Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard alot about the Yamamoto Senko worm and I would like to know if anyone has some rigging tips that's been working for them. Any thoughts out there. I've caught a few largemouths on the 6" version but I wonder if anyone has picked up any smallmouths on these baits.

·
Registered
795 Posts
OK your on to my secret bait . . ..
Really they don't work . . . . .

Stick to tubes . . . .

Just kidding, experiment with different rigs until you have confidence in the one that is most productive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ive found wacky rigged or texas rigged weightless works great.

Was up on Saint Clair 2 weeks ago, caught a bunch of smallies with them texas rigged weightless. Was using yam's new laminant (2 color) 4 inchers.

I usually wacky rig the 6 inchers.

Good luck

·
Registered
535 Posts
I love fishing Senkos. Texas rigged with no weight around weeds. Or better yet for smallies on sandy flats carolina rigged....AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have been using the senko's quite a bit. I actually have both my kids rods rigged with senko's and their split shot hooks (circle hooks) My boys rarely miss a fish this way and it teaches them how to work a bait. Wacky rigging works real well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Awesomw, Awesome, Awesome!!!

I rig them Wacky and Texas style with no weight. Once last year on erie we were fishing 2:00PM in 18 to 20 foot of water and the bite was really turned off. I threw on a 5" with no weight, threw it out, it sank to about 14', felt tap-tap, set the hook and brought in a 4-1/2. The only thing that I have noticed is that when I work them to much they don't work as well. I've heard some people fish them like a soft jerk bait but it has never worked for me. Most of my fish come on the fall or when it first hits bottom.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Workingman, I agree. When I fish Senkos, I cast'em out and let them work. If your targeting shallow weeds, shore, or docks, cast them out, let them hit bottom and then slowly reel a foot or so,,,maybe twitch it, reeel a bit more,,twitch and then reel it in. He's right, most bite are within 15 seconds of the cast.

Dan

·
Registered
927 Posts
senkos are one those baits that can be rigged just about anyway you want to rig it.

there are 2 rigs i use that most people laugh at when they see me put a hook through one, but i will tell you anyway.

first funny rig is, i will rig a senko backwards. the tapered end first. this works very well when fishing around obstacles. it maked the bait glide backwards ( almost like the flying lure). works well around docks, stumps, posts, or anything really.

the other funny way i will rig it is to hook it about 1" down the bait with a circle hook. dont ask me why i do this, but it gives the bait a unique action when it drops. the only thing with this rig is you will lose a lot of senkos this way. but it puts fish in the boat, so its worth it

thats all i got man. take it or leave it

madman himself

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is my Senko conservation method of fishing:

Start of with a traditional weightless texasrig from the fat end, after it starts getting tore up I switch it around and fish it backwards like Madman from the skinny end, after that end also gets tore up I switch to wacky rigged in the center till it's gone. The main thing when texasrigging it is to make sure the bait is pin straight and that it never spins on the retrieve.

There are now ALOT of senko imitations out there, but most are not as dense as the original. I'm expectiong a shipment of Wacko's from wackyworm.com that have the EXACT same density(salt content). I know a guy who has scientifically tested in a chemistry lab all the imitators by melting off the plastic/rubber and measuring the leftover salt contnet and comparing it to the original volume and weight and so far the Wackos are the closest to the original and of corse they are 1/3 the price when you buy them in bags of 50.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mantas,

if you talk to your buddy ask him how the Kinami Flash measured up to the actual gary yamamoto senko.

i usually opt for the kinami because i am too cheap to drop $6 on the senkos.

just curious

thanks,

madman himself

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mantas

That's a great idea!!! I have a 3-1/2 acre pond at the entrance of my subdivision that I fish 3 or 4 evenings a week (it's loaded with 2 to 3lb fish - I love it!!!). Senko's are all I use there and I'm going through 2 or 3 packs a week. I'm going to have to take a home equity load out to buy more the way I'm going through them!!!

You are right on about copies (except Kinami's) - THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!! They don't cast as far, they don't sink as fast, they don't fall through the weeds, they don't stay down when you retreive them - THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!

Madman24

Kinami's are the same!!! I use Senko's and Kinami's interchangeably with great results. I was told that Kinami's are manufactured and marketed by Gary Yamamoto's son and that he uses the same molds and recipe as his dad. However, the reason Kinami's are only $4 a bag is because there are only 7 in a package in lieu of 10 (marketing).

There is one additional thing that I have noticed. The two color laminated Senko's don't seem to have the same density as the single color's. I noticed that they act similarly as the copies but they still cast like a bullet. I was thinking that there may be some air that gets trapped between the layers during the processing(?).

Well, I've got to go to the pond and drop a few bucks worth of Senko's - expensive but well worth it!

Good luck guys

·
Registered
927 Posts
i bought a pack of poor boys. they sucked. i threw the whole bag away. nothing substitutes for the real thing.

i figured as much with the flash being the same as the senko. makes sense. go yamamotos go!

madman himself

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Flash come from the same molds, same recipe, and same building as the GYCB Senko. They cost $0.57 per flash compared to $0.60 per senko, but their color selection is lacking(but they have cool ones for what they have). The Flash and the Senko are EXACTLY the same.

In other news, I recieved my wackyworm Wacko order today and so far I'm very pleased. Out of the box the first thing I noticed is that the Wacko has a larger and more exagerated ribbing on the worm and there is a different taper to them as well. The wackos seem to have more 'tasting' salt to them, my buddy Mark measured the salt content and they are identical to the senko, 35% mass salt for both. The one thing that some people pump up is the more flexible nature to the Wacko. I don't know if that is good or bad because I like the nonbending nature of the senko when it is jerked, the ribbing, taper, and flexibility of the Wacko makes the worm 'swim' more. I took a few shots of a side by side comparison of the Senko and the Wacko. The pic in the middle is supposed to show the greater flexibility of the wacko because I'm holding them in the same spot and the wacko droops further down(the different taper may also explain this phenominon, the camera angle makes this look ALOT bigger than it really is but there was a difference). The gentleman also threw in some different colors and his fluke style bait that is made from the same salted plastic, I had to post a pic of those flukes because they seem like they are going to be killer.

At 1/3 the price and more durability I had to give them a try, I'll give you guys an update next week on how they perform on the water. I've been using senkos for about 4 years now(years before anyone even heard of them) so I should be able to make a good on-the-water comparison.

Here is a post from Mark(MarkG) explaining how he tested the salt content:

"I measured the salt content by gravimetric method, so it's the weight percent. Basically you just burn off the organics (polymer/plasticizer) and the salt is left as a residue. You can do the same thing without a fancy Thermal Gravimetric Analyzer (TGA) by just weighing the bait and burning it, but you'd need a high temp holder...the TGA pans are platinum. You could also dissolve the plastic/plasticizer in an organic solvent and dry the salt....so long as the salt isn't soluble in the solvent, you'll get a good number.

It might seem as if 35% isn't all that much, esp. since they seem to be so thick in salt just by visual inspection. But 35% is a heck of a lot of filler. Some of these baits will vary more to between 30% to upwards of 40% salt, esp. those with a coarser salt, like the case magic stick and the Will-O stick by ISG. But the average for even those comes back to about 35%. Bottom line is that it's gets very difficult to fill a polymer system to a loading much greater than 40%.

mark"

We do test's on all kinds of stuff(independently, I've never met the man): line/knot strength, viscosity and water solubility of reel bearing oil. I have to put that Wayne State University Chemistry to use on something.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Senko-type baits have not been an important part of my arsenal in past years but they are moving up my list.
I read in a past Bassmaster or Bass Times about using a rubber O-ring on the senko in order to prevent quick destruction of the plastic. Find a proper sized O-ring to fit snugly on the center of a senko. Usually used with a wacky setup, put on the O-ring on the Senko about halfway and slide your hook into the O-ring.
I suppose that with some ingenuity, different rigs could be assembled with the O-ring.
Also, I'm wondering if guys have forgotten about the hot knife?? Sometimes, those breaks in plastic lures are disastrous for fishing but are straight line breaks. Heat up an OLD knife (NOT something from the kitchen's regular inventory!!), insert it into the break, close the plastic onto the knife and slide out the knife. One usable senko back in the bag.

Have fun. Tim J.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. I gave them a try on a local lake and believe it or not, I lost a good size large mouth on the second cast. I tried the wacky rig first. I seemed to get more hits on the wacky rig as compared to Texas rigging. Only complaint is, they don't hold up very well. I'll have to give Mantas method a try.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did a search on "wacky" and did not find anything but this string. I have never used flukes, tubes, or senkos,,,, but i would like to try after reading the success that folks are having!!

I assume i can get them at BPS.

I understand the texas rig method, but dont know what a "whacky" setup is. Could some explain or provide pic?

Is everyone serious? All i need to do is cast senkos out on a texas rig, let it hit bottom, wait for a tick or else reel in a foot with a little jerk action? For St Clair, do i do this all the way to the boat, or just for 5 ft in the weeds or structure?

Thanks for all the help!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts