Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
12,052 Posts
Not there. Up by the North channel. Where it makes a turn to the left with a big bay on the right. Its laying on the bank. Right out in front of jetski Bob's inlaws cottage.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I think this is the one Instigator hit, correct me if wrong. (the wreck is marked and is over by the word swamp on the n. ch., not on the Chenal. sorry, no photo shop magic here)

There are a bunch marked around Russel Island on the N. ch., too. Interesting when you really start looking on a chart for these.

Found this website, as well. Ship wrecks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
ThreeCrabs ... your second chart posted is the Chenal Ecarte (not Chenal a Bout Rond / Sni (sp) Channel). My marina is right around the corner at the Nautical Nest.

Baby Point is just south of Port Lambton, and the Canadian Coast Guard Station on the St. Clair River.

The wreck that is there is an old 30' or so wood and iron boat that burnt to the waterline and prmptly sunk at the pier that it was once tied to ... happened about 65 years or so ago. In order to find it, yo have to be waaaaaaaaaaaay out of the marked channel and slaloming the pilings that are still exposed. The pier decking has long sice burned / rotted away.

You are right though, it is totally fascinating to see all of the markings of wrecks on charts (okay no wise-a$$ comments -- maybe I need to get out more!), when you do take the time to look at them.

Ciao for now,
Scott.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Buoys will be Buoys @ Jul 13 2004, 12:29 AM)ThreeCrabs ... your second chart posted is the Chenal Ecarte (not Chenal a Bout Rond / Sni (sp) Channel). My marina is right around the corner at the Nautical Nest.
BwbB, 3rd chart is the Sni, LOL! All these Chenal's are getting confusing.
(All Jacked Up posted a aerial picture of the one at Ecarte. It's his 2nd. pic in this thread.)

Thank you for the information on the wreck at Ecarte.....Very interesting, indeed.

Do you know where the ship at Sarnia Bay sank? It's the one used for the end of the parking lot up there. I guess that part of the wreck was brought back up or saved. Can't remember the story of it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Three Crabs ... in looking at the chart there a couple there ...

According to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research (yes, that is a real website which you can find here) it probably is the wooden schooner Ottawa. The story goes back to 03 September 1875. I am plagiarizing below - so my apologies to the author.

"Along with several other schooners, she (the Ottawa) was caught in a storm near Lexington, Mich, and disabled. The propeller GEORGE KING towed her into the St. Clair River, where she anchored for the night. After dark the propeller ANNIE L. CRAIG collided with her, putting a hole in her side. She drifted to the Canadian side and sank. In mid-October she was stripped, towed "into the bulrushes of Sarnia Bay," and abandoned. Still lying on the bottom in Apr, 1878, she was later raised, but was declared a constructive total loss and abandoned (probably)."

I assume the second ship that's there is the Southampton -- going by the story on the website, but that's just guessing on my part. You can read details here.

Hope this helps (and if not, at least entertains!)

Scott.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
take caution around this sunken barge I know someone that has a cottage and this is right out in front of his place and about 2 months ago a scarab got caught on it and not knowing what they were caught on he jumped in and cut his chest really bad on a piece of sharp rusted metal so I would be very careful.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Great pic~It's amazing seeing a big freighter right off in the weeds like that. Notice the smooth line in the water? Wonder if that's a boat whizzing by?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Oct 18 2004, 01:51 PM)Notice the smooth line in the water? Wonder if that's a boat whizzing by?
I beleive thats just where it drops off from 2 or 3 ft deep to 30 feet.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts