Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copy and paste from a muskie website-

The biggest fish of Garrett King's life was caught on a day that began like any other, but the result was like no other.

King, 23, and friend Josh Meyers, both of International Falls, Minnesota, left early the morning of Saturday, July 11, for a day of musky fishing across the border in Northwest Ontario. The lake they planned to visit was one they had previously fished for lake trout but had never before fished for muskies.

Let's just say they have a new favorite musky lake after catching a musky they're reporting at 61 inches in length. "I feel very fortunate to have caught such a fish," King said. "There was a lot of luck involved and the stars definitely aligned for everything to come together as perfectly as it did."

After catching one small musky and seeing a few lazy follows from small fish on rock points, King and Meyers decided to try fishing a spot they'd driven by earlier - a rock point with a weedbed in an inside turn. They noticed the water temperature was 66 degrees, slightly warmer than where they'd fished in the deeper sections of the lake.

King snapped on a firetiger TopRaider and cast it to the weeds. He said he and Meyers were talking and he was in midsentence when he heard a small splash. "Before I'd had time to register what I'd just heard, I felt tension on the line and firmly set the hook," King said.

"I could see this huge silver side and huge, blood-red tail and I yelled it was a big fish. Josh started getting the boat ready immediately. It never broke the surface. I kept the rod low and pulled with everything I had and she just powered back. I think it took four or five minutes to get her to the net," King said.

Said Meyers: "I recall seeing the side of that fish and thinking to myself 'Get everything out of the water that could possibly could get in his way.' I pulled the motor up, the trolling motor out, moved everything in the boat to the opposite side, and got my net ready. In my head there was no way that if he got 'Loch Ness' to the boat she was getting away. With all of my prep work of the gear, the fish didn't go to the side I wanted her to go, so I took the death grip off of the net handle and moved it all to the other side of the boat."

King continued: "Josh was ready with the net and neither of us thought it would fit in. He kept saying 'Turn her head, turn her head,' and I couldn't. She was doing whatever she wanted, but then she let up just long enough to pull her into the net and she just barely fit. Josh scooped her up perfectly. We instantly began screaming and giving each other high-fives."

Two weeks earlier, King and Meyers had left their measure stick at a cabin, so for this trip Meyers fashioned one from a two-piece net handle. "The larger section was marked out to exactly 55 inches, and snapped together the ruler went to 70 inches, something I noticed earlier in the day and got a chuckle out of because my biggest to that date had been a 44-incher," King said.

"Josh measured her. I kept waiting for him to tell me how big it was and he held it up and looked, and then put it down, and did it three times before he told me 'Sixty-one inches' and I said 'No way'," King said. "When I was fighting it I knew it was well over 50 inches but I had no idea it was that big." Meyers explained the three measurements: "I couldn't believe it and neither could Garrett. I then measured two more times just because 61 inches is very big."

Though King planned to take a girth measurement in the water, the boat leaned over as King put the fish back and the musky "gave a little wiggle" and was gone. "I had to let her go or we both would have gone in," he said.

"After the fish was gone, I quickly grabbed the camera and began looking through the pictures Josh had taken. I sat down and went over everything that had just happened, trying to soak it in as best as I could at the time. I was still having a hard time believing the length Josh told me, and tried measuring the width of my shoulders to compare to the fish in the pictures. After about 15 minutes, I finally came to terms with what had happened as best I could and started fishing again."

King said he didn't think twice about releasing his musky. "It never really crossed my mind to keep it," he said. For the record, King said he was using a Shimano Compre 8-foot heavy action rod, an Abu Garcia Revo Toro reel and 80-pound test Stren superbraid. Rick Lax Taxidermy is making a replica of the fish.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Sep 17 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Copy and paste from a muskie website-

The biggest fish of Garrett King's life was caught on a day that began like any other, but the result was like no other.

King, 23, and friend Josh Meyers, both of International Falls, Minnesota, left early the morning of Saturday, July 11, for a day of musky fishing across the border in Northwest Ontario. The lake they planned to visit was one they had previously fished for lake trout but had never before fished for muskies.

Let's just say they have a new favorite musky lake after catching a musky they're reporting at 61 inches in length. "I feel very fortunate to have caught such a fish," King said. "There was a lot of luck involved and the stars definitely aligned for everything to come together as perfectly as it did."

After catching one small musky and seeing a few lazy follows from small fish on rock points, King and Meyers decided to try fishing a spot they'd driven by earlier - a rock point with a weedbed in an inside turn. They noticed the water temperature was 66 degrees, slightly warmer than where they'd fished in the deeper sections of the lake.

King snapped on a firetiger TopRaider and cast it to the weeds. He said he and Meyers were talking and he was in midsentence when he heard a small splash. "Before I'd had time to register what I'd just heard, I felt tension on the line and firmly set the hook," King said.

"I could see this huge silver side and huge, blood-red tail and I yelled it was a big fish. Josh started getting the boat ready immediately. It never broke the surface. I kept the rod low and pulled with everything I had and she just powered back. I think it took four or five minutes to get her to the net," King said.

Said Meyers: "I recall seeing the side of that fish and thinking to myself 'Get everything out of the water that could possibly could get in his way.' I pulled the motor up, the trolling motor out, moved everything in the boat to the opposite side, and got my net ready. In my head there was no way that if he got 'Loch Ness' to the boat she was getting away. With all of my prep work of the gear, the fish didn't go to the side I wanted her to go, so I took the death grip off of the net handle and moved it all to the other side of the boat."

King continued: "Josh was ready with the net and neither of us thought it would fit in. He kept saying 'Turn her head, turn her head,' and I couldn't. She was doing whatever she wanted, but then she let up just long enough to pull her into the net and she just barely fit. Josh scooped her up perfectly. We instantly began screaming and giving each other high-fives."

Two weeks earlier, King and Meyers had left their measure stick at a cabin, so for this trip Meyers fashioned one from a two-piece net handle. "The larger section was marked out to exactly 55 inches, and snapped together the ruler went to 70 inches, something I noticed earlier in the day and got a chuckle out of because my biggest to that date had been a 44-incher," King said.

"Josh measured her. I kept waiting for him to tell me how big it was and he held it up and looked, and then put it down, and did it three times before he told me 'Sixty-one inches' and I said 'No way'," King said. "When I was fighting it I knew it was well over 50 inches but I had no idea it was that big." Meyers explained the three measurements: "I couldn't believe it and neither could Garrett. I then measured two more times just because 61 inches is very big."

Though King planned to take a girth measurement in the water, the boat leaned over as King put the fish back and the musky "gave a little wiggle" and was gone. "I had to let her go or we both would have gone in," he said.

"After the fish was gone, I quickly grabbed the camera and began looking through the pictures Josh had taken. I sat down and went over everything that had just happened, trying to soak it in as best as I could at the time. I was still having a hard time believing the length Josh told me, and tried measuring the width of my shoulders to compare to the fish in the pictures. After about 15 minutes, I finally came to terms with what had happened as best I could and started fishing again."

King said he didn't think twice about releasing his musky. "It never really crossed my mind to keep it," he said. For the record, King said he was using a Shimano Compre 8-foot heavy action rod, an Abu Garcia Revo Toro reel and 80-pound test Stren superbraid. Rick Lax Taxidermy is making a replica of the fish.

a lot of luck and a lot of lies lol. This is bull I got the skinny on it this fish ain't 55 inches

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Sep 17 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Copy and paste from a muskie website-

here you guyz compare k ?

http://www.1000islandsfishing.com/muskie.htm

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
They look similar in size to me the "61" may be a couple inchs bigger than Schrams 51 he caught yesterday
The guy may have thought he had a 61 with using their makeshift ruler but I don't believe its a 61 in
Water Cloud Sky Goggles Vertebrate

Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Sep 23 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They look similar in size to me the "61" may be a couple inchs bigger than Schrams 51 he caught yesterday
The guy may have thought he had a 61 with using their makeshift ruler but I don't believe its a 61 in
View attachment 66991

View attachment 66993

ive held my tongue on this, that fish is big but hes doing some photo tricks i see schram does it too. hes pushing his fingers up into the fish to distort the girth of the fish. thats why its hard to tell from a pic plus it appears the photo was taken from a angle wich makes fish look smaller as opposed to head on. i wasnt there to see it measured to say it is or isnt all i know its bigger then my boats best this season

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
That 55 does look bigger than the 58, maybe he had the numbers reversed on the pics. Or it could be the angle the pic was taken. They are still a couple of really nice fish. As we all know there are ways to make a fish look bigger for a photo.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(troller11 @ Sep 27 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Sep 23 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They look similar in size to me the "61" may be a couple inchs bigger than Schrams 51 he caught yesterday
View attachment 66991

View attachment 66993

ive held my tongue on this, that fish is big but hes doing some photo tricks i see schram does it too. hes pushing his fingers up into the fish to distort the girth of the fish. thats why its hard to tell from a pic plus it appears the photo was taken from a angle wich makes fish look smaller as opposed to head on. i wasnt there to see it measured to say it is or isnt all i know its bigger then my boats best this season

I can assure you that Schram did not need any tricks to decieve people about the girth of that fish it was thick the biggest I have seen since my 48 last year that was a thick one as well. I was there I saw the fish and I was the one who read the tape when measured.
Look at this comparison
My fish last year 48in
Water Sky Boat Fisherman Smile

48in Schram caught the same day a few hours after mine
Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Mammal

Some of these fish are just huge monsters

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.