Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I don't post here regularly, and I know the topic of power loading has been discussed to death here before... but I feel as if I need to share my recent experiences with those who think that there are no ill effects to power loading.

Went out to Metro on Saturday to test out my brand new lab finished props on my 32' Offshore style boat. I've been launching here for the last three years with this boat, so I knew there is plenty of water, even with the water at lower levels. So, I launch the boat, lower the drives (to half way point), fire up the motors, and proceed to back out. Right as I approached the back of the dock, I hear a loud grinding noise coming from the port drive. I quickly pull it into neutral and raise the drive all the way up. Sure enough, I ran over a gravel pile.

WTF? How did a gravel pile get there?!?

As I did some investigating, I learned that the park maintenance recently put down a layer of gravel to prevent people from losing the trailers over the edge of the ramp. Since this gravel was recently laid down, ALL THE GODDAMN POWERLOADERS pushed the new gravel into a pile at the end of the dock that was about 12 inches deep. I even took out the old yard stick and dipped it into the water off the dock to prove this theory. Sure enough, a nice 5 foot deep hole was right at the end of the launch with a 1 foot gravel bar at the end of the dock. I'll entertain other ideas on how this might have happened, but as of now, I am blaming this 100% on power loaders!!!

Since local and park law enforcement's seem to be doing nothing about this problem, I am going to make ever power loader know exactly how I feel when I witness them doing the crime. Hello, there's a big f-ing sign at Metro that explicitly says: "NO POWER LOADING". I hand winch my 6500 lbs. deep V onto my trailer every single time, so please don't tell me that certain trailers need to be driven onto. That is total horse schit. If someone needs help loading a boat at the launch, I'm sure somebody would be more than happy to assist their fellow boater.

I am done ranting now. I now need to call my prop guy and tell him that prop I just spent $400 on getting lab finished is now crap.

-Bayley

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Sorry to hear about the prop....that really sucks. Thanks for the head up on the gravel pile. To bad you had to be the one to find out the hard way. I hope this prevents someone else from wrecking a prop. Did you tell the park law enforcement about it? What did they have to say about it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rerun,
Unfortunately, I could not find any park police. Even if I could have, would that really change anything? I can't count the times I've seen people power loading boats, all the while the park cops sit idly by doing NOTHING. I think more people like myself (and Bill) need to let these people at the launch ramp know EXACTLY how we feel about power loading. I'll have a large bucket of brown swamp sludge that should let these perpetrators know just how I feel about their boat retrieval procedures.

-Bayley

G

·
Whoohoo -- Powerloading is back and badder than ever!!

We made it out yesterday and saw someone powerload when we launched and retrieved. Last fall during the whole powerloading debacle, I decided to keep a running tab on who I saw powerloading. So far after day one, the score is Bass Boats - 1, Jet Boats - 1. I won't post this every time I go out, maybe a mid-summer and end of the season totals.

One other thing I noticed is that it looks like people's docking skills are a little rusty. I had my share of trouble docking by not getting close enough to the docks but was lucky enough to have help on the dock at Metro (thanks Hammer) and at Bumpers (thanks Rico). But at the launch, it looked like every dock had at least one post snapped off.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Bayley,
so sorry to hear this, damn powerloaders.....
Powerloaders should be shot on site !

·
Registered
991 Posts
Man, you have to see how cool it looks when I power loaded the Dominator Sunday with that big roostertail shooting out. It was so much fun I backed it again and did it one more time. Dropped my damn beer bottle in the water when I got back out the boat the second time, pised me off.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Nothing more I would like to do then get you and Bill's blood boiling.
I still have a set of Lenny's props on my boat for test, that would have sucked if were me. Then I would have been buying his girlfriend new props. When I ran it Sunday I stayed in the deepest part of the Lake paranoid I would hit something.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Bayley, that sucks! I've watched people do that many times, now I will kindly say something to them, sorry to see that

Tom how does the boat run?

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Apr 28 2003, 07:11 PM)I thought you guys wanted to talk about powerloading in Hammers part of the board.

HEY
Its your discussion now!! He-he. I went through pages and pages of this last year. Just hope djkimmel doesn't see this post, right Bill272?

Now me......I just hung out on my tuna boat all weekend.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ May 6 2003, 09:53 AM)I guess that most people can't read.

I guess that explains why so many don't know the "rules of the road" out there. Oops that is a whole other topic isn't it.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the launch. I can attest that the launch at Metro is low, but I doubt a gravel pile placed by the park was moved already this year. There just have not been many boats launching yet. Most of the guys I know are launching at S. River Road if fishing Clair or launching in the Detroit River for walleyes.

I know none of that has any chance of making your props new again. Again I apologize for all boaters, not just bass boaters.

BTW I was in Ohio most of the past three weekends and they seem to encourage power loading. And please remember that IDLE SPEED is allowed in Michigan. In gear idle speed at that.

Make an insurance claim or try launhing at a larger launch. I know that Harley Ensign (S River Road) is safe for the BIG BOATS....good luck on your props.

Mini

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ May 6 2003, 04:10 PM)BTW I was in Ohio most of the past three weekends and they seem to encourage power loading. And please remember that IDLE SPEED is allowed in Michigan. In gear idle speed at that.

Mini,
Power load all you want in Ohio or wherever it's allowed. I have to think these launches have signs like the one posted for a reason.

~Christine

1 - 20 of 49 Posts