Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
remember that july storm in the moot well my anchor let lose my fault not enough line out and goes in to another guys boat, after storm was over and we were done cussing each other out,gave him my # and mc# and insurance. today sheriff calls this guy filed a claim and there asking me why i didnt file a report .i did call coast gaurd 3 times no one there knew what to do to take my report. was like ok well this guy has my# i dont have his,when he calls i let him know. he never did call .but calls sheriff to say i didnt file a report. what the f.,,k.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i thought you only had so many days to file a report???

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
That`s B.S.......There has got to be some sort of time limit....reasonable this is....

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
you have 48hrs to file a report if it involves death, injuries that need medical help, or a disappearence.
you have 10 days if it was a collison w/ $500 or more in damage

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Dec 1 2003, 04:01 PM)Remember that july storm in the moot? Well, my anchor let lose, my fault, not enough line out, and goes into another guys boat. After storm was over and we were done cussing each other out, gave him my # and mc# and insurance. Today, sheriff calls. This guy filed a claim and they're asking me why i didnt file a report. I did call coast gaurd 3 times, no one there knew what to do to take my report. I was like; "ok well this guy has my#, I dont have his. when he calls I'll let him know." He never did call, but [he] calls [the] the sheriff to say I didnt file a report. What the f*@k?!?
I had to add punctuation so I could read it.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks snow, ill be sure and tell your boss what a great help you are on here.think i still have # somewhere.

·
12,052 Posts
How much was the damage? I though it had to be over a certain amount, like $200. to even file a report.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine was around 1500. have no idea what his was he never called me or my insurace co.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Where's Gary864? He could tell you what you need to know.

If that's the storm I'm thinking about that was one hell of a big storm. I remember being in the moot and one of Baja Dan's lines snapped. Fast Eddie, P-29 and myself were all in the water trying to hold the boat so not to cause damage to any other boats.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Dec 1 2003, 06:02 PM)Where's Gary864? He could tell you what you need to know.

If that's the storm I'm thinking about that was one hell of a big storm. I remember being in the moot and one of Baja Dan's lines snapped. Fast Eddie, P-29 and myself were all in the water trying to hold the boat so not to cause damage to any other boats.
owe yeah remember that storm !
winds was wicked.....
that line snapped , that was not good !

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Bummer, Bob....at first I thought you were going to post something about the city of Troy.....that would be like them...

You attempted to do the right thing. Not your fault they couldn't handle it. It's not like you are hiding, either...you gave the other boater your insurance and mc numbers....

I hope Shorgasm is right. There has to be a time limit. This guy could have had his boat fall off it's stand here in the last week, doesn't have insurance and thought he'd blame you when the light bulb in his head went off.

Best of everything and hope you can resolve it.

Oh, when was the report filed? Do you have a copy yet?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah, that was a hell of a storm. I had two anchors out and it snagged them both out like they weren't there. Thats why Sparky got my boat this fall for the glass repairs.

Sounds to me like you did everything right, Bob. Maybe Lisa has it right and he did something stupid later on or even last week and decided to try and blame you for it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh yeah, and it was on the 4th of July that storm hit.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Dec 1 2003, 05:50 PM)How much was the damage? I though it had to be over a certain amount, like $200. to even file a report.
you can report it, but it should stay between the 2 boat owners and there insurance if its under $500.
over $500.... see my original post

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
bob, see your insurance peeps.
it DOES seem like YOU are in the right.
but check it. my fingers are crossed FOR YOU!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for crossing them for me iam not positive but being mich is a no fault state.with cars it would be the same with a boat.i actually made a claim back in july when this happend and had mine fixed.iam still going to call just to be sure though , future info for peeps i was supposed to call sheriff not coat guard i guess but they never told me this,chaulk it up to another learning experience the hard way.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Take a boating class, they teach you that!!!

most states require it to be turned into their office, not the CG unless no sherrif, local cops are in that area

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started too last year then got bumpend on to afternoons. will try again this winter. all guy talked about mostly though was partying. on the water made me want to leave class and drink.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats

Reporting Boating Accidents

The operator or owner of any recreational boat is required to file a Boating Accident Report (BAR) if the boat is involved in an accident that results in:

1. Loss of life; or
2. Personal injury which requires medical treatment beyond first aid; or
3. Damage to the boat and other property damage of $2,000 or more; or
4. Complete loss of the boat.

Boat operators are required to report their accident to local authorities in the State where the accident occurred.

Fatal Accidents
Immediate notification is required for fatal accidents. If a person dies or disappears as a result of a recreational boating accident, the nearest state boating authority must be notified without delay. The following information must be provided:

Date, time and exact location of the accident;
Name of each person who died or disappeared;
Number and name of the vessel; and
Name and address of the owner and operator.

Reporting Timelines
If a person dies, disappears from the boat, or there are injuries requiring medical treatment beyond first aid, a formal report must be filed within 48 hours of the accident.
A formal report must be made within 10 days for accidents involving property damage of $2,000 or more, or complete loss of a vessel.
Note: State requirements for Reporting Boating Accidents may be more stringent than Federal (i.e. some States require ALL boating accidents to be reported immediately). Check with the Boating Law Administrator in the State where the accident occurred for proper reporting procedures.

The U.S. Coast Guard Infoline
If you need further information regarding accident reporting, please call the U.S. Coast Guard Infoline at 800-368-5647.

Rendering Assistance
The master or person in charge of a vessel is obligated by law to provide assistance that can be safely provided to any individual in danger at sea. The master or person in charge is subject to a fine and/or imprisonment for failure to do so.

Requesting Towing Assistance (Non-Distress Call)
When a boater contacts the Coast Guard on channel 16 VHF-FM and the situation is determined to be non-distress, the Coast Guard will offer to contact any assistance provider (commercial or friend) the boater requests. If the boater has no preference, the Coast Guard will issue a Marine Assistance Request Broadcast (MARB) to all local commercial assistance providers approved by the Coast Guard.

A provider will contact the boater directly.

Making a Distress Call

"taken from USCG":
USCG Boating

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michigan Laws

Accidents and Casualties The operator of a vessel, or each person onboard, must report an occurrence without delay, by the quickest means available, to the nearest conservation officer, sheriff of the county, or nearest state police post when:

A person dies or...
• A person disappears from a vessel.
The operator or the owner of a vessel must file an accident report form supplied by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources within 48 hours if:

A person dies within 24 hours of the occurrence.
• A person loses consciousness or receives medical treatment or is disabled for more than 24 hours.
Or within 5 days if:
• Damage to the vessel and other property damage totals more than $2,000.00.
• A person disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury.
You must stop and render assistance is necessary to any person involved in a boating accident unless the action would endanger your own vessel or passengers.
You must give your name, address and Certificate of Number information in writing to any injured person and to the owner of any damaged property if you are involved in a boating accident.

this i typed from the Michigan Handbook of Boating Laws.
If anyone wants a copy, i have plenty to give away. winter is the best time to brush up on these things!!!!

as you can see Bob, some things have been updated.
it is now $2000 in damage, instead of the original $500., and in Michigan, its only 5 days to report.

Good Luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts