Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out kinda late started fishing around quarter to 7 at New Baltimore beach by the cop shop. Friend caught a decent pike on a bomber along with a couple largemouth i pulled out of there till a bunch of noisy people showed up. I then headed over to Scmidt marina (im pretty sure its not that legit to fish there but no one stopped me) and went to the mouth of the little canal and made a few casts. Popped a few bass out then got a nice pike to follow my hawgtail. Tossed out a lucky craft jerkbait, 3rd cast and yeah boy, 33 inches. I like catching pike because its fun.

Glasses Sky Cloud Hand Arm

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE(vinniemays @ Jun 13 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got out kinda late started fishing around quarter to 7 at New Baltimore beach by the cop shop. Friend caught a decent pike on a bomber along with a couple largemouth i pulled out of there till a bunch of noisy people showed up. I then headed over to Scmidt marina (im pretty sure its not that legit to fish there but no one stopped me) and went to the mouth of the little canal and made a few casts. Popped a few bass out then got a nice pike to follow my hawgtail. Tossed out a lucky craft jerkbait, 3rd cast and yeah boy, 33 inches. I like catching pike because its fun.

View attachment 62482

do you ever fish at brandenburg park?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hey Vinnie...I see you fishin out there all the time...im the guy thats almost always castin out mepps. We've talked before @ the pier. Nice fish, way to go bro..nice lookin pike!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I would if there was anyone there, seeing as I do fish there on the ice. But yeah I hit brandenburg alot early spring before the weeds come in too thick. Havent been there as of late but I pulled good pike numbers out of there this year, all fishing for bass too. Cool to see some people ive fished with are on this forum.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE(vinniemays @ Jun 13 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah I would if there was anyone there, seeing as I do fish there on the ice. But yeah I hit brandenburg alot early spring before the weeds come in too thick. Havent been there as of late but I pulled good pike numbers out of there this year, all fishing for bass too. Cool to see some people ive fished with are on this forum.

i think i have seen you out there, did one of your friends catch a big pike and you had the net and couldnt land him and then he got pissed at you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah that was me at the Burg, if he would worked his drag and gave me a chance to net it i wouldve had it haha oh well. That was a monster he had though. Thatts sweet though yeah i went to anchor bay, whats your name aaa, jeremy ....?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
marinas dont allow people to fish in the marina they have a responsibility to its customers who have their boats there. not saying you do this but i know of a few sail boats the have had their sails ruined by someone snaggin the sail and tearing their lure out. their sails cost way more then any lure anyones casting if you hook a boat cut the line call it a loss. also broke off fishing lines get wrapped in our propellers and can cause bearing dmg or lock up the outdrive happened to us on a friends boat last year at the thames thank god he had twins but the 7 hour troll back to sundog marina sucked. im sure they would lose clients if they had people on the docks i know i wouldnt be happy to pull up and someone on my dock fishing

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah your right about that, i didnt take all that into consideration. Ill just get that spot with the boat. Its in the lake not the marina anyway. Dont get the image that i was pitching under docks and boats haha, I just wanted to fish the little channel edge at the mouth of the canal. Thanks for the insight though.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(vinniemays @ Jun 16 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah your right about that, i didnt take all that into consideration. Ill just get that spot with the boat. Its in the lake not the marina anyway. Dont get the image that i was pitching under docks and boats haha, I just wanted to fish the little channel edge at the mouth of the canal. Thanks for the insight though.

i dont think all shore fishermen/women are like that but unfortunatlely only takes a few bad apples to give sportmen a bad name. i was just explaining why marinas dont allow fishing inside their marinas. if their customers boats are being damaged you think they want to rent that slip next year so boat can be damged some more. i know some people say you can fish them by boat but they can have you kicked out also. like i said its a obligation to protect their clients property and its no different from boat or land. if a marina calls the sherriff and say this guys casting at my customers boats trust me they will be removed cause thats intent to do property damage. i got kicked out of sassy years ago for fishing in the marina for spring pike when no boats were in the water yet. just cause i was casting in between their docks like i was going to dmg the dock ? but i wasnt going to argue with the sheriff he told me i had to leave and i did

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm not starting anything!!!! Questions and comments only. I'm going to have to look into the rules and regs for this.

Fishing is intent to do damage? I don't know if I would have left. I wouldn't fish there with a bunch of boats in the water, but empty yes I would. If I'm fishing the Salt River near the boat docks what right does anyone have to tell me to leave? Isn't the river public domain? Even with docks along both sides? Maybe its different in a marina. Do they own the water in the marina to the lake bottom? I know some rivers are like that through residential areas. The home owners on both sides own the river bottom lands usually to the middle of said river. Interesting. Most lake owners though only own to the waters edge I thought. Or was that law changed?

Ice fishing I can understand if your tresspassing on the marina property. If you come in from the lake is it still tresspassing?

Gotta dig into these issues. I will post what I find.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jun 17 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not starting anything!!!! Questions and comments only. I'm going to have to look into the rules and regs for this.

Fishing is intent to do damage? I don't know if I would have left. I wouldn't fish there with a bunch of boats in the water, but empty yes I would. If I'm fishing the Salt River near the boat docks what right does anyone have to tell me to leave? Isn't the river public domain? Even with docks along both sides? Maybe its different in a marina. Do they own the water in the marina to the lake bottom? I know some rivers are like that through residential areas. The home owners on both sides own the river bottom lands usually to the middle of said river. Interesting. Most lake owners though only own to the waters edge I thought. Or was that law changed?

Ice fishing I can understand if your tresspassing on the marina property. If you come in from the lake is it still tresspassing?

Gotta dig into these issues. I will post what I find.

if casting at boats yes what good is going to come from hooking someones sail or interior or bounce lures,sinkers off their gel coat. i cant go to a public parkinglot play rollerhockey and use someones car for a backstop just becuase its public still dont mean we can throw, cast, etc... objects at another persons property. i believe the dnr say its ok but they dont enforce property dmg thats law enforcements job. and if someone complains there is potential for property dmg is their duty to stop it. and i seen 3 people walked off the wall in cuffs in ludington last year for casting while boats were entering the pierheads it made the local paper up there. yes you have a right to fish do you have a right to cast at boats the sherriff didnt think so for those 3. and sassy complained i was casting at their docks wich i was and the sherriff protected their property wasnt much to argue about i was happy to be let go with a warning

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i looked on some legal sites theyres alot of cases over that issue. but i guess some common sense and theyre summary sum it up. where are you navigating to in a dead end marina its not public domain
WHAT ARE PUBLIC WATERS?

THE "FLOATING LOG" TEST AND KEY DEFINITIONS

It should be emphasized here that the terms "public" and "navigable" are synonymous; likewise are the terms "private" and "non-navigable." This is due to the fact that since 1787, prior to Michigan's admission to the Union, applicable law has stated as "public" all waters that are navigable and, as "private" all waters that are "non-navigable." Accordingly, the legal test used to determine "navigability" is the crux of the matter. The fact that a water is boatable, does not necessarily, in the opinion of the courts, make it navigable.

Public and private rights are controversial issues that have historically been determined by the courts. Michigan courts have repeatedly held that the public has rights in navigable water. These waters have been defined as any water which in its natural state is capable of and has been used for the purposes of commerce, travel and trade by the customary and ordinary modes of navigation. The floating of logs during the lumbering days was held to be an act of commerce. Consequently, any lake or stream used for this purpose would be considered navigable within the meaning of this term. Thus, the log floatation test has largely become the yardstick in Michigan to determine the "navigability" of a waterbody, that is, whether public or private.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just want to let ya'll know, I'm a Schmid and have worked down at the marina and I'll tell you this, don't let any of my uncles catch you fishing they would seriously get upset. They're view is this; you are on private property and the only people that have access to this property are our customers. Even the customers know the rules that fishing really isn't permitted like said before it can cause damage to boats if a lure gets caught in a sail or canvas or if the line gets wrapped around something. Now coming down in the winter time it is always nice to ask permission from the owners of any marina first. It's better to ask and get a no then to go down and fish anyways and end up having the police show up for trespassing.

Just so you know even I don't fish down there.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
isnt there a NO TRESPASSING sign at Schmids? i thought i seen 1 when i tried going there for ice. i thought thats why i didnt stay.

nice pike though. i go to New Baltimore park quite a bit. place gets pack'd with people on the pier. hopefully all this rain cleans the bird crap off of it.

one of my friends just wouldnt stop fishing in a no fishing/trespassing area up on harsens, well nobody has ever complained or anything. but a few people stop and ask if we're getting anything. i use to be leary of it, but after 10 people stop and ask how he's doing, i started to get a little closer and ended up right next to him. we werent by anything like a boat or docks, but there is a huge sign that you cant miss that says no fishing.

i dont really want a fine, or my license getting messed with. i be pi__ed off if i couldnt ice fish this year.....LOL

·
Registered
69 Posts
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i looked on some legal sites theyres alot of cases over that issue. but i guess some common sense and theyre summary sum it up. where are you navigating to in a dead end marina its not public domain
WHAT ARE PUBLIC WATERS?

THE "FLOATING LOG" TEST AND KEY DEFINITIONS

It should be emphasized here that the terms "public" and "navigable" are synonymous; likewise are the terms "private" and "non-navigable." This is due to the fact that since 1787, prior to Michigan's admission to the Union, applicable law has stated as "public" all waters that are navigable and, as "private" all waters that are "non-navigable." Accordingly, the legal test used to determine "navigability" is the crux of the matter. The fact that a water is boatable, does not necessarily, in the opinion of the courts, make it navigable.

Public and private rights are controversial issues that have historically been determined by the courts. Michigan courts have repeatedly held that the public has rights in navigable water. These waters have been defined as any water which in its natural state is capable of and has been used for the purposes of commerce, travel and trade by the customary and ordinary modes of navigation. The floating of logs during the lumbering days was held to be an act of commerce. Consequently, any lake or stream used for this purpose would be considered navigable within the meaning of this term. Thus, the log floatation test has largely become the yardstick in Michigan to determine the "navigability" of a waterbody, that is, whether public or private.

What about ice fishing? This voids navigation and the "floating turd log" situations???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts