Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody outside of work (mine doesn't offer it) putting into a retirement fund? Anybody that can recommend somebody to speakwith about this and set it up?

It's time for me to get back into that.

Thanks,
moi

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
A friend of mine is a financial planner and helped me to roll over a 401k when I quit my job several years ago. His name is Larry Baettens and he is a partner with "Wellington Financial". His office no. is 586-263-3243. He is very knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong.

I think that because it was a little over $100k, the fund he hooked me up with matched my roll-over with a 4% contribution. Every contribution after that (regardless of how much) is also matched. The interest I made on the fund was out standing! When the economy was good it grew faster than when my employer ran it.

This all occured several years ago, so I don't know if that plan is still available.

good luck

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
your welcome!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Forget the 401k and buy real estate and buy and sell those fixer uppers, you're a handy girl. or better yet get in with Ck and buy a bar
ask the Taxman about it. All I know that no matter what playing around of funds that I did my 401k lost money for almost 24 months, this last quarter was like the first time that things appeared on the upswing. I know, " Pauli's Shore Bar" woo hoo!!

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
QUOTE(tsunamihart @ Sep 12 2003, 11:24 AM)Forget the 401k and buy real estate...
That's what I'm doing. Real-estate is everywhere and here forever. Everyone needs a place to live and are buying/selling/renting etc. If you are creative, you could easily buy a few houses a year... hell I bought 5 investment houses last year and started to build my new house, so I know it can be done.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've considered that real-estate option. Have some friends that are starting it and said I could learn with them; it seems to be a huge time committment, though...

but yeah, the existing stuff I had in 401k I lost big bones on... changed to a minimum risk with all of it.

Gotta do something!

I remember hearing about that Roth IRA a while back now that you mention it...

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
P. I am no expert, but I take all of my extra cash and buy more equity in my house. Nothing appreciates like realestate and it's easier than dealing with different people that all have their hand in it and different accounts, and there are no tenants to deal with either.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
did the rental thing houses spent a lot of time in court trying to get my money from tennants. and fixing what they trashed.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Keep in mind Pauline, that with the market on such a downturn, we are buying up stock at bargain-basement prices right now!

Get into a retirement fund that includes mutual funds based on the S&P 500 and the US Equity Index and BUY BUY BUY! At our age, we need to be very aggressive since we have another 25 years to recoup any significant losses we incure now.

When the market comes back (and history dictates that it will) we will be looking back at this time and thanking God we bought so much stock when the price was so low. We're gonna retire as millionaires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts