metro. They have one 30amp and one 20amp per boat. email me at [email protected] Thanks.

G

·
QUOTE(hammer @ May 7 2003, 05:29 PM)If you have an extra cord, cut the male end off and just buy the 20amp male end. Other than that your stuck with buying the adapter.
I hear a lot of beacon cove is 20amp. I'm on m row and its 30amp. Also the adapter is easier to steal.
Once you steal the adapter, head over to M12 for an unguarded 30' cord to attach it to...

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ May 8 2003, 01:35 PM)Once you steal the adapter, head over to M12 for an unguarded 30' cord to attach it to...

I know who you are, I know where you work, I know your wife, and I know your kids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts