Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a 2002 225 Mercury Opti and was wondering what brand of oil do you guys use? I'm wondering this because I was never told that I have to use Mercury Optimax Oil by the dealer. Will it really make a difference on wear and tear? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Opti's don't use oil the same way a normal 2 cycle motor does. It "atomizes" the oil into very fine droplets, more efficently useing the oil. The DFI oil is a synthetic product, specifically designed to be used in the Opti. USE THE MERC DFI OPTI OIL ONLY IN YOUR 2001 AND NEWER OPTIMAX MOTORS! Unfortunately, it's not cheap. About $25.00 a gallon.

Craig

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig. I was at the Bass Pro Shop Saturday talking with one of their employees and he had mentioned that most guys do not run with that oil.

Steve

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Use the Opti DFI synthetic oil ONLY in those motors,.....it's specifically engineered and manufactured for those motor's. Your motor will love you for it,..and you will NEVER be questioned for warranty work if the motor ever needs to be repaired, providing your using that oil! Paying top dollar for a good motor,..than skimping on the oil is not a good idea....protect your investment!!

Mac

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was told that what ever oil that you start using do not change, Im using evinrude Ficht and when talking to the rep. I was told that the rings seat by what type of oil you are running synthetic or reg. I personally dont even change manufactures and so far so good. (knock on wood)

see you on the water

Rich

·
Registered
91 Posts
Steve,
Don't mess around get the Opti oil. You can buy it at Jan's Sport shop bulk, call Joe in parts for price.
Also you should use some of the Mercury fuel conditioner about every third tank or so.
Mercury(service bulletin) recommended one bottle every tank but I have been using it every third tank and have'nt had any trouble since.
Mark M

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Mark, I called the dealer (Jans) Friday and spoke to the service department. The only oil they said not to use is Pennzoil. My boats at the dealer now so when I pick it up I'll speak to Joe about bulk pricing. I do use the Opti Oil and only have 2 ½ gallons left but when I saw all the different oil manufactures at the Bass Pro Shops I figured I'd ask you guys that have an Opti motor. Thanks.

Steve J.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lot's of good information here and most is very accurate. Here is the facts on the Opti Oil. Mercury does require an oil sample and reading from each opti prior to approving warranty claims. We had two refused over the past year because the owner used oil that was not Mercury Opti Max Oil. The requirement for Opti Oil is for any Opti 2001 or newer. You can buy Opti Oil in bulk at the Tracker Marine Service Center on the corner of Baldwin and Walton in Pontiac for $12 per gal. All you need to do is bring your own containers. We have had customers bring in 5 gal gas cans (new of course) to purchase oil. Oh....by the way the reason you can't buy this in any retail store like Bass pro Shops is that Mercury will not allow any retail stores to sell Optimax Oil. It's a dealer only item!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hey Bass Pro, Do they sell Merc premium plus in bulk there too? Bass Pro Shops didn`t have it on sale this year at thier sale and that`s when I usually stock up for the year.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Czar,

Call the Service or Parts Departments at 248-333-0997. Ask for Craig in parts. He will know, BTW his name is Toadhunter911 on this site.

Mini

·
Registered
163 Posts
We don't have our bulk oil supply yet. Big shots at corporate haven't made the decision to "particapate" in Mercs program yet. Check back in a week and we should know something then.

Craig

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been running Merc Prem Plus in my 2000, 225 Opti but have considered changing to DFI. My concern has been that I didn't think you were to switch to synthetic once you were using Oil.
I've been worred about mixing the two. Can you run the oil low and start filling with DFI?

thanks.

Time spent ofishing is not deducted from ones life span.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Bassin'Fool,....I was told that you cannot mix the oils...your reservoir and lines will have to be completely drained and then re-filled with the DFI oil...including the little reserve tank under the cowling. Premium Plus is fine for your motor...I'd continue using is since your piston rings are already "set" and your motor was broken-in using the PP oil. Y'know the old saying,..."If it ain't broke,,...don't fix it!"..
DFI oil is the best for Opti Motors right from the very start, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the PP......I would stick with PP oil though and don't mix it with any other brands....even if it says TCW-3....stick with the Premium Plus!! Have a great season!!

Mac

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
,...now that you mentioned it,...ahahahha

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Just got the Bass Pro sale flier for April and Merc Premium Plus is on sale thru the month for $11.88 a gallon. Time to stock up.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
that is a good price,.....buy a case or two and you might even get a better deal...it's worth asking about....talk to Craig at the BPS Service Center.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
End of which month? March or April? (for the PP oil sale)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts