Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The date set is wednesday, June, 23, 2004.

I know we'll be there and we're trying to get a few friends who are first timers to boat down and raft with us.

Its a great time for your first timers. Dont let the stories scare you off. You'll miss a great event.

Detroit 2204 Freedom Festival Fireworks

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Always a good time. Last year we had about 5 or 6 boats rafted together.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I'll be there! That is one of the things I look forward to on the water. No other view like the one from a boat on the river. Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
We were going to go by boat last year but heard the water is to rough down there. Is this true? We only have a 24 footer though.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I did it in my 25' years back, go only if you are prepared to handle the other boat swells.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(Melly Jo @ May 20 2004, 01:29 PM)We were going to go by boat last year but heard the water is to rough down there. Is this true? We only have a 24 footer though.
Mel,,,

I went down there on my duece duece last year.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
don't let the wave horror stories scare you, where we were anchored last year was very calm, we jumped off the boats and were able to swim, convincor has the spot adjacent to belle isle, easy in, deep water, no waves, its a good time

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
went only one time - 10 years ago - by car too and it was an utter nightmare trying to fight the traffic to get out of there.

I bet it would be a BLAST by boat

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
It is not bad at all.
The bad parts:
Setting your anchor in 35' of water with the current
Sitting there anchored with the passing boat wakes.
As soon as the finale starts everyone is in a race to leave.

When I leave I just take my time and watch for the other idiots crossing your path and gettin to close. Once you hit the lake everyone disperses and its not so bad. If your in a smaller boat I can see where the wakes followin everyone out can be fun, they are for me. I heard alot of people on here before saying that they just stay and wait for everyone to leave. The only thing I guess is it is a work night. When I go I usually am on the Canadian side off the south tip of Belle Isle. Where does everyone on here tie up when they go? If I recall it was the US side off the tip of Belle Isle.
All in all it is one of the best views of downtown and the fireworks.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ May 20 2004, 04:02 PM)don't let the wave horror stories scare you, where we were anchored last year was very calm, we jumped off the boats and were able to swim, convincor has the spot adjacent to belle isle, easy in, deep water, no waves, its a good time
Actually Goose. I discovered that spot the year earlier and took Convincor down the next year to show him. I have been going down there and using that spot forthe past 4 years. Perfect spot though. I was happy to share it with my LSCN friends.

·
Registered
530 Posts
QUOTE(Melly Jo @ May 20 2004, 11:29 AM)We were going to go by boat last year but heard the water is to rough down there. Is this true? We only have a 24 footer though.
i was down there last year with my 23'. I just parked half way down belle isle and put the hammer down right after the grand finalle. I ended up beating the bigger boat out and it wasn't bad at all. this year I'll be down there on a 27

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just got done reading the thread from last year. Looks like you all had a blast!

I've always been a little leary about going down there for the fireworks(but have always wanted to go).
Soooo....... Count Donna and I in for this years festivities!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Been talking to the wife about trying the fireworks by boat. Read last years thread,,, looks like the great time I would hope for. However,, we have a 26' Clipper Marine Sailboat. Would take a while to get there from Anchor Bay. What do you think? Bad Idea? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Um... Convincor....

I'm gonna need you to ah..go ahead and uh.. convice Jon that we should take the boat there too this year... Okay??.. great, great...

Seriously,. I'd like for everyone to do me a favour and PLEASE send him an email... on my behalf.... telling him to take me to the fireworks by boat ... 1. because I've never been, 2. because I really want to go 3. because I'm not askurred and 4. because I really would like to go... I'll owe you all Big time... ..

[email protected]

hehehe... I'm so in trouble now...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
hmm might go too this year.. If i left dock at 9 and jefferson around 7 pm would that be to late?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i've been to the fireworks many of times by car and once by boat. of course that was many years ago.

i'm finally done with school, so i see no reason for not going this year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts