Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starboard Engine under load shuts down at about 3000 RPMS. No backfiring, popping or engine missing. Just seems to just shut down. Starts fine, idles fine. Can rev engine in idle with no problems.

Anyone got the tools to investigate and trouble shoot plugs, caps, or rotors?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I guarantee it's not an impeller problem. At least not on the starboard engine.

Could this be a Fuel filter issue???

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Convincor has the same engine in his boat.

Hazymemory may have some trouble shooting tools.

Bill272, Gray864 may have some ideas too.

Can you free rev it at 3000 rpm + for a long time ?

Simple look would be to check your fuel filter, water seperator, check fuel pick up make sure there is no debris in tank, check lines to the engine for cracks, vacuum, look at fuel pump. could possibbley be a fuel issue, may be an issue of amperage (electric) if you are shy on electric, your fuel system will not operate properly, injectors should be electronic, as is your firing, and other sensors.
I know my neighbor just had this issue with his truck, bad alternator, low system volts did not run the injectors and firing order properly, had the computers all goofed up, idle was fine, free rev fine, then once he got on expressway, hit it, and fell on its face, no power, would basically shut down, he then put on new alternator all is good.

Good Luck !!!, keep me posted, call me if you need some help too.....I will help where I can.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(cotty @ Jul 13 2004, 12:34 PM)Could this be a Fuel filter issue???
That would be my guess too. Or a fuel pump.

·
12,052 Posts
I have MPI's also, and last year one engine shut down around 3000 when pulling out of beacon cove. After a few minutes it was ok. Happened about 3 times. Hasn't since. Ron at Dynamic speed has a new laptop with the mercruiser software to plug into our motors and check them out. I need to get him on my boat too. He needs cold beer and chicks on board. Dynamic - 586-949-5990.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump or filter to me as well. Darn picky engines! Does the engine have a delay with a free rev?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Sounds like it's time to scrap that boat & get a new one... If you want, just drop it off at my place, leave the keys & the title, and I'll get rid of her for you...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Could be oil pressure sending unit also. Engine will drop into protection mode and not aloow above 3000 rpm.

You need to have it looked at to be safe.

Mini

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to try Fuel Filter tonight along with some other things. If not, Ron at Dynamic said he could possible look at Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Mid 90's engine??? I think there was something with the mapping in ECUs that will not let the motor continously run around 2500 rpms without shutting down. Really don't know the details, but that is something to look into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts